• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

72 bronco uncut tire fitting question

cwelcome

I have a '72 Bronco, uncut, and am ready to lift it and switch out wheels and tires... with a 3" suspension and 3" body lift, what size tires could I roll with?

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This has been cover a lot and it really depends if your LUBER will see trail duty or not. I'd use the search function and find one of the many threads out there on the topic and come back after you read up a little.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is a great thread titled "show me your LUBR's" or something like that with lots of pictures and talk about tire sizes.

Basically even with tall lifts, your uncut fenders are the limiting factors. Obviously.
Which is why you won't find as many uncut Broncos with 6" of lift as you will find cut ones. It probably looks funny to many, what with that much height yet not being able to run the size tire appropriate for that much lift.

The critical factor for the rear is the wheel and tire width, and wheel offset.
For the front it's that, plus width. If you're keeping completely uncut, running a 33x10.50x15 on 7" wide wheels might be what you end up with. Pretty short for a 6" lift, but not likely to cause much grief in the sheet-metal department.

Basically with 6" of lift you could probably fit 36" tall tires without breaking a sweat if you were fully cut, but with uncut rear fenders, you're pretty limited to a 7 or 8 inch wheel, with a 10" wide tire.
A 255x85x16 might give you the tall and skinny of it, but depending on the wheel offset you might still rub.

And they'd be too tall for the front I'm thinking. Maybe not, but not sure as my knowledge of larger tires with uncut Broncos is pretty limited. As most likely are most of us. Though I could be way off on that score too. Might be more tall LUBER's out there than I realize. Don't see too many larger-tired ones though.

But I would imagine someone's done it or contemplated it enough to give you some answers.
Your search will net you tons of more modestly lifted and modestly shod examples. But not so much for the height you're talking about.

What are your goals? Fun in the sun, or wheeling off-road? Engine? Gearing in the differentials? Transmission type?
What "look" are you going for? Do you really need it that tall? Is it because you have a certain tire size in mind, or are you kind of neutral on that score?
Enquiring minds need to know! ;D

Good luck.

Paul

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Everyone,

This has become a topic of interest to me, too. I have done a little searching... just not wanting to make too much of a career out of it.

My situation is that we will soon take delivery of our newly painted Bronco, complete with new metal and fit body panels. We can't wait!

Basically we took a 1972 body and swapped it onto a 1970 frame. There is a 3-1/2" suspension lift and a 2" body lift. Presently there are 35" tires on 15" wheels.

We made the decision not to cut the fenders... at least not right away. I'm hoping we can use the 35" wheels as rollers until the reassembly is complete.

There are lots of opinions about cutting versus not cutting. Our intent wasn't to build a show truck; but, with the body and paint work, and the fact there will be no rust, we're not sure which way to go. (The truck is built for crawling, and that's really the direction I would like to go.) I guess we are still not sure if we should build it to keep it, or build it to possibly sell.

I always value Paul's opinion. It looks like we should look at running 33s at the largest, and maybe we'll need to run a narrower wheel with the 33" tires.

Anything smaller than 33s would probably look really peculiar with the lift. I'm just curious if anyone has run into a situation where 33s were too large for the amount of lift we're talking about.

Thanks for any advice.

Take Care,

Jeff

Firedog67

Mine has 3 1/2" suspension and 1"body. I run 255/85/16 (33.3x10x16) and it does not hit under full flex. No body modification were done.

Many threads to cover this topic.

J

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What are the specs on your wheels too Firedog?

Paul

mini73

"BF Goodrich KM2. 255/85/16 mounted to AR172 16x8 with 4 1/2" back spacing". Looked and took this from his garage pics. This is the way I am wanting to go with mine eventually except I am using 15's. Best look for a uncut IMO.

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Firedog67,

Mine has 3 1/2" suspension and 1"body. I run 255/85/16 (33.3x10x16) and it does not hit under full flex. No body modification were done.

Thanks

I know... I searched and I read several of the ones that were similar. Sorry for asking the question again.

Jeff

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi mini73,

"BF Goodrich KM2. 255/85/16 mounted to AR172 16x8 with 4 1/2" back spacing". Looked and took this from his garage pics. This is the way I am wanting to go with mine eventually except I am using 15's. Best look for a uncut IMO.

Thanks for taking the time to research and post.

I'm still leaning toward cutting... I just don't want to rush into it. It's a lot easier (and less expensive) to cut than to un-do cutting.

Jeff

901bronco

Loc.
Memphis
33 or 35's

New to forum and just got 75 bronco w/ 3.5" lift. I just put 33x12.5x15's on it but now I am thinking 35's. I beleive I have 411 gears but any thoughts on goin to 35's would be appreciated. The 33's just look small on it. Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome 901! Glad to see you here with another fun EB. Personally I think the 33's look good on a 3.5" lift, but I know some, like you, think that's not enough with so much air in the wheel wells. Sometimes depends on how high the fender flares were installed though.
Assuming yours is cut that is.

Lots of threads about that exact question, so you might be able to find some pics of Broncos with your hoped-for combination. Shame to waste new tires, but newer is easier to sell on too I suppose!

Good luck.

Paul

BroncoBernie

Tires

If you stick to the street no problem running this size tire, I built this truck to do go off road but still cant find any trails around here. So I wait and so far this truck is a pavement pounder. LOL So not going to cut for now. 5.5 Duffs lift 1 inch body, 295/70/18 4.5 backspacing -12 off-set http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi9j5iAKJEk

mini73

If you stick to the street no problem running this size tire, I built this truck to do go off road but still cant find any trails around here. So I wait and so far this truck is a pavement pounder. LOL So not going to cut for now. 5.5 Duffs lift 1 inch body, 295/70/18 4.5 backspacing -12 off-set http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi9j5iAKJEk

Nice looking Bronco. Did you have a build thread on this on hear? Would like to know some more about it.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Good looking rig,I have a 5.5in.suspension (WildHorses) and 1in.body lift,it sits pretty tall so I was hoping to fit some 35s,its also a Luber,cool color too by the way:cool:

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson

J
8" wide wheels? This is it here?

Capture_zpsd3e7a0f8.jpg

Im looking at running a 17x8.5 with a 255/75/17. 3.5" SL 1" BL

Casey835

su3ademu.jpg
y2azebyp.jpg

With that being said I don't trail ride.
It has never hit driving down the road.
Everytime it has hit, I knew it was and was going very very slow. It was also doing driving up banks or something like in the pic. Those are 35x14.50-15s.

jimmyk

Contributor
Nice Rig FireDog. That is the stance/look I'm going after......In 10 yrs when it is done, I will post pics of mine!!