• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9 inch rearend question

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
My current 9" is a small bearing axle and I want to source a big bearing 9" and add disk brakes. The more I look to build one the more expensive it gets. So I was wondering is there a reason why I haven't seen anything on swapping rearend's out on the early bronco's? I see a lot of threads about rear disk brake conversions and plenty of venders sell them it just seems to me a lot of mismatched parts to make it work. Maybe it is the only way to do the conversion that's why im asking this question.

Would it be easier to find say a 1977-80 Lincoln versaliess that came with 9 inch rearend and disk breaks from the factory? I know it would need shortened to fit under bronco like the stock one does but what else is different? Bearing size, weaker axles, ect.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just my opinion, but the Lincoln Versailles disc brakes are not that great a brake setup in any regard, and costly to rebuild/replace/etc. Plus, I'm pretty sure most if not all Versailles had 28-spline axles just like the EB.

If you want to swap rear ends, I would suggest you take a look at the Explorer 8.8" rears with disc brakes and drum-in-hat parking brakes. These are 31-spline axles, have decent gear ratios and commonly have a limited slip diff, plus they're roughly the right width (59.625"?). Move the spring pads and shock mounts and install it...some good info over at the Ranger Station.

Otherwise, there are still reasonably cheap ways to do a big-bearing 9" if you were so inclined.

1. Swap housing ends on your current rear end and purchase new axles. The installation of the new housing ends should address any straightness issues with your current housing, but the issue here is usually the desire to upgrade to 31-spline at the same time since you're buying new axles, so add in the cost of a new differential (TruTrac, TracLoc, open, etc).

2. Find an F150 9" (65" WMS-WMS) and narrow it. These were all 31-spline and many had limited slips as well. All brakes were drum, but if you're narrowing it, you could convert over to the "Torino" style housing ends if you wanted to to readily accept any of those brake options, including the Explorer disc brakes noted above.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The Bronco housing is specific to the Bronco so to swap one out, you will need to cut the housing down. That's easier said than done. You typically need a jig or need to make one or have a good well though out plan with correct measurements. Get the housing just a little bit off and you will have issues.

It's just easier to find either a BB Bronco housing or buy an aftermarket housing.

Now that said.......

The bearing cup on my BB 9 was junk due to a bearing failure years ago. It got to the point where it was leaking because the cup the bearing sits in was oblonged.

I researched and decided to take a chance on replacing the bearing cups on the housing. We took lots of measurements and pictures and marked the housing up. We welded the housing to a car lift so it would not move and cut the ends off one at a time making sure the new cut was oriented correctly and all measurements were spot on. We left the center section in and used the axle and the old bearings to line things up. We just slid in the new cup, followed by the axle with the bearing on it and the tacked it all up.

Once things were right, we left the axles in and welded it up. This destroyed the old bearings but it kept thing in place.

Turned out great......

So you could change the bearing cups out.....

Tim

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Jason. Any reason you need to go with the big bearing in the first place?
Is it just that the brake kits you like are only available for large bearings? Or did it just snowball because you wanted more splines, ended up wanting bigger bearings, and then just kept going?

Reason I ask is that there is really nothing wrong with the small bearing setups other than coming with smaller brakes. So yes, for larger tire swaps a big brake is desirable. And yes, for heavier Broncos carrying big loads of camping gear and such, a big bearing is a desirable option. But many small bearing rear ends have lived happily for decades without any drama.

So I was curious.
But the bottom line for pricing would likely be to find a good empty housing for sale because someone upgraded to a heavier housing still. I'll have mine for sale at some point, but likely not soon enough to do you any good. Sorry.
So timing plays it's part too, as always.

We sell a brand new, upgraded and beefed up big-bearing housing for $439 right now. New fancy billet steel housing ends are $180 bucks, but standard ones could be had for less than half of that I think.
One thing I don't think I saw mentioned here about the Lincoln rear setup is that, aside from wanting to change the axles to get the 31 spline versions, you'd need to change them out anyway, to get the correct bolt pattern for a Bronco wheel.
Unless you wanted to re-drill the flange that is.

