• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is There a 351W Rebuild DVD? An engine build thread

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
The confusing part you will experience along the building process is there are a lot of things that will "work" but the issue lies if they will work well. .060 bore makes the walls very thin so heat soaking becomes a big issue as others have stated. This follows all of the Windsor engines until you get into the he aftermarket blocks etc. that you will find some that are reinforced and prepped for larger over bores for displacement gains which are pretty much race only.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
60 over is a non starter, sorry. You should be able to find hundreds of 5.8 long blocks for under a few hundred.

Example, this one is asking 550, but of course it was in a wreck, right? By the time you tell him you only want the block, not the EFI or anything else, taking it off his hands for a few hundred seems very reasonable. BTW I bought one exactly like that, I tried to sell all the EFI stuff for a year. Finally gave it away for free.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/d/1995-ford-f150-f250-fliter/6416591855.html

Now, unfortunately, you may buy something like this to find it is also cracked, over 60, etc...

OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I have two 302s laying dormant in Jak's Restoration shop. One is a 99 5.0 with GT40P heads that needs to get used. No hating if this turns into a SBF rebuild. After Christmas I will call the machine shop where the 351 bored .060 over is and tell him to halt work on it. I think all he has done is put it in the hot tank.

For some reason 302s are a dime a dozen on my local CL and 351s are not available. I see lots of performance parts for sale too and even have a few in my garage that I've gathered over the years. Buying a 351W core from a wrecking yard would probably be my best bet but with the two 302s I already have it makes sense to build them...

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Found my 351W on car-part.com. Looking forward to the torque, but I wouldn’t have stepped up from the 302 if I hadn’t found a crack I. The block while prepping it for the exploder serp setup.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How is your 351 going to be set up cldonely? Reason I ask is that a very stock, or even more an "old" stock one from the seventies is not automatically some massive improvement over a good running 302.
Yes, they do develop more torque at a lower rpm level, but it's not a huge amount enough to say "wow!" every time you hit the gas. Lots of people have commented on that over the years. So I figured I'd bring it up.

Now, add a few bolt-on aftermarket goodies or an even mild upgrade cam, and things really wake up. A 302 does as well of course, but you see more of that with the 351 once things are modified.

Paul

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
How is your 351 going to be set up cldonely? Reason I ask is that a very stock, or even more an "old" stock one from the seventies is not automatically some massive improvement over a good running 302.

Paul

My 351's feelings are hurt :cry:pluse he's very tired ...looking to rebuild him soon or replace with a modern unit;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haha! Tell Mr Windsor I'm so sorry for any feeling of being stepped on, and I hope he has a VERY exciting and "rebuilding" New Year!

Paul

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Haha! Tell Mr Windsor I'm so sorry for any feeling of being stepped on, and I hope he has a VERY exciting and "rebuilding" New Year!

Paul

Yeah he's due. Think it's a '74 or 5 model. Came out of a '75 Econoline but I wasn't sure it was original to the van.

Was put in my Bronco around 1980 so maybe time for a more modern setup.

OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Strike two for me guys, the 5.0 99 Explorer engine needs a rebuild after pulling the heads. The 1,2, and 5 cylinders are rusted. I suspected a problem when I tried to turn the engine over and it was stuck. I pulled the #5 spark plug and it had rust on it... then after pulling the heads discovered this.

38520532285_35563a75b6_b.jpg

39368409332_8cfcd0e965_b.jpg

38690574664_2bd58b82e0_b.jpg

39368420542_bbaf7991a4_b.jpg

What sucks is the other cylinders still have cross hatching. Back to the drawing board.

OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
3rd times gotta be charms ;)

Thanks, I think so too.

Bought a 351 roller cam engine today. Went to my local wrecking yard and purchased a 5.8L short block from a 95 E150. I'll post up pictures later but we're back in business. I'll machine these GT40P heads to fit it since I already own them and they flow decent.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Glad you found one.....

That 5.8L has the same cam as the Explorer so no need to upgrade the springs on the GT40P's unless you go with a bigger cam. That cam ran well in my rig. I got stupid and changed it and cause myself some trouble and pain....lol

Bronco Hut shorty headers work great with those heads. I'm running the stock van plug wires with no issues.

Tim

OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Glad you found one.....

That 5.8L has the same cam as the Explorer so no need to upgrade the springs on the GT40P's unless you go with a bigger cam. That cam ran well in my rig. I got stupid and changed it and cause myself some trouble and pain....lol

Bronco Hut shorty headers work great with those heads. I'm running the stock van plug wires with no issues.

Tim

Thanks Tim, good info!! I pass through Conway often on my way to Greenbrier. We should get together some time.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks Tim, good info!! I pass through Conway often on my way to Greenbrier. We should get together some time.

Come on by.....I'm 1 mile off hwy 65 at Beaverfork. Work from home so always home when not coaching, hunting, fishing or cruising around :cool: Dang, I'm never home...LOL

Tim

OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
This is how the wrecking yard sold it to me. They charged me for a short block and I told them three times I didn't need the heads. Spark plugs have been changed at some point, they are black but the gap was good. I don't see excessive silicone around the water pump or timing cover so I don't think this engine has ever been opened up or rebuilt. I will look this week. Coming from an E van I have a feeling it hasn't. Notice the CHINA and DORMAN stamp on the freeze plug in picture #2. Have the freeze plugs been changed during its life?

39484843671_47cf2d1f12_b.jpg

39454586842_59055bd529_b.jpg

OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Maybe someone had a block heater in it and removed it?

Nah, doesn't really get cold enough here for that. All six are replaced. One probably rotted out so they replaced them all? Coolant passages look a little gross like perhaps they neglected the antifreeze. Water pump has been replaced now that I look closer and see silicone coming out in some areas.

I pulled the heads. Cylinder walls look good, cross hatch is there. Valley and rods look like the engine has some miles.

OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Do roller lifters have to be replaced when replacing the cam like with a flat tappet? Lunati is the only company I see that makes a roller cam kit that isn't retro fit.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Do roller lifters have to be replaced when replacing the cam like with a flat tappet? Lunati is the only company I see that makes a roller cam kit that isn't retro fit.

No, you can reuse roller lifters, even with a new cam or a different used roller cam.
They don't wear like a flat tappet lifter.