• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'71 Build Plan Thoughts

strider

Loc.
Holland
After having to sell my 74, I have chosen a 71 to replace it. The 71 isn't mine yet, but a buddy owns it and is holding it for me for a few months (yeah, I owe him!). I'm on the road 75% of the time with most of my off road coming via sand dunes. I drive to and from each rec area, no trailer for me. I like to run around 70 on the highway which, as you'll see below, should net me around 2275 RPMs.

It has a blown 302 (runs but knocks hard in the lower), 3 speed, d20 with stock axles (drums on both d30 and 9") with 3.50 gears.

To replace the factoryoptions I have a 95 351w (5.8) from an f150, a 4r70w 4x4 tranny, and a disk brake d44 front axle. I just grabbed the engine and tranny over the weekend.

My driveline thought is to run the 351w, 4r70w, np205, d44 & 9" with 4.56 gears, and 33" tires. Thoughts? What shifter options are the best for the 4r70w (floor shift, didn't fall in love with the ratchet shifter I used in a TJ build but didn't hate it either).

351w plan: rebuild .030 over with gt40 heads, headers , efi (still reviewing intake options), serp setup, and true duals with X-over pipe.

4r70w plan: have rebuilt to stock, run the USQ1 controller and HPF1 wiring harness.

NP 205 plan: replace seals and run it, twin-stick it.

This thread is my way of planning so please share thoughts or just read along. This build will take a long time as I'm planning to build a house and a 68 Bel Air (daughter just has to have it).

Last edited:

Bferrari

Sounds like a solid foundation. I live 20 minutes from Pismo Beach, CA sand dunes and have spent quite a bit of time out there. I would definately look into doing EFI on the motor build. Is there a specific reason you are looking to go NP205 over the D20?

OP
OP
strider

strider

Loc.
Holland
The 4r70w is not a direct bolt-up to the D20 so I'm looking at the NP205 as a lest costly option than an adapter. I can sell the D20 for at least as much as I will spend on the NP205. I don't rock crawl so the lack of super low range won't impact me with the axle gears changing from 3.50s (at least I don't see it impacting me).

I don't like the bigger case and shorter drive shaft, but I'm only going to run a 3" or 3.5" lift so I should be able to bypass driveline vibes without any heroics. If I remember right, I can run the combination u-joints so even that won't be a big deal.

The biggest hassle I'm envisioning is the addition of another t-case crossmember. I have access to a full machine shop so fabricating something won't be too bad.

If I'm overlooking anything, please chime in. I won't want to do this twice because I didn't see a problem before I created it.

Thanks!