• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

78-79 dana 44 swap track bar options

micked

Hi! I’m getting ready to swap in a full-size dana 44 from a 78-79 bronco into my eb, do I use an adjustable track bar for an EB or an adjustable one from the big bronco 78-79…

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
What tie-rod set up? Might need an adjustable trak bar from a full width to get the geometry right. Other options might be moving or raising the lower mount on the housing.

OP
OP
micked

micked

What tie-rod set up? Might need an adjustable trak bar from a full width to get the geometry right. Other options might be moving or raising the lower mount on the housing.
going to be using the tie rod set up from duff with heims,
I have the trac bar from the 78-79 bronco, Just not sure the bend in the trac bar is the same from the eb 44 to the 78-79 44...

distended

Contributor
Perfect timing.

I just finished replacing the ball joints in the dana 44 I got out of a 78 that I'll be using and this has been on my mind.

OP
OP
micked

micked

yep was planning on the riser for sure. I will be running wild horses 4.5 " springs up front with cage/duffs extended... I agree on the adjustable trac bar just not sure if i need the 78-79 or eb adjustable track bar...

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
With the extra width of the axle, I think full size 78/79 adj trac bar.

Also search out a Kiser Riser, a member on here makes them and they are ROCK SOLID BEASTLY. Nothing wrong with the WH riser at all, in fact I am using it on a 76 getting a 79 D44 right now. Built in progress.

Also research if you really need a trac bar drop bracket (off the frame) WITH the riser bracket on the axle. Some threads say NO. I am looking for the POC info on the "Kiser Riser" maker for you.

OP
OP
micked

micked

Thanks!! Ill get the riser and the big bronco track bar! Thanks!

Roadburner

Sorry guys but I haven't made the risers for several years. They only fit the EB axles anyway. The full size axles had a different trac bar mount than the EB. I don't know of any risers for the full size so you may have to fab your own.

1969miller

Contributor
Loc.
Elk Grove
I believe it will need to be custom made. The track bar for the fullsize is too long and the EB one too short as the axle mount is further out from center of the axle. Now, could you make one of the off the shelf track bars work by redoing the bracket on the frame? Sure, but it will be shorter than your drag link and not as geometrically correct as it could be. Best to build it custom to match the length and angle of the drag link.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Broncoair makes track bars in custom lengths for swapping in a straight axle into a newer Bronco. I don't know if the shape would work for your application. Click the various check boxes & the dropdown for custom length & other options.