• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

79 Bronco disc conversion, common practice?

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a lead on a 79 Bronco front end. I can use these knuckles/ disk set-up and get correct ball joints for my original D-44 axle? what else is needed?
Thanks

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Bolts right on as long as you have a 44. I dont remember ball joints being different. You will need tie-rod adapters to match the holes in the later knuckles.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
That's a High Pinion Dana44. You can swap-in the whole front axle.

LargeFarva

That's a High Pinion Dana44. You can swap-in the whole front axle.

Meaning, just unbolt the stock axle and bolt in the HP D44? That easy? (springs/shocks/arm mounts all the same?) - Assuming that the gear ratio is the same, might have to adapt a trac bar/steering, etc.
Is the width correct?

This might be way cheaper than purchasing a new brake kit if I can find one in decent shape.

Spaggyroe

Meaning, just unbolt the stock axle and bolt in the HP D44? That easy? (springs/shocks/arm mounts all the same?) - Assuming that the gear ratio is the same, might have to adapt a trac bar/steering, etc.
Is the width correct?

This might be way cheaper than purchasing a new brake kit if I can find one in decent shape.

Nope, not that easy. 78-79 dana 44's are wider than the early bronco dana 44.

I run 76 F150 knuckles on mine (which would be the same as a 78-79 Bronco knuckle). As mentioned earlier, you'd have to address the steering with either the tie rod end bushings / sleeves, or changing up the tie rod entirely.

FWIW, I went to a tie rod over setup and used GM 1 ton tie rod ends on mine.

LargeFarva

Nope, not that easy. 78-79 dana 44's are wider than the early bronco dana 44.

I run 76 F150 knuckles on mine (which would be the same as a 78-79 Bronco knuckle). As mentioned earlier, you'd have to address the steering with either the tie rod end bushings / sleeves, or changing up the tie rod entirely.

FWIW, I went to a tie rod over setup and used GM 1 ton tie rod ends on mine.

Thank you. That is the answer I was expecting.