• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'96 Motor/Tranny Swap To '77

Killer B Dunc

Hello, brand new here and need some help. Ok, I have a 1996 Bronco with a 302 and E4OD tranny. There's a '77 Bronco that I'm wanting to buy that has no motor or tranny. Everything on the '96 works and I can use anything from it as donor parts. What will I need to make this happen and is it feasible? Thanks.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the forum - you found the best group on the web here!

Are you going EFI or carb? Assuming you want to use EFI:
1) High pressure pump and lines to engine
2) ECM / wiring - get a Mustang ECM re-flashed by EFI Guy
3) See if he can get the ECM reworked to also control the transmission if not you can use an aftermarket solution like Bauman or Microsquirt
4) The transmission will not bolt to you Bronco D20 transfer case. You can get an adapter and re-work the transmission from Advance Adapters. You can also use an NP205 which bolts to the transmission wihtout an adpater.
5) You will need a new transmission crossmember (easy to make) and a t-case support. Plenty of picture on this site of how to do it.
6) You will need to shorten your driveshaft in the rear, longer in the front with an NP205 but not if you use the D20
7) If your truck does not have an A/T you will also need a transmission cooler

I'm sure I left some stuff out. I just did a the 4R70W conversion and I am woring on the driveshafts now. It was totally worth it.

OP
OP
K

Killer B Dunc

I appreciate the info, pcf_mark. Excuse me if I sound misinformed with anything but, for the ECM, could I use the one from the '96 Bronco that the motor came out of? Or is there something that would prevent using the original ECM on the '77 model. Again, sorry if I'm lacking knowledge, I've never done anything like this before, thanks. And yes, I would like to maintain the EFI.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The truck EFI intake is too high, you would need a 6 inch body lift and a hood scoop.
The E4OD is very long, not only will your driveshaft be extremely short but the angle will be very steep.
The '96 transfer case is too wide to fit between the '77 frame rails.

If the '96 Bronco runs sell it and buy a 1996-2001 5.0L Explorer or Mountaineer for a donor, then you will need a transfer case adapter but the rest will work.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
All I remember is that the '96 Bronco intake won't clear the hood. You would at least want to swap to a lower clearance upper intake.

Everyone here seems to like the Explorer swap. Maybe trade the Bronco for an Explorer donor?

OP
OP
K

Killer B Dunc

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I didn't think about the clearance issue, that sucks! Do they make a lower profile intake that would work with the stock throttle body? I could upgrade to a hood scoop but, I wouldn't want too much of a body lift. If not, couldn't I just abandon the whole idea of EFI and go carbeurated? Just trying to utilize what Ive got.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Truck intake too tall
Transmission too long
Transfer case too wide.
'96 the ECM should be an oddball OBD-II distributor style.

The OBD-II swaps are best done using a 5.0 from an Explorer, which also has a short enough (and better flowing) intake. The Explorer transmission is also much shorter and a much better fit into a Bronco. The Explorer transfer case has no low range and is computer controlled (not the powertrain computer either) so that is a little stumbling block but lots of easy work arounds. The Explorer also has the best accessory drive package for a Bronco. So that advise of selling the Bronco and getting an Explorer really is good advise.