• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A very bad thing happened...

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
I am absolutely devastated. What a tragic series of events. Yesterday I picked up the Bronco from my seller and trailer'ed it home without incident. Once I unstrapped with ramps in position I tried to start it up to back her off and everything hit the fan.

1st it was difficult to start almost like the carb lost prime and dry. It turned over a few times trying to fire as if its not enough fuel and then flooded after several attempts. I let it sit for a while and came back to try again.

2nd attempt the engine fired off and ran extremely rough and a horrible sounds as if timing has been retarded and not all pistons firing. More sounds of like its going to throw a rod or metal in something moving. Ran enough to back it off the trailer.

I popped the hood and started to trouble shoot checking fluids, distributor cap, plugs etc and I notice the wingnut laying loose on top of the air-filter cap. Noticed the 1/4 all-thread stud is missing and now I suspect that stud backed itself loose during the trip and fell into the combustion chamber. I suspect it bounced around on valves working down on one of the pistons and either grenaded or damaged piston and bent the rod, scored cylinder.

Bronco ran great prior to the trip and loading. I am beside myself.....

So now I got to figure out to get it in my shop to start pulling of the top end down to inspect for damage, pull the pan etc.

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wowza, certainly a very bad introduction, very bad indeed. Hang in there, hopefuly there will be a silver lining.

Last edited:

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Man that's awful. Silver lining is a Blue Print 306 Bronco spec replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JSBX

Contributor
I had something similar happen to me years ago. I would try pulling the spark plugs and see if one is damaged. If so you will at least know what side it is on. You can get an inexpensive bore scope camera and may be able to see how much damage you have and again at least know what side it is on. The damage may not be as bad as you think at least mine wasn't. Sorry you are going through this and good luck.

Last edited:

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The only solution here is a complete removal and replacement with a new coyote engine and trans combo. Sorry, but those are the rules.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I am hoping for the best for you. that stud had a long way to go to get the piston.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just pull the valve covers. Very likely the problem can be isolated by inspecting the rocker arms.

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just pull the valve covers. Very likely the problem can be isolated by inspecting the rocker arms.

Yup, there is my actual suggestion... all though an complete engine replacement would be totally cool if he could swing it.;D

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I only suggest the Bluprint 306 cause I did it and I've been really happy with the motor.
If in the worst case you broke a piston and have to rebuild I encourage you to look into this option.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
You checked all plugs and wires? If something solid fell it, the spark plug ends would likely have marks on it. Plus you can peer into the cylinder head with a phone through the plug hole.

Perhaps you had a sticky valve and the pushrod fell off, leading it to make a lot of noise
while it bangs around. As mentioned, remove the valve cover.

The threaded rod generally has a lock nut securing it to the carburetor. Perhaps the nut fell into the intake? The threaded rod is what, 3"?

I don't know what kind of carburetor you have, but having the rod fall through the choke, throttle valve, emulsion tubes, etc... is something you would have noticed when initially attempting to start? For instance the gas pedal would get hung up.

Or, best case, you just have an unplugged spark plug wire...

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use this all the time to inspect engines through the carb or spark plugs before I start tear downs that might not be necessary. While it doesn't sound promising, the 1/4" could have come off with the wing nut and fallen outside the engine. (Maybe the distributor got out of timing ;)

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wat...ild=1&keywords=Depstech&qid=1633382779&sr=8-4

These were all shot through the spark plug hole.

Attachments

• piston 1.jpg
    piston 1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 163
  • piston 2.jpg
    piston 2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Piston 3.jpg
    Piston 3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 148

bsquared

Contributor
When I did my 96 Explorer EFI build some Jackass (with the help of Jack Daniels) let a nut slip down into the lower intake and didn't catch it. It fired up and actually ran for days while I tried to figure out what the Hell was "just not right". Compression test gave it away completely.
Sorry you're dealing with it and hoping it is less that what you think. Man, that all-thread would have to do some gymnastics to get past the carb and valves, but I guess it could happen. Do a compression test and you'll know which cylinder has the issue.
Best of luck and holler if you need tools....I'm in Pearland. Cheers, Bill

Attachments

• 1.4Cyl1PistonClose.jpg
    1.4Cyl1PistonClose.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 1.5Cyl1Head.JPG
    1.5Cyl1Head.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 4EngineBay.jpg
    4EngineBay.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_7128.JPG
    IMG_7128.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 146
OP
OP
TX-ZACH

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
Yes I will pull the valve covers and plugs tomorrow. Right now its pure speculation but something is loose inside. All wires and dist cap is tight and right. Ill know more tomorrow.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So simply, do you have spark to all cylinders? A wire not connecting right can make the motor seem like a mechanical issue. Reading your first post over, verify all the plug wires are connected and you get spark out of the plug at each cylinder. Thats connected at both dizzy cap and plug.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
great time to pull the engine... perfect excuse should it need to be.