How do you intend to use your Bronco?
That might indicate which direction you ultimately go.

Paul

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, Mustang parts guys sell disc brake kits for small bearing Ford rears. I can't think of why that wouldn't work on a Bronco, Make sure it has the large truck bolt pattern for the wheels. Good luck

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
Hey Jason. Any reason you need to go with the big bearing in the first place?
Is it just that the brake kits you like are only available for large bearings? Or did it just snowball because you wanted more splines, ended up wanting bigger bearings, and then just kept going?

Reason I ask is that there is really nothing wrong with the small bearing setups other than coming with smaller brakes. So yes, for larger tire swaps a big brake is desirable. And yes, for heavier Broncos carrying big loads of camping gear and such, a big bearing is a desirable option. But many small bearing rear ends have lived happily for decades without any drama.

So I was curious.
But the bottom line for pricing would likely be to find a good empty housing for sale because someone upgraded to a heavier housing still. I'll have mine for sale at some point, but likely not soon enough to do you any good. Sorry.
So timing plays it's part too, as always.

We sell a brand new, upgraded and beefed up big-bearing housing for $439 right now. New fancy billet steel housing ends are $180 bucks, but standard ones could be had for less than half of that I think.
One thing I don't think I saw mentioned here about the Lincoln rear setup is that, aside from wanting to change the axles to get the 31 spline versions, you'd need to change them out anyway, to get the correct bolt pattern for a Bronco wheel.
Unless you wanted to re-drill the flange that is.

How do you intend to use your Bronco?
That might indicate which direction you ultimately go.

Paul

Paul,
it hasn't snow balled yet.... im doing so research before it does. I have read on here how the small bearing rearend's sometimes wear the bearings prematurely. I have 28 spline axles at this time so I would like to upgrade at to 31 spline.

I want to run 35" tires on it with 17" wheels so I really want the bigger brakes. due to the extra weight of tires/rims. As far as camping maybe once a year and some trail riding.

I have been on the lookout for a good empty housing around here but not a lot of EB guys here on the Ms, Gulf coast. shipping is my big problem here all venders are as far away as they can possibly be so I feel a little raped on shipping prices. that was another reason I was wandering if I could maybe use something different from the junk yard.

I have seen your guys upgraded housing and it looks really nice. I haven't called to check on what that would coast to ship. but by the time I buy that new axles, new third member and disk brakes I will have more in the rearend than I paid for my bronco. Note its nothing nice I just wanted to become a better welder and challenge myself so I bought one that had been on a hunting camp for the last 10 years. and it managed to hit every tree out there!

how I will use it??? that is always the question when I get myself into any build. this is my first bronco but have built a few muscle cars. I seem to build for over kill. most likely this thing when done will be a asphalt queen. The pause was for the people laughing at me. really just cruising around town and some light trail riding. my big problem is I tend to build for the what if.. Air lockers sure I need those, disk brakes on all corners yes because this thing will move like a corvette. ect ect. some times I just need a voice of reason to tell me do not do that because you will never need it.

Thanks for the ideas and which routes to consider.

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
Just my opinion, but the Lincoln Versailles disc brakes are not that great a brake setup in any regard, and costly to rebuild/replace/etc. Plus, I'm pretty sure most if not all Versailles had 28-spline axles just like the EB.

If you want to swap rear ends, I would suggest you take a look at the Explorer 8.8" rears with disc brakes and drum-in-hat parking brakes. These are 31-spline axles, have decent gear ratios and commonly have a limited slip diff, plus they're roughly the right width (59.625"?). Move the spring pads and shock mounts and install it...some good info over at the Ranger Station.

Otherwise, there are still reasonably cheap ways to do a big-bearing 9" if you were so inclined.

1. Swap housing ends on your current rear end and purchase new axles. The installation of the new housing ends should address any straightness issues with your current housing, but the issue here is usually the desire to upgrade to 31-spline at the same time since you're buying new axles, so add in the cost of a new differential (TruTrac, TracLoc, open, etc).

