• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

’76 302 Thrust Bearing Measurements

Bronco_46256

Loc.
Elkhart
I am in need of a few measurements off of a thrust bearing from a 302.

First, I need to know the overall with from outside surface to outside surface. These would be the surfaces that the crank would ride against when it is moving backwards and forwards.

Second, I need the thickness of each side of the bearing surface that the crank would ride against.

I need this to do some determination of exactly how bad my crank end play is. It’s a little above spec and I want to see how much total surface there is before I wipe out a bearing…….

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
SAY WHAT: Only kidding, all I can tell you is the crank end play should be .004-.008 but you probably have those specs.:(

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I threw out all my old 302 bearings.

Quick thrust bearing check when you don't have a dial indicator, use feeler gauges. Just push the crank in one direction and measure the gap on the other. You can do this with just a bearing and a crank but it may be a hair tighter after installing into the block depending on how much interference fit there is to the block (way less then .001").

OP
OP
Bronco_46256

Bronco_46256

Loc.
Elkhart
O beleive me, I know the spec and how mine should not clunk when I check run out.

It measured .052 with a dial indicator.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what, if anything, is left......

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ah, so you want to see how much of the problem is the bearing and how much is the crank. Makes sence now. Sorry, don't have enough parts laying around anymore.