• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

99 explorer engine

Real Big Stache

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Does anyone know the fuel requirement for the 99 explorer engine? Like GPH? Or PSI? I am trying to figure out the best fuel pump options. The existing fuel pump in my doner vehicle may be bad.

Thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
general rule of thumb for a naturally aspirated engine is ½ pound of fuel per hour per HP. Fuel weighs 6½ pounds per gallon.

Are you running a fuel pressure regulator or a returnless fuel system?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
45-50 lbs I'm guessing, unless you have the non return fuel system.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
So if you google a replacement fuel pump assembly for a 99 5.0 Explorer... (Return-less, but really it is regulated in the tank and returned there)

65 psi is the max psi

20 gph seems common, sometime it will list it in LPH (Litres)
Depending on the brand, you might find a pump that moves more fuel per hr...

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
The system runs at 65 psi, so I'd make sure it's rated a little higher (70min). The figures for 330 HP at the flywheel (perhaps a bit ambitious) along with a 20% safety margin have you at 28 GPH or 105 LPH.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The pumps we sell are in our in-tank EFI upgrade for the Sherman tank (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/ShermanTankEFIConversionkit/Bronco_EFI_Tanks) is a 255 lph and 90 psi pump based on the standard style for many Ford applications.
That's a pretty standard flow rating for the better aftermarket pumps I believe.

From the looks of it, the body of the pump is the same as is in your Explorer. I could be wrong, but someone posted a pic of the Explorer setup just the other day and, while the module is set up different with that internal return line, the pump itself looked very similar to the Mustang and others.

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Using an external return pump with an internal return injection system?

Or replace the fuel rails, the fuel pressure regulator, the injectors, the harness, the PCM..... with ones compatible with an external return?
All just to keep that fuel pump.