• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 Grenada for engine and 9" donor?

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the opportunity to get a 77 grenada that has a 302/2bbl and what looks like a 9" in the back. Is this a possible donor for these. It looks like quite a large belt and bracket system and I have not put a tape to any of it yet. I just know the engine would be a good solid rebuildable and I could use a new 9" housing even if I had to cut it and add chucks bearing ends.

Any thoughts?

bjack

I'm not sure but I would say the rearend is more than likely an 8"

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might be a good donor but I also would lean towards the axle being a 8in cant really remember the size of the 77 grenada if its a big boat then you may be in luck although it could have the 9 3/8 in rear end also. The bracket system on some of them old cars was horrendous I'd change it out to the EB style much cleaner look. the tranny might be worth keeping also

OP
OP
airman

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok here's a sure dumb one.

How can I tell the difference between an 8" and a 9" rear end.

Ok, let me have it. :eek: ?:? :eek:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
airman said:
Ok here's a sure dumb one.

How can I tell the difference between an 8" and a 9" rear end.

Ok, let me have it. :eek: ?:? :eek:

the 8" is and inch smaller then the 9" ;D

I can't remember the exact details but I know you can tell by the fill plug.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D To tell the difference 8" you can use a deepwell on all the bolts and on a 9" you need a box on the bottom bolts. And on the 9&3/8" the top fin makes a 90 drg. bend down. They will work in a bronco but you need to notch for the ring gear to clear the lip. Good luck with your find. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

carnage351

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I now several of the Grenadas did come with 9" rears. A lot of early mustang guys seek them for parts. The front disk will bolt right onto an early mustang and the rear is a bolt in too.

If you get it, you may want to try to sell the rear to a Mustang guy rather than try to use it on an EB.

My 2 cents anyways.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
I got my 302 from a 77 Granade. The rear end wasn't a 9" or an 8". It didn't have a removable 3rd member, and it didn't have disc brakes. It's been too long, so I don't remember what it was.

I used the accessories for awhile in my Bronco II but later swapped over to other stuff so I could run a saginaw pump.

OP
OP
airman

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I only briely looked at it yesturday. It is my wifes grandmothers and I think I can have it just to haul it away. It hasn't ran in years. It has a 3 groove pulley not including the tiny little groove for the smog pump. I would never use the nasty bracket system on the driver side and likely not the alt bracket either. I have good brackets now. But I like the good core for a build one day.

My 9" has a leak at one of the welds that looks like its been repaired before. This car certainly has a drop out rear end but I didn't look close enough at the rear brakes. From what I have read today if it has rear discs it is a 9 but drums it is an 8".

My wife and I think it would be a cool way to preserve a little bit of Grandma and grandpa in the Bronco.

If it is a 9" can I just have the ends cut off and mount (someone else) some BC bearing cups and then build what I want? From what I read it would be 12 inches wider than the stock EB axle from flange to flange.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yeah it should be a 9in. I think ford stopped using the 8in in the mid 70's You can just get the ends cut off and new ends welded on I think its a little less than 12 in wider than a EB I think its only 2-3 in wider but still wide enough to convert just be careful as I think the left side may be just about the same lenght as a EB left side. You may only have to do the right side if the bearings are big bearing style which I would think that they would be. I would think that you would need to have the housing cut to match 76/77 lenght axle shafts to fit the disc brakes but you may want to check on that.

minimatt

77 Granada with V-8 was a 9 inch. Disk brakes were optional, so it could be drum brakes and still a 9 inch. Versailles was Lincoln's version of the Granada and all Lincolns had the rear disk setup. Mercury also had there version of this car (the name escapes me at the moment) and it is my understanding that they came with disk or drum like the Ford.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
So as it turns out, some of these cars came with a Ford 8.7", which is very similar to a 8.8".

The 1975-1980 model Granadas and Mercury Monarchs came equipped mostly with 8-inch rear ends. Some were also equipped with an 8.7-inch rear end --identifiable by a removeable rear cover (not desirable). Some models also had drum brake equipped 9-inch rear ends while a few had the optional 9-inch rear ends with factory-instastalled disk brakes.

http://www.bzerob.com/bobsgarage/tech/rearends.htm

This is the car that I pulled my 302 from with the 8.7"
granade.jpg

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Zephyr

minimatt said:
77 Granada with V-8 was a 9 inch. Disk brakes were optional, so it could be drum brakes and still a 9 inch. Versailles was Lincoln's version of the Granada and all Lincolns had the rear disk setup. Mercury also had there version of this car (the name escapes me at the moment) and it is my understanding that they came with disk or drum like the Ford.
That would be the much mailgned mercury Zephyr. ;D