• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Abolish Post Counts?

should we ask jon to dump the post counts?

• no, keep post counts.

Votes: 69 45.7%
  • yes, dump post counts.

Votes: 82 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
i think the whole number of posts thing is a joke. all it really shows about you is how much spare time you have.

so lets see how everone else feels- and please include your comments about why you think one way or another. i would hate to think that any of the arguments going on here had to do with who posts more than who.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Absolutely, unequivocally, without a doubt, YES! get rid of the post count and member labels based on it. Another board I'm on did that exact same thing a year or so ago, and it was the best thing they could have ever done.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Me, I don't care either way. I never look at my status. I am happy to help when I can, and since I get emails to aid others, I feel that sets my status, but if it will help keep peace on this site, then I say get rid of it.

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
As a Newbie, I actually like the post counts. It gives me an idea of who's been here for a while and who's passing through. Eventually, I'll know who's who, but for now it's a good clue to start with.

I also use it while I'm reading advice. If someone says it's ok to try something questionable, and he only has a few posts. It can be a warning that he might not be here for any follow up questions.

And I realize that using my own logic, this post should be suspect...

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I think post counts are a potentially valid indicator of someone's knowledge level. There will always be post whores and people who chime in on topics that they have only limited knowledge of...I have been guilty of this at times-I am sure. I just hate to see people needing advice and not getting it...which does happen, so I try to let them know its here-somewhere or wet their appetite with my limited expertise. Back to the post counts--If I am being given advice and I see that there are three people giving me advice on my Bronco and two of them have considerably longer post-stats than the third, depending on the advice, I may weight the advice of those with more "experience" in the subject more than the newbie. It could be a faulty assumption, but probably not likely. I think if people are really interested in cutting back on the whoring, then we should just stop talking about it (kind of like the Bush administration's take on premarital sex- just act like it doesnt/shouldnt happen)...it doesnt mean it will go away or stop, but I think some of those responsible typically do it for the attention. Stop playing into their hands and giving them the attention they are crying out for and maybe it/they will stop. Now, if you guys ignore me; I will cry. :'( :'( :'( ;) %)

Flame suit on...fire away :cool:

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
I say keep it. It shows who has been here the longest and by that shows experience. The longer you hang out here the more youre bound to learn. Every site is going to have people that rubs someone the wrong way. Post count has nothing to do with that. I think for the most part we are all adults and we are here for the love of the EB and fellowship. I dont care who has the most posts, But it gives you an idea that most that has a high count has been here a while and probably knows what they are talking about when it comes to getting some advise.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
trailpsycho said:
I think post counts are a potentially valid indicator of someone's knowledge level.
The post count is simply an indication of how many times someone has posted here, nothing less and nothing more. Personally I'm very leery of using that as any indication whatsoever of someone's technical knowledge.

Flash69 said:
It shows who has been here the longest and by that shows experience.
So does the member's join date. The post counter only shows how many times they've chosen to post, which has absolutely nothing to do with their technical competence or knowledge.

On any board like this, the vast majority of members are not very active, by choice, in posting. However, many of the "lurkers" have a lot of experience and knowledge to offer, and to equate their chosen lack of lots of posts with lack of experience/knowledge is the problem with the post count.

No matter the question, you can usually tell pretty quickly who is posting just to post and who is truly knowledgable in that subject. I personally ignore the post counter here as I don't believe it says anything at all about that person's knowledge. I could get busy and post enough in the next month or so to become a "Bronco Guru" but you know what? I don't care and you shouldn't either, because for the most part you don't know me, and my post count tells you nothing about my Bronco knowledge.

Okay, that's enough from me. Whatever Jon decides to do is fine with me. As I've said before tho, when the post counter and labels associated with it were removed from another 4x4 board I'm on, the improvement was instantaneous and quite noticeable.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I truly dont care. We can even start over again and count just the "on-topic" posts. Whatever Jon wants to do it is his site. We are ALL guests here. :)

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
GJBroncoMan said:
The post count is simply an indication of how many times someone has posted here, nothing less and nothing more. Personally I'm very leery of using that as any indication whatsoever of someone's technical knowledge.

So does the member's join date. The post counter only shows how many times they've chosen to post, which has absolutely nothing to do with their technical competence or knowledge.

On any board like this, the vast majority of members are not very active, by choice, in posting. However, many of the "lurkers" have a lot of experience and knowledge to offer, and to equate their chosen lack of lots of posts with lack of experience/knowledge is the problem with the post count.

No matter the question, you can usually tell pretty quickly who is posting just to post and who is truly knowledgable in that subject. I personally ignore the post counter here as I don't believe it says anything at all about that person's knowledge. I could get busy and post enough in the next month or so to become a "Bronco Guru" but you know what? I don't care and you shouldn't either, because for the most part you don't know me, and my post count tells you nothing about my Bronco knowledge.

