• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

78/79 2ND generation

Hiker

Loc.
Tumwater, Wa.
I saw an add on Graig's List for a 79 claiming that 78 and 79 are the most sought after Broncos; being 2nd generation and loaded with the best truck parts Ford produced. I have to admit that I like the truck, but is there any truth to this add? I'm keeping my 70, but it might be kinda cool to have a worthwhile stablemate.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
I've noticed the price going up on them the past few years but you can still get them alot cheaper than 77 and older. I've had 5. 3 79s and 2 78s. The really are great trucks. Solid front axle, 351M or 400, C6 or 4speed, NP 205 or 203. My last one was a 79 with a 460, C6, and a 205. They are really tough and share alot of parts with the F trucks so parts are easy to find. And being that it was the only solid axle full size Bronco, Im betting that the prices will keep going up. I bought a one owner cherry 79 about 15 years ago for $3000. I'll probably pick up another one when(if ever) I finish my 73. They only made them for two years so I cant see them losing they're value as time goes on.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
They're undoubtedly the rarest vehicle bearing the "Bronco" name, but that alone doesn't make them sought-after. They have fullsize bodies & fiberglass half-convertible tops (like '80-96), solid front axles (like '66-77), and the option of factory bigblock engines. That combination is probably what the guy meant. They're also heavier, less comfortable, harder to work on, harder to find parts for, and have fewer creature-features.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
They're undoubtedly the rarest vehicle bearing the "Bronco" name, but that alone doesn't make them sought-after. They have fullsize bodies & fiberglass half-convertible tops (like '80-96), solid front axles (like '66-77), and the option of factory bigblock engines. That combination is probably what the guy meant. They're also heavier, less comfortable, harder to work on, harder to find parts for, and have fewer creature-features.

...less comfortable, harder to work on, harder to find parts for, and fewer creature-features?? Than what?

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never heard of a factory big block option on them either?:? I've never owned one but I always thought of them as a bigger version of our Early Bronco's

trailbound

Big block???? the 351m/400 are technically small blocks that take FE bellhousings. You see alot of them with 460's but i didn't know that was an option. I would love to have a nice clean one to use as my EB's tow rig. 460 C6 with AC would be awesome. Sought after, no no no. If you keep your eyes open you can usually pick one up for 500. Of course I only find them for that price when i'm not looking for one. Here in Cali they are kind of a rarity only because they are a pain to smog. 78/79 smog is a riduculous rats nest of vaccumm lines.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Keep the EB... Wouldn't mind having a nice 78/79 myself too though ;)

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Big block???? the 351m/400 are technically small blocks that take FE bellhousings. You see alot of them with 460's but i didn't know that was an option. I would love to have a nice clean one to use as my EB's tow rig. 460 C6 with AC would be awesome. Sought after, no no no. If you keep your eyes open you can usually pick one up for 500. Of course I only find them for that price when i'm not looking for one. Here in Cali they are kind of a rarity only because they are a pain to smog. 78/79 smog is a riduculous rats nest of vaccumm lines.

The 78's did not have smog crap. The GVW rating was higher than what was required that year. Although Cali is alot different with their smog than the rest of the country.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
The 78's did not have smog crap. The GVW rating was higher than what was required that year. Although Cali is alot different with their smog than the rest of the country.

Yes - bought a 78 last year and it's marked "no-cats". I paid $500 for a "was running when I parked it", lots of surface rust but not too much completely rusted areas (over the rear wheel sells are gone on almost all of them!), but 100% original Custom with a 351M/C6/NP203 combo. Turned out the engine has 0 compression on #6 and the floors were a lot more rusted than I had anticipated. But still not a bad deal. Prices are still 1/2 or less of what a comparable condition EB is going for. Planning on building an efi 408 from the 351M and setting it up for towing. I am hoping it will be a nice comfortable DD truck when done. It's has factory Bright Yellow paint but I think I'm going to go with Legend Lime. ;D

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Than what?
Sorry - I tend to compare everything to FSBs ('80-96). ;D
Big block???? the 351m/400 are technically small blocks that take FE bellhousings.
To me, that's technically the definition of the "big block" engine family. %) If it has more displacement, and a different bellhousing, then it's not part of the smallblock family.

OX1

Bronco Guru
78/79 broncos did not come with a big block (460) option. Will pay 100$ for proof of VIN that shows it factory installed (seriously!!!). That does not mean that certain dealers or certain people who worked for ford did not get one dropped in on the sly. It was/is a simple swap as the 351m/400 uses the same big block bellhousing as the 460 (not the FE pattern, BTW).

As for comfort, hands down the 78/79 rides better stock or lifted than an EB. The much longer wheelbase and higher weight all but assures it. I own a 79 with 2" lift and 35 AT's and a 70 with 3.5 lift (deaver/cage combo that "should" ride like a dream!!) and 33 AP's. The 70 is not even in the 79's league. I wish it was, because I think the EB is cooler to drive, but it's just not.

