• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

72 Stroppe - 2 year surgery

andyp

Contributor
"Super slow turtle painter” LOL it seems like they all are that way! But it’s a a lot of work to get it right. If his quality is good you’ll forget how slow he was. Maybe…;)

OP
OP
rmiller747

rmiller747

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Highland, Mi
Any updates on this one Rich?

Hank

Well. This is a tough subject for me. I was so excited to get this bronco and get it done but it has been just hell. Painter F##$ked my eyeballs out. Sad as this guy has painted 2-3 of my broncos before and i never had one big issue. I really don't understand it. Everything from thin base, sags, chips, scratches from trying to fit panels, fit was absolutely terrible, no clearcoat on windshield hinge, didn't use the fender welting that I gave him, etc, etc. I can go on and on.

I am so pissed I really don't even wont this bronco any more. When I am done I may just throw it up on ebay as I just get pissed at all the extra money being spent now to fix crap that was originally paid for already. Ugggh..

To this point about 85% has been fixed by him or someone else. This will be the last time I use this guy. Still waiting to get a couple other issues fixed. Sad part is my dumbass paid him as I trusted this idiot as we had history. Now I have no leverage. What an idiot I am. The pics posted previous were not from me and I did not see the bronco in person. Yes it looked great in the pics but once i saw it in person it was not pretty.

Keep in mind I run a Ford Assembly Plant Paint shop for a living so I am very particular about the paint on my broncos (except my trail rig). But these issues were over and above in my mind. I would be embarrassed to ship a vehicle like this from my shop.

Anyway, back to being positive. It is getting there slowly;. I havent taken any pics in a while but i attached some old ones from when i picked it up from the painters finally. Rig is running now, steering in, shift linkage hooked up, brakes bled, wiring complete, door guts assembled, all windows in but the liftgate. I will take some pics this week and post up.

Need to finish the interior, last window, wiper stuff, emergency brake and lots of little stuff and still waiting on the spare tire parts from the painter.

It will feel better when I actually get to finally drive this thing down the road….

IMAGE_3212.jpg

IMAGE_3013.jpg

IMAGE_3003.jpg

IMAGE_3009.jpg

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
Rich It looks real good from here! Even with the problems it will be better than most broncos out there once you get it back together you will feel better about it.;)

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Where did you find your slider window felt? I could never find any that would fit correctly.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Rich I am sorry for all the grief with the painter but I sure hope you don't sell it when its done. Maybe give yourself a cooling off period first. I love the Stroppe broncos and having one in your collection is way cool. It sucks when someone like that screws you over but I really hope it does not make you get rid of it. If you do have to get rid of it though I'll trade you for my blue bronco.;D I look forward to seeing this on the road. Hey by the way, how about setting up another Bakers of Milford cruise date. If you could do it a weekend other than dream cruise that would be best but whatever you can work out. Go "Bronco Boys"!!

Hank

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Sorry to hear about your paint experience. Now you don't have to worry about getting that first stone chip or scratch. LOL

OP
OP
rmiller747

rmiller747

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Highland, Mi
Rich I am sorry for all the grief with the painter but I sure hope you don't sell it when its done. Maybe give yourself a cooling off period first. I love the Stroppe broncos and having one in your collection is way cool. It sucks when someone like that screws you over but I really hope it does not make you get rid of it. If you do have to get rid of it though I'll trade you for my blue bronco.;D I look forward to seeing this on the road. Hey by the way, how about setting up another Bakers of Milford cruise date. If you could do it a weekend other than dream cruise that would be best but whatever you can work out. Go "Bronco Boys"!!

Hank

Yeah...it will be near perfect when it is finally done. We will see.

Just posted up on the outing. Thanks for the reminder. I will get ahold of my buddy that owns Bakers and get the talks going.

Later.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
If it works and you have extra, want to sell me enough to do my two windows?

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Must be something in the air....I'm grumpy at one of my painters too. We'll get over it.

OP
OP
rmiller747

rmiller747

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Highland, Mi
Since i didnt get to go up to silver lake this weekend :( I will post some pics. Almost done. Need to install the seat belts, front bumper, rear reflectors...some little stuff.
Going back to the painter this week to fix the thin base on the hood, thin base on the driver door and the windshield hinge and then pick up my spare tire stuff from him. Yes i will get over the painter issues but I needed to vent.

Note: in the first couple of pics i had the roll bars swapped right to left...oops. Fixed since.

Later

Attachments

• IMG_00438.jpg
    IMG_00438.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_00436.jpg
    IMG_00436.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_00441.jpg
    IMG_00441.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_00444.jpg
    IMG_00444.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_00447.jpg
    IMG_00447.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_00448.jpg
    IMG_00448.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_00454.jpg
    IMG_00454.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_00460.jpg
    IMG_00460.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_00458.jpg
    IMG_00458.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_00455.jpg
    IMG_00455.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_00465.jpg
    IMG_00465.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_00450.jpg
    IMG_00450.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 116

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking great!! Venting helps. Will be great to cruise this one around.

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Rich,

I have to laugh at the comments you and Andrew made about the painters.

The '72 body that I bought still isn't right. The front end just isn't lining up. About a month ago I suggested to the painter that he cut it all apart and start over. The painter had nothing to do with the bad fit... he's just trying to make things right from the previous owner. There are some extras that I need to cover; but, I paid the balance of the original bill a month ago. I hope I don't lose his interest.

I don't have anything bad to say about the painter... I just wish I would have known at the start of the body work how far off it was. It probably would have been worth spending th money up front.

I haven't been to the shop for a few weeks. Your posts have motivated me to make a trip over this morning.

I think your Stroppe looks awesome. I've been involved with automotive assembly plant paint shops for over 40 years... I don't know very many guys in the business who aren't perfectionist, particularly about their own vehicles. I'd imagine there are a lot of us who would take it off your hands if you ever get that far. (I suspect you'll put your touches on it, and you'll really be happy with it.)

Good luck.

Jeff

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I have seen it in person. It looks great. Rich is a meticulous person and more critical then most. I would guess it has something to do with his profession as he said. To 95% + of the population it it is perfect.

OP
OP
rmiller747

rmiller747

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Highland, Mi
Got the winch bumper attached, old restored vintage Belleview winch on but not wired. A bit of a task by yourself. Fabbed up brackets and new cover plate pieces.

Happy with it. Looks sweet.

And yes Beau...I have issues. Just ask my wife and she will agree :). Damn

3yza5e3y.jpg
2epunyga.jpg
upyjaqa9.jpg

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got the winch bumper attached, old restored vintage Belleview winch on but not wired. A bit of a task by yourself. Fabbed up brackets and new cover plate pieces.

Happy with it. Looks sweet.

And yes Beau...I have issues. Just ask my wife and she will agree :). Damn

3yza5e3y.jpg
2epunyga.jpg
upyjaqa9.jpg

The only "issues" you have is that you are a broncoholic Rich! Admit it! Every wife will agree. They are just jealous of the other women you play with! The Baja looks awesome, even with the hiccups. tim