• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A lil help please

Krayzie

Loc.
Silver City
Hey guys i need a lil help..i have a 1969 bronco and i just purchased the entire set up of powersteering off of a 1974..well i need to change the steering shaft and cannot figure out how to get it off..it looks like it will just pop off after loosing the clamp up top but that didnt work..im stumped any help will be appreciated

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The manual shaft is one long piece. Look at what the vendors have for shafts.

Broncotj0

Loc.
Mankato, MN
Are you taking the column out or just the shaft? Either way there are two bolts that hold the column to the dash. The dash will have two access holes in the under side that you use to stick your socket through. So you need the clamp undone at the firewall, the two bolts under the dash, shifter linkage unhooked, and maybe the 2 rag joint bolts (depending on your setup) and it will pull right out.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If you cut the bell off the bottom of the shaft, the whole thing will slide out of the column into the cab of the Bronco. You can't use the manual steering box coupling on the power steering box, so you'll need to cut it off anyway.

Broncotj0

Loc.
Mankato, MN
One that I did I replaced the whole column. Its been a long time since I have delt with a manual column so I would have to see a picture to see what your talking about. But I would agree that you can make a cut at the bottom since it will have to be shortened anyways.

OP
OP
Krayzie

Krayzie

Loc.
Silver City
The guy who sold it to me told me to cut the shaft and join the one he gave me and the stock one with a u bolt..does that sound like a good idea..

Broncotj0

Loc.
Mankato, MN
No. Don't piece together a steering shaft with a u-bolt. I would cut everything down to the correct size and have the two pieces welded together. I don't know what you have for tools or abilities but I would even think about sleeving the shaft where you butt it together. If you don't have a welder take it to a fab shop and have them weld it up. It wouldn't be that expensive of a project and it is your life you are dealing with.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The guy who sold it to me told me to cut the shaft and join the one he gave me and the stock one with a u bolt..does that sound like a good idea..

You sure he didn't say u-joint?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
No. Don't piece together a steering shaft with a u-bolt. I would cut everything down to the correct size and have the two pieces welded together. I don't know what you have for tools or abilities but I would even think about sleeving the shaft where you butt it together. If you don't have a welder take it to a fab shop and have them weld it up. It wouldn't be that expensive of a project and it is your life you are dealing with.

He meant u-joint. You cut the manual shaft as needed and use the correct u-joints for the center of the shaft and for the box connection.

01JLH

Just an Idea-This is what I did- The shaft diameter that you have is 3/4 inch. I took an approximate measurement of the shaft sticking out of a power steering equipped bronco and cut my manual shaft off to that length with a sawzall and then had my helper turn the steering wheel while I cleaned up the end of the shaft where I made the cut. I then loosened the collar at the end of the steering column and pulled the shaft out of the column into the cab. Remember this shaft is 3/4 inch in diameter. I have the luxury of having a mill so I clamped the shaft into the mill and Clamped a level to the shaft so that I could accurately turn it 180 degrees after I made one flat cut on the first side. I purchased a 3/4 inch DD joint for the steering shaft just below the column and another one that matched up for the splines on the steering box and a DD on the other side. You take the short piece of steering shaft from where you cut it below the end of the column to the box and make the same cuts on each end of it to fit the dd sides of the joints in the proper length. Put the shaft back in the column and push it down against the spring pressure and re-tighten the collar that holds the lower bearing up and the shaft in place. attach the joint with the 2 dd sockets at the bottom of the column and then put the one with the splines and DD to your box take a measurement to make the smaller shaft to length. You will then loosen the collar again and pull the shaft up a little into the cab (inch or 2) and put the short shaft in place then have your helper push the shaft back down and tighten the collar again. Tighten all the joints and you have a clean installation. I like the pinch type joints instead of the type with all of the set screws but you do have to notch the side of the shaft for the pinch bolt to go across. This does have the same benefit as drilling and cross bolting each connection. This is a very clean installation but it does not provide a collapsible shaft like the later factory set ups. You do have to purchase 2 of the steering joints. I feel like the collapsible part would be provided by the joints being allowed to move sideways during a collision and the shaft not being one straight piece.

OP
OP
Krayzie

Krayzie

Loc.
Silver City
What im figuring out is theres no a coupler right behind the firewall instead of the shaft being in two pieces i think its all one long piece....

70HalfCab

Loc.
Mandeville, LA
Just did this same thing myself. i did not use the old lower shaft from the PS setup but regardless you just have to cut your current manual shaft below where it comes out of the column. Grind a double D (two flat spots on it) and install a U joint. The U joint will be 3/4 double D on one side and the other will need to be the proper configuration for your lower shaft.

Cutting and grinding the manual shaft is easy. I used a sawzall to cut it and my Dremel with a grinding wheel to grind the D. Did it all in place. In my case I am using a new lower telescoping shaft so no need to loosen the shaft from the column pull out etc.

Good info on what you need as far as joints on BCs page here about half way down.
http://www.bcbroncos.com/steeringcolumnsandshafts.html

OP
OP
Krayzie

Krayzie

Loc.
Silver City
4423101b-b370-537e.jpg

4423101b-b383-0b4a.jpg

4423101b-b396-63dc.jpg