Ease of working on?? They are both real close in platforms, the fullsize parts are somewhat heavier, but are also better with factory 205 and either C6 or 435 trans (some had T-18 also). Axles are a hair better in 78/79, but comparable in strength to the size/weight of vehicle, IMO.

For a 500$ 78/79, you will get a rusted out POS, but it will still be much nicer than a 500$ EB.

Desirability, still goes no contest to the EB's, but it's easy to say the 78/79 broncos are the most desirable full size sport utes made in the last 30 years (collector wise). Look at the number of EB's you see in music vids or movies. Don't see any 78/79's.

Harder to find parts for? NO WAY!!!!!!!! Shares 80%+ of parts with either 73-79 (most body parts) and 80-83 (engine/rear/trans parts) with F150's, the best selling vehicle ever.

78/79's had more available creature comfort features std or optional than early broncos. Cruise, factory AM/FM/CB, in dash air (or high output heater with dash vents and larger heater core), push bar, fog lights, power rear window, captains chairs, foldable rear seat, tilt, lighted visors, map lights, map pockets, slider rear windows, locking hood release, fulltime 4WD with center diff lock, int wipers, lockable center console, sport steering wheel, quad fronts shocks, alum wheels, optional 32 gallon fuel tank, towing mirrors).

Don't think any of that was avail on EB's (not sure on pushbar or alum wheels).

Pflyboy

Loc.
Brighton, Colorado
I had a '78 Ranger on 33's and LOVED it. Give it a lift, slap some 35's on it, and the second gen is sweet. It did everything a Ford truck is supposed to do. The 4x4 never let me down. Of course, I never did any rock crawling with it. Let's put it this way-if I wasn't broke, I'd get another one (but I'd never get rid of the '74).

Also, a student driver decided to pull in front of me one day. The '78 bronco hit the Rodeo on the left side at 45 mph. OBLITERATED the Rodeo's side, frame, suspension, etc, but the Bronco was still standing there strong and proud. Nobody was hurt in either vehicle. Sweet truck. Built Ford tough.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Technically, Ford doesn't make the "big block/small block" distinction. That's Chebby talk. ;D

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
No, a 460 was never a factory option. Super easy swap though. But I've heard a few people argue that the 400 is technically a big block. I really dont know what makes the distinction. But overall I still think the 78-79 was a great truck. Short enough to make a great wheeler, big enough to tow with, and pretty stout drivetrain right from the factory.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
The 78-79 had all the good stuff from the EB but bigger. A fully optioned out 78-79 had cruise, ac, tracloc front and rear. c6 or np435, quad shocks front, hd cooling package, cb, am/fm cassette, hi-back bucket seats, power steering, tilt wheel, vanity mirrors, fog lights, 351m or 400 and more that I can't remember.
Yeah, they don't seem to have the same eye appeal as an eb, but are way more comfortable.
I've had my 78 since 1986 and am almost finished with a complete rebuild to bring it up to 2010 standards. 6way seats with heat, ac,cruise, navigation, roll bar, 4" lift, new engine, trans, gears, 4 wheel disc with h-boost, hydraulic clutch yada, yada yada. I'm building it to tow Phred with.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Interesting thread. Seems to be a lot of crossover with EB's and 78-79's. Lots of folks on here are also on FullSizeBronco.com and most that are on both have a 78-79. I originally bought a 69 and drove it as a DD for 7 years. I sold it and bought an 82 FSB. I then sold the 82 and was Bronco-less for a few years. It actually took me a while to really learn about and appreciate the 78-79's but now I much prefer them to the 80-96's. I agree, they actually have more in common with EB's than they do with the 80-96's.

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Sorry - I tend to compare everything to FSBs ('80-96). ;DTo me, that's technically the definition of the "big block" engine family. %) If it has more displacement, and a different bellhousing, then it's not part of the smallblock family.

Unlike Chebby, Ford really breaks engines into THREE classes; small block, medium block and big block. Technically, the 351M and 400 are in the small block family.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 21

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I had a conversation with Willie Stroppe about the full-size Broncos a couple of years ago at Fabulous Fords Forever.

Can't remember if he was talking about just the '78s, or both the '78s and '79s, but he said they ran into lots of problems with the front suspensions and differentials when people started trying to run them pretty hard off road. The Stroppe shop had to source a bunch of Chrysler parts for the front end to make them durable enough to run in places like Baja.

By either '79 or '80, Ford had made changes to the set-up so the problem was then solved at the factory.

Probably not an issue with most people who just like to restore them and do mild trail running, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit about the history of the transition from early to full-size Broncos.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
78 and 79 both had a high pinion Dana 44. Very strong and the same in the 1/2 ton trucks. As a matter of fact they used them in some F250s too with 8 lug outers. I wheeled the crap out of it with 36" swampers and a 460. Never had any serious breakage. In 80 they went to TTB. He was probably talking about the 80 and newer broncos. The high pinion 44 and suspension on these trucks is proven and pretty much unchanged. Same set up on every EB. Well minus the high pinion. Which most people say is stonger anyway. But still had radius arms, coils, and a track bar.