• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

a/c power steering?

dc2

Loc.
Pensacola
I have a 1977 EB with a 302, My dad and I are doing a frame off on it, and trying to replace everything with new or better parts.

We bought the hydroboost kit from Wild Horses and we got everything down to the new hard lines. I put it all on the motor today and I have run into a problem.

The PS pump will not adjust because it hits the AC compressor. This is the original style compressor with high and low pressure fittings on the drivers side. If anybody has run this combination before, what did you do to make the PS pump adjust. Do I need to go with a different ac compressor, or do I shim it up? I thought about sliding it over towards the passenger side, but I think it will be in the way of the HEI dist. we are going to install.

I anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it, and pics would not be too bad if you have them.

Thanks,
DC

"know of any abused fish? I run a house for battered fish!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Are you replacing the power steering pump with something different? I had one of those early add-on A/C units with the compressor on the driver's side. It is pretty close to the power steering pump and causes lots of problems. Is the A/C compressor usable and worth keeping? Vintage Air makes an adapter to change over to a rotary type.

OP
OP
dc2

dc2

Loc.
Pensacola
Yeah I am using the wild horses bracket and their high perf pump. Will I be better off sending back the WH stuff and using BC's stuff or can I use what I have and just swap to a newer compressor.
Thanks,

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Get a Chevy Saginaw from an Astro van or some pickups that has a smaller can and remote reservoir. May that will give you enough room.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
thanks, 72 I'll try that

If you have a Saginaw now you can just remove the existing reservoir and install one off of a Astro van or Chevy pickup. Your existing seals may work fine but I would buy a $10-$15 kit to replace the ones you have now. They offer two kits. One has a bushing which you won't need. The other has just the seals and is the cheap one. Go to a wrecking yard for the other parts. The remote reservoir has a fitting for a return line (hydroboost). Just cap it. You will want to use it later.