• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

74 Bronco C4 transmission not shifting to high

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
My Bronco has been shifting just fine. Took it to a car show yesterday with no problems.
I got in it today to take a spin and it doesn't seem to be shifting right. Had to stand on the gas to get it to shift. I don't think it is shifting into 3rd.
Why would it just start this all of a sudden? Modulator?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, make sure the kickdown is not stuck. Up at the carb a spring should pull it forward, out of the engaged position. Good luck

oldiron

Bronco Guru
also check to see that the vacuum line to the modulator hasn't come off.
Greg

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Look in the vacuum hose at the modulator and make sure there isnt any tranny fluid in there.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, what Rustytruck is saying is: pull the rubber hose off of the vacuum modulator, on the passenger side of the tranny. If the rubber hose is wet with transmission fluid the modulator is shot. The fluid should never come out. You may as well check the whole vacuum hose from the manifold to the tranny for age, cracks and leaks, if the hose has the old dried up look, just replace it. Good luck

OP
OP
West Tn Dawg

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
also check to see that the vacuum line to the modulator hasn't come off.
Greg

You nailed it Greg!
It had come off and was hanging down. Hose feels pretty hard. Plan to replace it tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

OP
OP
West Tn Dawg

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
Replaced the vacuum line and transmission is shifting better than ever. It has been leaking for a while, it appears. My brakes were also giving me problems at idle. Found that this leak was robbing vaccum from the brakes. Brakes are now good as new! :):cool::)

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Man it’s nice when it turns out to be a low cost simple fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk