• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9" Rear End Question.

Rdouglas7

I am having an issue pulling out the 3rd member out of 9" rear end differential. Have all 10 nuts off and the pinion gear out but can not separate 3rd member from the housing. Looks like there is some kind of brass washer on the nuts. Axles are pulled. Don't want to break something. What am I missing?

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
It takes some persuasion. I have used a hammer, chisel, and a screwdriver. I just work it a little at a time. It will bind easily on the studs.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Put a floor jack under 3rd member and lift slowly. Don't put too much weight on it but the added pressure might help. Otherwise I use a mallet and small screwdriver then work my way around

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Easy just drove the studs into the housing. Makes it easy to pull and the studs go back in easy too.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Put a floor jack under 3rd member and lift slowly. Don't put too much weight on it but the added pressure might help.

This X2. I have had real good luck with this trick pulling many a 3rd member out of derby cars over the years that seemed otherwise impossible.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Looks like there is some kind of brass washer on the nuts.

On the studs maybe? They're copper washers which crushed when the nuts were tightened. Take a screwdriver and cut/bend/destroy them and get them off. It will make things easier.....

Tim

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Easy just drove the studs into the housing. Makes it easy to pull and the studs go back in easy too.

X2...you won't regret it. This is the fastest way to do it hands down.

Lohman

Those brass washers were put on at the factory and were actually put on there to keep oil from seeping out around the studs. I have never replaced them and never had a leak. They can be a real pain to get off.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Summit has an adapter for the floor jack that bolts to the pinion support or front piece the pinion sits in. They're like $15. Then you don't have to wrestle it once it is loose. Helps on the install too

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
here's the quickest and easiest way i've found for a stubborn carrier:
using a 2" ratchet strap. i hook to the pinion u joint straps or around a metal rod (thick punch) laying between the 2 straps.
attach the strap to the trans cross member and give it a couple clicks. pulls it right out all while staying in the same angle.

be sure your drain pan is under the carrier as it will start pouring.

hth
N

Broncobowsher

Total hack
here's the quickest and easiest way i've found for a stubborn carrier:
using a 2" ratchet strap. i hook to the pinion u joint straps or around a metal rod (thick punch) laying between the 2 straps.
attach the strap to the trans cross member and give it a couple clicks. pulls it right out all while staying in the same angle.

be sure your drain pan is under the carrier as it will start pouring.

hth
N

I like that.

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I did what Tim did and broke the Cooper washers off. Without them off your 3rd member will never come out! You want to buy new ones any how. They are cheap

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I did what Tim did and broke the Cooper washers off. Without them off your 3rd member will never come out! You want to buy new ones any how. They are cheap

I didn't use them when I reinstalled. RV around the studs and very thin around the housing between the studs. Thread sealer on the studs. No leaks in 3 years.

Tim