• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A RE:Rebuild Thread (Half-Cab LUBR)...Body On 11-11-11

OP
OP
Broncology

Broncology

I would like to tackle the body working/welding myself, but I have little welding experience. I also would need to buy a welder ;D. I have always wanted to buy a welder and learn, maybe now is the time (on the fence). However, I may be a master welder before any shop near me agrees to take on the task :p. What would be a nice welder for body panels? I have looked at the Lincoln 180 and similar models.

Chuck

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I have a Miller 211, It'll weld anything I'll likely ever need to. My old shop had an old school Miller 135 that was used for all body work. It could be turned down enough to weld some pretty thin sheet metal. Also compare typical shop rates of $75-100 per hour and you can buy a welder pretty damned fast... Also a shop will charge you anywhere from $5-15K for a paint job. Mine start at $5K for a simple body work and a respray job! If I charged myself for the paint job on my Bronco it would have easily been $15K! Paint aint cheap...

n59rob

Loc.
Sweetwater, TN
welder

Chuck,
I just picked up a Hobart 187 at the Tractor Supply Store in Athens that they had clearanced at $499!! It was priced at $649 and the new 190 is $699. I have gotten my bed welded on as well as the door post and driver kick panel. I did cut and form that panel myself. Just about have the body all sand blasted and primed. Slowly but surely!! I suggest you do the body work yourself. You will be fine and be very proud of the final result. Let me know if you want to come down and practice on mine!!!!

Robert

OP
OP
Broncology

Broncology

Chuck,
I just picked up a Hobart 187 at the Tractor Supply Store in Athens that they had clearanced at $499!! It was priced at $649 and the new 190 is $699. I have gotten my bed welded on as well as the door post and driver kick panel. I did cut and form that panel myself. Just about have the body all sand blasted and primed. Slowly but surely!! I suggest you do the body work yourself. You will be fine and be very proud of the final result. Let me know if you want to come down and practice on mine!!!!

Robert

Robert

Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on the practice. I know of another shop that is capable of doing the body work just havent had time to see what his schedule is like. If its going to be another 6 months to a year before it can be finished, then I will likely try the body work myself. I wish soooo much time hadn't been wasted playing the waiting game with these other guys...I should be driving this money pit ;D!