2. Find an F150 9" (65" WMS-WMS) and narrow it. These were all 31-spline and many had limited slips as well. All brakes were drum, but if you're narrowing it, you could convert over to the "Torino" style housing ends if you wanted to to readily accept any of those brake options, including the Explorer disc brakes noted above.

I just did a quick 9" with disk brakes google search and that was a example that came up. couple of forms with people putting them in resto mods. that's why I asked here you guys are very Knowledgeable. I didn't bother to think about what spline axle to use. 28 is not what im after.

I have a 98 explorer donor in my shop now but don't really want to take the 9" away from the bronco. so maybe its the F150 housing I should be looking for. I have a good power train shop close to me that I would have do the narrowing and brake brackets.
Thanks for the advice.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, one thing pops out at me. Not sure if it's still true, but in the past I could always count on truck shipping to LA and MS being roughly 30% to 50% less expensive than just about anywhere else outside of CA. Not sure why, unless it's the cost of fuel and the proximity of truck shipping depots in the areas I shipped to.
But no matter what, that says to me that you should at least give a call when you have a few minutes to compare the shipping between UPS and one of the trucking companies.

Since it's all UPS'able, there's an easy comparison. With axles, housing and any other parts you can reasonably decide to add to a pallet, you might be in for under $150 in shipping all told. Maybe quite a bit less, but that's getting hopes up a bit maybe.

I remember one quote where it cost $190 to ship some stuff to Los Angeles, and $88 to ship almost the same stuff to near New Orleans! Go figure.

Anyway, just talkin' out loud here. Maybe it's worth a shot just so you know what you have to deal with when figuring on modifying your existing housing or narrowing a truck housing locally.

Paul

Swerve

I bought my custom 9" rear axle housing from John's Industries...they ship via Fedex and shipping cost was low...

H20rider

Okay…since this thread is 6 years stale, I am going to hijack.
My ‘68 arums carbed (Holley 4 barrel) 302 has 4.11 rearend. It is uncut with 2” lift so my tire size is limited. I have 29” tires that I will replace to maybe 31”. I currently have a 4sd toploader, but I am about to change to a NV3550.
Right now I have head snap pick up. I don’t race, show off, acceleration, or tow. use my truck as an around town daily driver. My mpg is atrocious and I only go on the freeway when it is congested because 55mph is
My wondering is about the difference I would feel with a 3.5 or a 3.7 rearend. I know that the OD, and tire size will help with top end and mpg. I know this is all personal preference, but I’d still be 8nterested in cases of either satisfaction or disappointment . Or other advice. I still want enough quickness to get out of trouble.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have only one piece of advice at this point. No matter what tire size you choose, don’t even think about changing your gear ratios until you have driven with your new transmission.
First of all, it’s got overdrive. This is a big deal when choosing gear ratios for a differential.
But second, and almost as important, you have a lower first gear in the 3550 than you do in the 3.03.
So forget changing your differential gears, or even asking what you should use, and drive it for a little bit at least before deciding you need a change.

Of course, asking about it is here great because someone here may actually have that combination or a variation of it.
But I’ll stick to my guns in this case and say leave the differential alone until you put the new transmission in and tires on.

H20rider

Dirtdonk-
You were absolutely correct about waiting. After switching to the NV3550 I am happy with the 411 gears. I ‘m glad I listened to you and waited.
Thanks again.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great to hear!
First of all, glad you got it swapped in, and congratulations.
Second, great that it worked out. Saved you potentially thousands of dollars!
And you’re still enjoying things…
Sounds like bonus.

Thanks for coming back and topping it off.
Now you are that person that has the combination and can tell others reading this that it’s a decent combo.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now we just need to wait and hear what your fuel economy results are.
It’s going to be extremely interesting to hear if there’s any difference. In this case it’s not like changing from carburetor to fuel injection. It’s just changing from one gear ratio to another essentially.
Hopefully you’re seeing improvement, but don’t be shocked if it’s not much.
At higher speeds, you’re just pushing a lot of wind. At normal speed though, you might end up pretty happy with the improvement.