• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9" Pumpkin Color

66Coupe

What is the red/rust color that these are typically painted? Is there a certain brand I should look for at the store?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
??????? all ive seen was black ones, paint it whtever color ya want

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
??????? all ive seen was black ones, paint it whtever color ya want

Your eyes must have been closed.

This was painted when I got it but I was told it is factory color, not sure exactly what that color is.

Attachments

• DSC00860.jpg
    DSC00860.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 128

Broncitis

MEB Founder
It is red oxide. I do not have a specific code, but we have used the PPG DP epoxy primer that comes in red oxide before, or you can also find that color primer it in spray cans if you look around.

I'm not sure what years used it, but I think it may have just been the earlier years, with later years being unpainted. Not sure if the factory ever painted them black later or not, but that is obviously what most people paint them.

I usually use red oxide or cast iron finish colors.

Darren

Loc.
Edmonton, AB.
I painted mine with Glyptal. It's pretty tough, and I had a can (I am an electrician).

For those that don't know, Glyptal is an electrical insulation and it is seen inside large electrical motors.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Glyptal is also used by engine builders to seal the inside of the blocks. It speeds the oil return to the pan and keeps impurities from and particles sealed into the block. I believe IH used it in their motors. It sticks really well as long as you clean the iron first with acetone.

tdog

This color also comes in powder coat. Red oxide powder coat. I had my center section done along with the front radius arms, bell housing, and front dif cover.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Most likely they come that way primmer based from the aftermarket. Don't think the factory ever painted them that color. IMO paint them black, a shade of or gun metal gray or even silver. Just hate that Chevy based orange color under the truck;D

tcb-1

Loc.
Shawnee, KS
Just crawled under my bone stock 39k mile eb. The axle housing is black, matter of fact there are still a few factory wax pencil marks on it. As far as the third member, mine looks to have never been painted. I believe for a total factory correct resto, either a flat rust colored primer or natural will be correct.

I like the Glyptal idea though!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Won't red oxide primer eventually allow the underlying metal/cast iron to rust?
It always did on my eb. My dad told me it's because non sealing primers have no glycol to prevent water from passing through them.
So if you want that red oxide look seal the metal first.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Your eyes must have been closed.

This was painted when I got it but I was told it is factory color, not sure exactly what that color is.

I never seen a stocker painted......ever! Not sayin they might have but I aint ever seen one that wasnt just plain ole rust

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I never seen a stocker painted......ever! Not sayin they might have but I aint ever seen one that wasnt just plain ole rust

Hmmmm, the OP didn't mention stock, neither did you......lmao ;D

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Just crawled under my bone stock 39k mile eb. The axle housing is black, matter of fact there are still a few factory wax pencil marks on it. As far as the third member, mine looks to have never been painted. I believe for a total factory correct resto, either a flat rust colored primer or natural will be correct.

I like the Glyptal idea though!

Yours is a 75 from what I see in your signature. The earlier years came in red oxide from the factory. Not sure exactly what years it changed though.

The early years also had red oxide under the the body, later years was body color.

Our 77 was bare cast as I recall, and I repainted it in cast iron finish.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Won't red oxide primer eventually allow the underlying metal/cast iron to rust?
It always did on my eb. My dad told me it's because non sealing primers have no glycol to prevent water from passing through them.
So if you want that red oxide look seal the metal first.

Some primers, yes (spray can might)

Not the PPG DP series epoxy I mentioned.

You can probably even get the flat/satin red oxide in a top coat paint as well if you looked around. I am sure some hot rodders now use that as a top coat for rat rods and the like.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Over the years I'd seen a lot of them that color. Though never on later EB's, like was said.
I always "assumed" that it was used by Ford on special builds or otherwise haphazardly. Like HD cars, or limited-slips and such. Units like the Nodular iron "N" cases in the big engined Mustangs and the like.
Maybe Andrew and/or Todd know more, since they've been around factory race trucks and special edition Broncos and, in the case of Andrew at least, a lot of vintage Mustang stuff.

Not surprised to hear they were stock in EB's in the early years, but always wondered why some were painted and others not.

Regarding the rust and primer issue, I don't know that what was used from the factory was actually a "primer" so much as a top coat type paint. Not only were many of them without rust many years down the road (though some were definitely starting to rust), the finish looked to my eye to be smoother and more semi-gloss, than the usual "flat" primer.
Are all primers flat though? I'm not a paint expert by any means. I just feel like the color was more "satin" than flat.

Paul