• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

68-69 2wd

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Hey guys ...

Anyone heard or seen one of them "factory"- "mail truck" 68-69 two wheel drive EBs ?

any info or pix ???

what would be the special DSO for it ??
and what are the correct forth end donor parts used on the assembly line for it !!!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think there were pics here about 4-5 years ago of a 2wd ice cream truck based on a bronco frame.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I saw a '66 a long time ago with a ford straight axle mid 60's (F100) style. Old guy that had it thought it came out that way. It actually had a plow on it too.

OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Well .... looking for pix and info on an early bronco 2wd setup and pix !!!

would ford pull lets say .... new oem front end parts from a 1966-66 f100 to install it factory in 1968-69 on an EB ???

was schooled that anything after 66 from an f100 would not fit to the eb frame !??

& to be honest until today I didn't know ford made a 2wd early bronco version !!!

was hoping a special dso number would make quick work of deciphering its originality !!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There was never a 2WD Bronco.
Now the chassis (remember that whole parts bin thing that every car company has done forever and still does today) from a Bronco being used in a mail truck is known. But that is just a chassis and not a whole bronco. And probably not an exact Bronco chassis.

navalbronco66

Was watching counting cars on history a couple of months ago and the Count bought an early bronco that was somewhat started and the first thing I noticed was that it was 2WD. Well he did a beautiful job with the restoration and sold it for 50k to some Cali girl who would probably never appreciate for what the bronco is. Anyways, while the camera was going through th finished Bronco I noticed that it now had a front differential. I was like WTF, since when did the Broncos come in 2WD?

Anyone else catch that?

mattt

Bronco Guru
I think there were pics here about 4-5 years ago of a 2wd ice cream truck based on a bronco frame.

I just saw one of these in a local pyp yard in CA about 6 months ago. If I see another and I'm in the right place with other projects, I'd love to bring it home and adapt Bronco drivetrain under it...making a 4wd ice cream truck....might do well out in the Socal deserts on holidays.

There was never a 2WD Bronco.
Now the chassis (remember that whole parts bin thing that every car company has done forever and still does today) from a Bronco being used in a mail truck is known. But that is just a chassis and not a whole bronco. And probably not an exact Bronco chassis.

The 2 that I've seen in the last few years had a 66 Bronco frame with the forward, stud mount upper rear shock mounts. Other than some flat stock extensions to hold the body up above the frame, it looked exactly like a Bronco frame. I might have to take a few pics next time I see one. They come in waves around here.....see a few in rapid succession, then don't see any for years.

Chethair

Loc.
Talbott, Tn
2wd Bronco

Frank talk with Clarrance or Thomas from Krawlers Edge. I believe they may have seen something like that here local a few years ago.

OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Frank talk with Clarrance or Thomas from Krawlers Edge. I believe they may have seen something like that here local a few years ago.

thanks for the info ... called Thomas ... he knows and seen a 66 mail truck in Knoxville !
waiting for front end pix from him to compare w. the 68-69 i seen yesterday !!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Get thegreatjustino on it

Would be nice to get his perspective on it sense its in his area.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Get thegreatjustino on it

Would be nice to get his perspective on it sense its in his area.

Right hand drive as well! Build it into a real Bronco 2WD right hand drive & it's about as unique as you can get.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I worked out of one. After high school I worked as a mail carrier till the draft board decided I needed to go to Nam in 1970. By late '73 I bought a new '74 model Bronco of my own. Even in high school we knew Vietnam was a likely part of our future so tho I wanted a Bronco it had to wait. At that time the roadsters were the ultimate fun car in my mind. I crawled under the mail truck that I parked next to a Bronco. The front suspension was close to the Bronco with a simple tube front axle. The rest of the chassis was EB sans the transfer case and with a C4. All small PO vehicles were right hand drive even the weird 3 wheel thing that was driven while standing. Not safe but efficient. Parking cops used them too.