• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

74 2BBL 302 Original Vacuum Diagram

OP
OP
P

PumpkinOrange

Contributor
Looks like GR/RD has a connector (C-206) somewhere between ignition switch and regulator connector.
Might be able to check for power on purple wire at throttle control solenoid.
Here is a link to seabuscuit68's schematics.
[/URL]

will figure that out and do so
Thank you Dirtdonk and Oldtimer. I am pretty sure i found the problem. The green wire with the red stripe goes up into the harness that goes out with the plug that plugs into the electrical unit that is on the driver side of the carburator, not the elsectric choke on the passenger side that goes to sta on the alternator. this is something that i did when replacing some wires that looked bad in the harness. I also bipassed the safety nuetral safety switch that is in this same harness. I am sure the green wire is not supposed to be directly wired to the unit on the carb and possibly both this green wire with the red stripe and the carburator wire should both be tied into the red wire with a blue stripe that goes to the nuetral safety switch and i need to reconnect the switch and not bypass it. (i only bypassed it because one wire was bad and i dont care about the switch) Long story short i think the green wire with the red strip and the electrical unit to the carburator should both be spliced into the wire going to the nuetral safety switch. Thoughts??
I am going to figure out how to be a contributer so i can post picks and it is definately well worth it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nope. Stop right there.
The red with blue stripe wire is completely separate from the red with green stripe wire. They don’t share the same duties, don’t share the same function, and you will have big problems if you put them on the same circuit.
In other words, as soon as you turn the key on, the engine will try to start.
The red with blue wire has only one function on an older bronco before electronic ignition (73 and earlier) and two functions after electronic ignition.
It goes straight from the key to the neutral safety switch and then from there to the starter relay at the “S“ post.
Don’t attach anything else to it. Unless it needs a start only signal, such as a computer or electronic ignition.

Back to the red with green wire, it’s common for it to be spliced into that carburetor idle solenoid, but not exclusively.
It’s most important function is to energize the voltage regulator.
So get that reconnected and, with any luck, you’re charging problems will go away.

OP
OP
P

PumpkinOrange

Contributor
Nope. Stop right there.
The red with blue stripe wire is completely separate from the red with green stripe wire. They don’t share the same duties, don’t share the same function, and you will have big problems if you put them on the same circuit.
In other words, as soon as you turn the key on, the engine will try to start.
The red with blue wire has only one function on an older bronco before electronic ignition (73 and earlier) and two functions after electronic ignition.
It goes straight from the key to the neutral safety switch and then from there to the starter relay at the “S“ post.
Don’t attach anything else to it. Unless it needs a start only signal, such as a computer or electronic ignition.

Back to the red with green wire, it’s common for it to be spliced into that carburetor idle solenoid, but not exclusively.
It’s most important function is to energize the voltage regulator.
So get that reconnected and, with any luck, you’re charging problems will go away.
Thank you, i just need to find the other end of green wire with red stripe and tie them back together.

OP
OP
P

PumpkinOrange

Contributor
Looks like GR/RD has a connector (C-206) somewhere between ignition switch and regulator connector.
Might be able to check for power on purple wire at throttle control solenoid.
Here is a link to seabuscuit68's schematics.
[/URL]

View attachment 915567
Nowhere does the green with red strip wire hook up to the ignition. ends at where it splices into the red and yellow wire that goes to the brake warning lamp and the blue wire that goes to the throttle sensor. Looks like i need to run a wire from this connection point to the ignition where the red and green (#16) wire goes.

OP
OP
P

PumpkinOrange

Contributor
that's a problem. Red w/green and Green w/red share the "I" for Ignition terminal

definitely
well i definately learned something here. Electrical has never been my strong point. I should have upgraded to contiributor abut 15 posts ago and sent pictures. Thanks again for the help and am sure it won't be the last time!