• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A little advice needed on my motor dilemma

Mattco

Loc.
Dothan, AL
My buddy is a Ford mechanic and he was at my shop the other day. I asked what he would charge me to go through my 98 explorer motor that I bought for the swap into my rebuild and he said that it wouldn't be tough. He did suggest that rather than use the Ford efi and spend a few hundred rounding out the parts for it, for me to just buy one of efi kits out there now for about 1k and use it.

I lack the computer and a couple other things and the motor will need to be sorted through. I have the Sherman tank 23 gallon fuel tank with the in tank pump. I have read that the Ford efi is good once you get it running but it is a pain to get running. What would you guys do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
^^^
what he said. EFI Guy is great to work with and makes it plug and play.
I put Explorer EFI on my 351W and right out of the box it ran fantastic.
sourcing a computer shouldn't be too hard. They run less than $50 at my local pick and pull...

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
OEM is the way to go. Parts and information will be available for many years to come, and it's extremely reliable. Aftermarket parts and support can disappear at any time.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My SN95 EFI started on the first turn of the key. I did the harness myself (not hard just takes time) and EFI Guy did my ECM

Sourcing parts is not that hard. Local pick and pull is your friend. Prices vary. I got a complete 96 Explorer upper intake including MA sensor, T-body and intake hose for $35

FiTech is the cheapest way to go when it comes to aftermarket systems. Expect to pay $800-$900 for the 400HP kit.

Tim

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
It isn't a pain to get it working - there are actually very few wires to hook up.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Holley Sniper. It adjusts itself and YOU can program it to make custom adjustments. $899 from Autoplicity. Free Shipping. No tax.

https://autoplicity.com/9391511-holley-550-510-holley-sniper-efi-self-tuning-kit (FYI they show the black one, but it's the silver one - 510. The Black one is 511 and $949)

Ready to run in 2 hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvpVTD5Ahxw

Order today, have it running by this weekend. Yes, stock is cool, but do you want to be driving or collecting 20 year old parts and tinkering? I guess with the motor out of the car, it doesn't matter.

OP
OP
Mattco

Mattco

Loc.
Dothan, AL
Holley Sniper. It adjusts itself and YOU can program it to make custom adjustments. $899 from Autoplicity. Free Shipping. No tax.

https://autoplicity.com/9391511-holley-550-510-holley-sniper-efi-self-tuning-kit (FYI they show the black one, but it's the silver one - 510. The Black one is 511 and $949)

Ready to run in 2 hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvpVTD5Ahxw

Order today, have it running by this weekend. Yes, stock is cool, but do you want to be driving or collecting 20 year old parts and tinkering? I guess with the motor out of the car, it doesn't matter.

The car is completely broke down and the transmission is going off to be rebuilt in the next month so I am wanting to start going through the motor now to see what I need to do to get it going properly.

I am wanting what will be best in the long run. If it takes a little work to get the Ford efi going and it is better in the long run that is fine, I'm not on a time frame.

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
Are you going to run the Explorer 4R70W transmission? If so the aftermarket EFI's will NOT run it, making the Explorer EFI MUCH more cost effective.

Tonka7777

Loc.
Greenville
Good info here:

http://bcbroncos.com/fuel efi.html

There used to be a site called oldfordfuelinjection.com that has since been shutdown, but you might be able to find a link to a mirrored site. They had everything you need to know. PM me your email address and I can send you pdf's of their pages that I saved.

Attachments

• EFI Component Diagram.gif
    EFI Component Diagram.gif
    161.4 KB · Views: 27

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Someone on this board has the oldfordfuelinjection site zipped up and available for download. I can't remember whom.

I have the ZIP file someplace.....

Tim

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Ok so you both would stick with the Ford efi rather than the new kit.

I would as well, parts are everywhere for them if you need replacements. if your buddy is a ford mechanic it should even be easier for him.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
With the Ford efi, you can easily find parts at 8PM on a Saturday night at any parts store, try that with an aftermarket efi system. Try getting technical help as well. Do a quick search of all the problems getting the aftermarket stuff to run, keep in mind there are a relatively small quantity of them running compared to factory stuff.

As far as complicated, you collect your sensors, install them, lay out your harness and plug them in. You still need to connect the same number of wires to your Bronco harness and run a fuel system regardless of what you use. I installed my efi and turned the key, it fired right up like it should, it can sit for 6 months and it still fires up as it should.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My problem is with aftermarket stuff is every few years they change their systems and orphan their previous customers. There have been dozens of fuel injection retro fits through out the years and where are they now? The point is everyone moves off on newer, greater, better which is a good thing for the new customer but not so good for the old customer having problems.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'll add that while the new stuff is tunable with handheld which is modern, the unit it's self is old technology and has not been used on cars/trucks in years. It's old TB injection and most use the old GM sensors (well I'm told FiTech does)

That said, I'm considering FiTech on my 69 Mach 1 390FE car. If there was a way to adapt say a Ford 460 mass air EFI onto an FE and keep it all under a stock hood, I would go with the Ford stuff. I think it could be done but it takes custom parts. Just not cost effective to use Ford stuff on an FE.

Tim