• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A Few Suspension Questions

NJBronk

Contributor
The previous owner stated that a new stock-height suspension was put on to replace a 3.5" lift. It has Tom's branded shocks, so I'm assuming it's their kit. The truck rides pretty harsh/stiff and has the occasional clunk in the rear, so I started poking around a bit...

My goal is to have something that rides nicely on the street and can handle very very minimal off road (we're talking gravel/dirt roads, nothing crazy). I like the stance how it is.

First, it looks like there is maybe a worn bushing on the shackle on the driver's side? Should there be so much space side-to-side between the shackle and frame? I'm guessing I at least need to replace the bushings? Should I upgrade the shackles or do anything else while I'm at it?

IMG_9384.jpg

I also think the leaf springs are installed backwards? Can someone confirm?

Front:

IMG_9393.jpg

Rear (looks like double wrap):

IMG_9390.jpg

Will fixing this cause the front tires to move forward in the wheel wells? They already seem a bit forward of center...

What the heck are these things on top of the retainer plate?

IMG_9385.jpg

IMG_9387.jpg

There are no bump stops in the rear:

IMG_9388.jpg

Do stock style bump stops (https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Rear_Bump_Stops_Pair_OEM_Style/bronco_rear_suspension_parts) just fit onto the brackets or is there some sort of fastener? And it looks like my exhaust might be in the way?? Is this common?

Lastly, there are spring spacers on only the front driver's side spring. I'm guessing there was "bronco lean" and they did this as a quick fix? So I need to try to fix it the right way? (https://dufftuff.com/what-is-bronco-lean/) Is there any other reason these would be on there?

IMG_9389.jpg

Ugh, so many things...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Looks like a victim of a rattle can rebuild. Lets see what I can make sense of...
Yes, that shackle bushing is toast. As are probably all the leaf spring bushings
The bracket on top of the leaf spring with the 3 holes in it is paired with the bolt on bracket at the front leaf spring mount. Old school traction bar. No longer functional since the link bars have been deleted.
One of the rough riding reasons, add-a-leaf. It is the better full length one but it still makes the spring pack stiffer. Notice the second leaf is very different than the others?
4 wedges crammed into a single coil spring, something is very wrong. Can't say what. If the other doesn't have any you will have wildly different spring rates side to side.

The shocks look new. Looks like a nice sway bar upgrade.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And yes, if that is a double wrap spring, then it is on backwards.
They probably mimicked the original springs, which had the Berlin eye forward to the solid frame hanger /mount. Whereas a double wrap spring needs that double wrap to the solid frame out instead, and the Berlin eye to the shackle.

But it’s hard to imagine people that hacked all that together would’ve bothered to install a new expensive spring pack.
Looks like they hacked a few things together and didn’t even get the eye correct.

While you’re at it, can you get a better picture of the upper part of the shackle with the spring?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
@Broncobowsher really summed it up quite nicely - I haven't seen such strategically applied spray paint in a long time :).

For those front springs, those spacers are bad, as Tim noted. The other thing is on Tom's coils that the top coil wraps are almost always touching, or close to touching, such that they don't really have any travel in the soft rate portion of the spring. A fraction of an inch of compression and you're riding in the stiff rate part of the spring - likely well over 300 lb./in. Add in those spacers, and those wraps can't flex, and you've got a real stiff front end.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
N

NJBronk

Contributor
First, it’s actually not PO rattle can - it’s my overspray from spraying black wool wax on various parts and inside nooks, crannies, and body panels. I intend to do the full underbody before winter.

I appreciate the responses but I’m not sure where to go from here. Sounds like the sway bar and shocks are ok but maybe I should just get new leaf springs, shackles, and bushings?

Should I just replace the front coils to be safe, since I don’t know what’s up with the spacers?

Anything else I should do?

Thanks!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'd take the spacers out of the coil (are they on the other side too?) and see what happens - does it sag a bunch, etc.? I'd probably replace them anyway - coils are pretty cheap. And I think I'd probably get new leafs and bushings too. Shackles probably are ok.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
N

NJBronk

Contributor
I'd take the spacers out of the coil (are they on the other side too?) and see what happens - does it sag a bunch, etc.? I'd probably replace them anyway - coils are pretty cheap. And I think I'd probably get new leafs and bushings too. Shackles probably are ok.

Todd Z.

They’re only on the driver’s side, which is what was most concerning…

I’ll probably do new coils assuming there will be other tweaks needed to get the front end right.

Looks like I have a bigger cold weather project…

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would do this, go to WH website, and order yourself the 1.5 inch leaf and coil spring with bushing kit. Or if you are really set on zero lift, order stock.

I hate undercoating/paint covering bad stuff.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
And yes, if that is a double wrap spring, then it is on backwards.
They probably mimicked the original springs, which had the Berlin eye forward to the solid frame hanger /mount. Whereas a double wrap spring needs that double wrap to the solid frame out instead, and the Berlin eye to the shackle.

But it’s hard to imagine people that hacked all that together would’ve bothered to install a new expensive spring pack.
Looks like they hacked a few things together and didn’t even get the eye correct.

While you’re at it, can you get a better picture of the upper part of the shackle with the spring?
I don't think those are aftermarket double wrap springs. Just a long add-a-leaf. I don't see a wrap, just an add-a-leaf all the way to the eye.

As for the wheels not centered in the wheel wells, do you have fender flares? Very common for them to be centered on the fuel filler caps and not the tires.