• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

71 Frame Off Build/ Finished (Maybe?)

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Tito, originally the plan was to paint the flares, but after picking up these wheels I think the black ring, and black flares will tie in the wheels really well. I do have the silver rings still if I don't sell them, I guess I could have them powder coated to match some day...

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Keep up the good work it's going to turn out great.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Not much to report, but Reuben my body shop buddy, came over yesterday and showed me how to get rid of runs. The first was the razor blade trick, which worked well and was fast, but the second seemed crazy! If you look at the pictures, that's polly filler applied directly to fresh paint. The theory is that as you sand the filler you knock down the high spots of the run evenly, when you sand through the filler the run is gone, and it's flat. It only took about 2 minutes once the filler set up. I have to say it works awesome. Other than a little pigment staining you can't tell there was ever a run there.

Today I installed the drivers side flares. Only took 6 drill bits to do it, I need to start buying bits in bulk.

Attachments

• PICT8935.JPG
    PICT8935.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 211
  • PICT8949.JPG
    PICT8949.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 245
  • PICT8947.JPG
    PICT8947.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 226
  • PICT8945.JPG
    PICT8945.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 238
  • PICT8943.JPG
    PICT8943.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 216
  • PICT8942.JPG
    PICT8942.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 232
  • PICT8937.JPG
    PICT8937.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 205
  • PICT8936.JPG
    PICT8936.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 193

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
That polyfiller trick is crazy! I like it, wish I'da known about that earlier. I used the razor blade trick for all of them. Lookin good

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
John, I understood what we were doing, but I didn't have the nerve to put filler on fresh paint. Now I think I could do it all day long. The edges that weren't sanded peeled right off with the razor blade. It's an awesome body shop trick that I'm sure isn't common knowledge...

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I've tried it before but the filler tends to stain the paint, especially if it's fresh. Razor blade and 400 thru to 2000 works great too.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
It did show in the pores, but it wet sanded right out with 600, the next step is 1000, then 1500, I'll buff from there. I want a good shine, but not the flat as glass show paint. It will be easier to repair if it's not 'perfect'...

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
This was a very busy weekend with awesome results. I had the booth for a total of 24 hours, and my goal was not to leave the shop until it was done. Saturday started at 4:00 AM coming up with a game plan and getting everything I'd need to take to the shop. By 8:00 I had everything packed up so I went out to pick up a trailer I borrowed, and bt 11:00 I was unloading everything at the shop.

It took a few hours to get everything situated and prepped, and at 2:15 PM I started to lay paint. By 6:30 AM we were finished laying paint, everything turned out great except the hood. My body shop buddy Reuben was helping me (I wouldn't have made it without an experienced hand) we knew the hood had about a 60/40 chance of turning out right. Well as fate would have it, it needs to be re-shot on another date, but I still need to shoot the interior floor so it's not a biggie.

I made it home at about 8:00 and was back at 11:00 to start taking stuff home.

Here's a few shots of the end result. After a week or two, or four I'll color sand and buff it so it will be even better!

The dash, door panels, and top are next.

Attachments

• PICT8959.JPG
    PICT8959.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 174
  • PICT8964.JPG
    PICT8964.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 179
  • PICT8963.JPG
    PICT8963.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 211
  • PICT8962.JPG
    PICT8962.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 170
  • PICT8958.JPG
    PICT8958.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 174
  • PICT8955.JPG
    PICT8955.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 146

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Turning out very nicely-have to like a well done red bronco :)

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
2:15 PM to 6:30 AM? How many coats did you put on that sucker?

Looks great, BTW

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Devin, I put 3 medium to heavy coats on everything. The booth is a moderate size and dictated painting thing's in 3 different stages. So I painted the tub first, waited 30 minutes between each coat, then waited about 2 hours for the paint to 'skin' over before we moved it out of the booth. Then we moved everything else in, finished taping everything off, and wiped it all down, then waited 30 minutes between coats, then waited another couple of hours to move that out, then repeated the process on the hood.

In the process we also decided to go ahead and re-shoot the doors instead of touching up a few areas. So we did quite a bit of wet sanding with 1000 grit, and also had to repair a couple of spots on the hood, spot prime, then wait for that to dry, sand, then paint. Because of the rush hood repair, we pretty much figured we would have to re-paint it again. That added a few hours.

