• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6cyl carb

green67

Loc.
Mesa, Az
Hi, New to the form as well as to the world of Broncos. I just purchased a stock but cut 67 with the 170 6cyl and the three on the tree. My question is are there any good after market carbs for this engine. My stocker is leaking gas and it does not run very well. Just considering the options, Thanks.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not really any that I'm aware of that are a bolt-on replacement for the old Autolite 1V. But heck..very reliable and dirt simple carb that they are..why not just spend the 15 bucks on the rebuild kit and fix 'er up?

njs76

Loc.
pittstown
one barrel carb

Check out PonyCarbs.com - they make a great bolt on replacement. the Vaporizer 1100 Carb.

OP
OP
green67

green67

Loc.
Mesa, Az
Thanks for the info. I will look into those options. Having mine rebuilt is not at all a bad choice. I was just wondering what was out there. Where did you get the rebuild kit?

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
If it's gummed up any, try some carb dip before installing the rebuild kit. I never heard of it till the guys here recommended it, and it works great. Not only did it clean it out inside but it looks like new on the outside.

The reason to do it before is you do not want any gaskets or plastic parts to be in the dip, so doing the dip first will help remove old gasket remnants and not ruin the new ones.

Just don't leave it in there for extended periods of time, I left mine in for 24 hours without ill effects, but if you use a very strong dip that may be too long.

njs76

Loc.
pittstown
The Carburetor Doctor at WWW.carbkitsource.com has rebild kits for your carb. Just get the nunber off the base of the carb. Most of the one barrel, manual choke kits are around $28.00. Dissassemble your carb and soak it in alcohol for a few days. Then put it back together with the rebuild kit and as long as you put it together properly it will not leak and it will run as good as new. They are very reliable carbs.

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
Thats a great way to jump in to working on your own stuff. It's a super simple carb, not much different from a lawnmower. I definitely second the carb dip, awesome stuff. When I did mine I got the kit from pony carbs but only because I needed some missing parts as well, there are probably cheaper options.
Most important, make sure you pay attention to where all the pieces go...

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Sounds funny, but I grabbed a 1-bbl off an early 80's Mustang with the 2.3 4-cylinder engine and put if on the 200 in the 66 I just sold. Bolted right on and really worked well. Came with an electric choke which was far better than the manual one. I just plugged off all the smog stuff. Worked great and seemed to have quite a bit more power.

Last edited:

oldiron

Bronco Guru
carb building trick

Here's a trick I learned years ago that really helps when rebuilding carbs.....
spread out a white terry cloth towel and do the rebuild on it. Lay the parts out in an order that makes sense to you ( I try to lay mine out so that it resembles an exploded view). The towel makes it easy to see all the little parts and usually prevents small rolly parts from disappearing. It'll absorb any undrained fuel (keeping the mrs happy) and makes cleanup a lot easier.
Hope this helps
Greg

OP
OP
green67

green67

Loc.
Mesa, Az
Thanks again for the good advice. I was doing some research today and the 6cyl appears not to have much support. I love the idea of the 6cyl but, can you find parts in the after market to keep them running strong?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Thanks again for the good advice. I was doing some research today and the 6cyl appears not to have much support. I love the idea of the 6cyl but, can you find parts in the after market to keep them running strong?

There's a small but passionate group of I6 supporters. Check out Clifford Performance. 6 = 8

Worst thing about the 170-200 engine is the log intake integrated directly on the head. But there are fixes for that!

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
classicinlines.com has a lot of stuff for them too. The 200ci I6 came in a pile of early Mustangs. "Most" of the parts for a 144, 170ci and 200ci crossover and some of the 250ci parts. There are still enough parts available to keep it going for a long time.

OP
OP
green67

green67

Loc.
Mesa, Az
Very cool thanks again. I will order the carb kit and go from there. I just love the sound of that little 6.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Word of advise. Anything you buy from Cliffords, do it over the phone and verify item is in stock. My personal experience dealing with them.

bmbm

If you like six cylinder motors definitely go to fordsix.com also purchase a copy of the Falcon performance manual. A pertronix module and a carb from a later 200 may work with that 170 for a mild performance increase.