Okay, that's enough from me. Whatever Jon decides to do is fine with me. As I've said before tho, when the post counter and labels associated with it were removed from another 4x4 board I'm on, the improvement was instantaneous and quite noticeable.
You have a good point there GJBroncoMan I didnt even think about the join date. That will show how long you have been here and will tell more than post count. I stand corrected. Like i said in another thread. I didnt know about this site when i was building my EB. If i had known i would have done some things different. I have learned a lot of things since i came here. Theres a lot of Products and tricks that i have seen here that would have been real helpful. Id hate to see something happen to this site because of people getting mad over post counts or personal comments. I think this is the best web site on the internet, and we absolutely own the best vehicles.

Last edited:

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I didn't vote because I don't see the choice I'd vote for. How about keeping track up to 1000 posts and from there on just put 1000+. That would let you know if you are reading a post by a "experienced" poster or a newbe, yet eliminate the need to post a comment on a thread just repeating what is already said eariler in that thread. It seems that a great deal of "fluff" gets added to threads with the only appearant reason is to increase someones post count.

I read and visit here almost every day since I regestered, but by my post count you can see I fall in the lurker catagory. I usually only post when I have something of value to add. (except for that one time!)

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
why change it? heck, it only indicates
POSTS, not if it tech. or just yacking,
leave it alone. First pc.... now counts, what next?
sensitivity training? damn

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
It does not really matter to me. I take the responses here and verify to make sure they are correct anyway before I use their information. Unless I know that the person posting knows what they are talking about.

OP
OP
J

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
Bronchole said:
I didn't vote because I don't see the choice I'd vote for.

i kept it simple so the result would be unambiguous. the first poll i ever did here, i tried to have a little humor, and was accused of trying to snow every one. i think any suggestions are good, though.

Jamers

Loc.
Van,BC,Canada
With the recent events taking place, it seems like it may be a good idea. This site is for fun to gather information about our hobbies, so it should be a positive place. And it always has been from my perspective, it's a shame it turned negative due to post counts?

What do we gain from having post counts?? So we know how long a person has been here roughly...how active they are? Is it worth it if it's going to divide the site?

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
Some of the elder statesmen, astark, madgyver, jeepster, howiebilt, grizzly, henrys69, 76BFH, 77broncowagon, waverous, flintknapper, chuck, 72bronco, blue71, 2broncos2go, wildbill, just to name a few, those folks deserve recognition for time invested to assist ten-left-thumbed ignorant knucklebusters like me in our attempts to fix/understand our EB's. The post counts for those people illustrate their positive involvement in our community here. All of them are still Broncogods in my book.

I gotta tell ya, I would have thrown up my hands and sold my eb if it were not for the encouragement and assistance I received in the first year I belonged to this forum. I would have sold the rusted pile of junk and been the poorer for it, no matter what I got for it. Those folks taught me how to enjoy spending time in the driveway, and in some cases on the trail, and in life. I appreciate every single post.

So it is my opinion that the post count for those folks, and those like them, should be shown, out of respect for their investment of time and knowledge to the community.

One more thing: (and I edited this rather than just posting again) In my opinion, this should have been posted in Off Topic.

dpm

Last edited:

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Guys,

This whole thing has already blown way past the kindergarten stage and is threatening to suck vital IQ points away from every poster at our beloved site. This is the nicest forum community I've ever stumbled across on the internet by far, so there is no need to go and make pointless changes over a little spat between one of our favorite members and our most post happy member.
Lets forget all of this BS and go back to being the same EB loving, corteous, respectful and helpful members we've always been. If so, this little problem will die a quick death instead of the slow death we are allowing to occur. Who is with me?????

Jamers

Loc.
Van,BC,Canada
Amen, I like it. Life is too short...thats why I said it might be a good idea. But if we can just forget it and ;D , then that works!

72bronco

Bronco Guru
Jon already addressed this issue when he eliminated post counts for off-topic forums. That seems to be a reasonable solution. Of course that doesn't necessarily stop people from post whoring in the Bronco Talk forum, but I don't see why that is such a big deal anyway. If somebody is that excited about broncos then I say let him talk. What makes this site great is the participation of members, so I’m not going to get on anybody’s case for over-participating. Besides, anybody who has been around here for a while know who the knowledgeable people are anyway.

Regardless, I agree with Raleigh that this is still by far the best early bronco site on the Internet and there are dozens of guys who have been very helpful to me over the years. The only thing that I can hope is to be able to reciprocate by helping out others now and then. So let's drop this discussion and get on with it.

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
raleigh_bronco said:
Guys,

This whole thing has already blown way past the kindergarten stage and is threatening to suck vital IQ points away from every poster at our beloved site. This is the nicest forum community I've ever stumbled across on the internet by far, so there is no need to go and make pointless changes over a little spat between one of our favorite members and our most post happy member.
Lets forget all of this BS and go back to being the same EB loving, corteous, respectful and helpful members we've always been. If so, this little problem will die a quick death instead of the slow death we are allowing to occur. Who is with me?????

I completely agree!!! ?:?

Status
Not open for further replies.