When I sprayed the hood I had a very hard time getting the pattern right on the last coat. I played with the adjustments and couldn't get a wet pattern until about the last 4 laps or so. I'm not sure if it was because it was 5:30 in the morning or what but I for some reason just finished it up that way. It has some pretty bad tiger stripes in it. As I was cleaning up my gun there was a stringy clump of paint at the bottom of the cup at the filter, I guess I let paint stay in the gun too long... Since I'm already planning to re-shoot it it's not a biggie, but we'll wet sand with 600-1000 and if the dry spots and the stripes come out, great! But if not we'll re-shoot it when I spray the floor.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Send it anytime! I'm actually looking for someone who wants me to do a build for them... I really thought I would dread the body and paint part but as much hard work as it was I really enjoyed it.

RubberTramp

Not much to report, but Reuben my body shop buddy, came over yesterday and showed me how to get rid of runs. The first was the razor blade trick, which worked well and was fast, but the second seemed crazy! If you look at the pictures, that's polly filler applied directly to fresh paint. The theory is that as you sand the filler you knock down the high spots of the run evenly, when you sand through the filler the run is gone, and it's flat. It only took about 2 minutes once the filler set up. I have to say it works awesome. Other than a little pigment staining you can't tell there was ever a run there.

Today I installed the drivers side flares. Only took 6 drill bits to do it, I need to start buying bits in bulk.

That is a old very useful method and works great! If you have small runs they make a nib /run remover that makes it alot easier if you dont have alot to sand out and a varible speed buffer is worth its weight in gold.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Devin, I put 3 medium to heavy coats on everything. The booth is a moderate size and dictated painting thing's in 3 different stages. So I painted the tub first, waited 30 minutes between each coat, then waited about 2 hours for the paint to 'skin' over before we moved it out of the booth. Then we moved everything else in, finished taping everything off, and wiped it all down, then waited 30 minutes between coats, then waited another couple of hours to move that out, then repeated the process on the hood.

In the process we also decided to go ahead and re-shoot the doors instead of touching up a few areas. So we did quite a bit of wet sanding with 1000 grit, and also had to repair a couple of spots on the hood, spot prime, then wait for that to dry, sand, then paint. Because of the rush hood repair, we pretty much figured we would have to re-paint it again. That added a few hours.

When I sprayed the hood I had a very hard time getting the pattern right on the last coat. I played with the adjustments and couldn't get a wet pattern until about the last 4 laps or so. I'm not sure if it was because it was 5:30 in the morning or what but I for some reason just finished it up that way. It has some pretty bad tiger stripes in it. As I was cleaning up my gun there was a stringy clump of paint at the bottom of the cup at the filter, I guess I let paint stay in the gun too long... Since I'm already planning to re-shoot it it's not a biggie, but we'll wet sand with 600-1000 and if the dry spots and the stripes come out, great! But if not we'll re-shoot it when I spray the floor.

Man, that sounds busy. I am nervous about mine. I am already ready in my mind for it to not look super-great, but I also don't want it to look like complete ass. The booth that I am using is pretty small, but I have a pretty good plan to be able to shoot it all together (not the top or the inside). Plus, the booth that I rent doesn't have a time limit. He actually only charges for the days you are prepping or spraying. Then he lets me leave it in for a few days with the boilers turned up to get it good and dry.

Awesome, awesome work. I wish that I had the patience and enjoyed it. But I really, really HATE body work. I just want to get mine shot so that I can forget about it. ;D

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Finished up the paint on the body this last weekend. It turned out ok, but it looked like I was 'hangning curtains' inside! I spent about a day and a half working the runs out. They're not completely gone, but much better. I still need to paint the top, and will probably redo the dash. But it's coming along...

The grill still needs a little work. The line between the red and white isn't as straight as I wanted but I'm thinking a pin stripe at the line will clean it up...

6 weeks left, I need to get crackin!:-X

Attachments

• PICT8966.JPG
    PICT8966.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 185
  • PICT8968.JPG
    PICT8968.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 172
  • PICT8969.JPG
    PICT8969.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 168
  • PICT8970.JPG