• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

68 bronco ?????

zoob

Loc.
Long Island, NY
I have a 68 bronco 289 three speed what rear would I be running and which disk conversion would i need??? Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
9in rear but you need to determine what brake size it currently has ie 10" or 11" brakes that will determine which conversion you need. Although for the most part rear disc brakes are a waste. Have you converted to front discs yet?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The front can be converted using what we call the GM conversion. There is plenty of information already posted about it. I would start with the pre-written tech article you can find on the left of this page. It will work with either the original dana 30 front axle your truck came with or the later model dana 44 if one was swapped in.

Rear axle is not based on engine. Based on GVW package. And as mentioned generaly don't need disks back there.

That will just add capacity and does better at stopping straight. Still will have a heavy pedal (that is the manual brakes). Going to power brakes will give a lighter pedal pressure, but will also magnify and issues you have with the brakes. Even then power brakes come in a couple of different versions. for the most part vacuum brakes are almost never used anymore as we found the hydroboost works so much better.

That should be enough to get your research started. If you need any details filled in we know those too.

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
the front i just bought a full size 44 with disc brakes i took the whole knuckle off the 44 and just went and bought some new calipers and rotors. works out perfectly and on the rear i put the 98 explorer disc brake conversion on it, it only works with the big bearing 9inch and the thing has awesome brakes now!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
the front i just bought a full size 44 with disc brakes i took the whole knuckle off the 44 and just went and bought some new calipers and rotors. works out perfectly and on the rear i put the 98 explorer disc brake conversion on it, it only works with the big bearing 9inch and the thing has awesome brakes now!

Fine for you, but that won't work on a stock '68. You can't bolt on Dana 44 ball joint knuckles onto a king pinned Dana 30 housing.