• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9 inch question?????

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
i have the big bearing 9 inch with explorer 8.8 disc brakes on it. with the backing plate bolted down tight the axle still moves a good 1/2 inch out and in. i checked all the bearings and everything looked good. idk if there is a spacer you have to run or what?? i just dont understand with everything bolted down tight the axle will still move but it wont come out. please help thank you

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Yep, lots of those set ups have to have a 1/4" or so ring for a spacer to take all of the slop out or you get that problem. Here is a pic of the one I run on a similar but not identical set up to yours. Mine is Ford Racing but similar. If you look close you will see one ring still inside the caliper bracket and the other one laying on the floor ;) They have to take up the slack between the bearing and the retainer basically

Attachments

• 7-19-14 5.jpg
    7-19-14 5.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 7-19-14 6.jpg
    7-19-14 6.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 101

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The spacer makes up gap between the retainer and the bearing and unless Currie or someone is making one now, it's always been something you had to make AFAIK.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just for future reference, although we don't generally stock them, we do occasionally have them available. I'm pretty sure we have a couple of sets in stock at this time if anyone needs them, but they don't go on the website because they're not a consistent stocking item.

Paul

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
Just wondering without running those spacers would it cause your rearend to have a loud howl/growl noise under acceleration only or does that sound like ring and pinion or detroit locker??

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Just wondering without running those spacers would it cause your rearend to have a loud howl/growl noise under acceleration only or does that sound like ring and pinion or detroit locker??

I would think not. It sounds more like the center section itself. Either way you need to fix the spacer issue first then go from there.

Has the gears been taken apart and put back together, new pinion seal or anything installed?

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
It was torn apart a while ago but the center section was good in my dads bronco but makes noise in mine and its not t case or transmission replaced them both

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I hate to say it, but "new" doesn't always guarantee quiet. Granted, you're probably right and they're probably fine. I'm just giving the old warning to never overlook even things you think can't possibly be at fault. ;D

Another thing that can make noise only under acceleration though is the driveshaft u-joints. Been known to get noisy even when low miles if they've been sitting too long.
And what about the t-case shifter position? Could it possibly be in 4-high at the moment? That should howl and whine all the time, and not just under acceleration, but you never know. Might be worth a quick verification.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
Thanks! Ya i know t case nv 3550 came out of dads bronco with no noises. And it made noise with my 3 speed and c4 so i think its down drive shaft or rearend.all i know is it is driving me crazy lol

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What's your rear pinion angle look like from the side? Got any pics?
Reason I ask is that especially with an NV3550 you can get driveline harmonic that rears it's ugly head more as noise than a felt vibration.

Doesn't sound like what you have, especially since it made the noise before your NV, but it's one more "angle" to look at.

Paul

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
I dont have any pics right now and there is almost no vibration its just a loud growl when your accelerating you let off the gas and it goes completely quiet

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I agree with either the angle changed or the third member has a bad bearing or something. Does it have a trac loc? Have you gotten heavy on the go pedal lately?