• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Acoustical and heat shielding

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ja, how did you use the lizard skin product? Did you use them in tandom? thanks, Mark

Premium Concept

The Dynamat is a good product, and I know it says it is designed for Heat shield, but it is super expensive and there are tons of products out there that do exactly the same thing for less money. Make sure the black part of the product (the sticky side) is made of Butyl rather than asphalt. Big difference in quality and longevity. Dynamat is Excellent at sound deadening though.

The lizard skin is what I would recommend. Used it on the bottom of a 65 mustang instead of Dynamat and it worked great for both heat and noise.

ja.stoner63

Loc.
Chandler, Arizona
"Ja, how did you use the lizard skin product? Did you use them in tandom? thanks, Mark"

Mark, you spray one on then the other...the website will give you the details... works very good and cleans up with water, easy to breath when installing. You can use on underside as well as inside for double the effect.
For the inside the Dynamat will get rid of the tin sound as well.

Ja

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks, I called and talked to the LizardSkin tech, Paul (713)504-1157. Very helpful. Sounds like the product is not too thick when finished and can be painted over. I think it is the way to go.
Mark

4G5

Loc.
Newport News,VA
When I restored my last EB I had a friend that used to be a helicopter mechanic for the ARMY. He got me some Blackhawk helicopter cockpit insulation. It is seriously the best Da#% stuff I have used. Extremely hard to cut. It is embedded with 3 layers of Kevlar and once in you don't feel any heat (from the headers) and noise is cut significantly. If you can get your hands on any I would highly recommend using it.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I restored my last EB I had a friend that used to be a helicopter mechanic for the ARMY. He got me some Blackhawk helicopter cockpit insulation. It is seriously the best Da#% stuff I have used. Extremely hard to cut. It is embedded with 3 layers of Kevlar and once in you don't feel any heat (from the headers) and noise is cut significantly. If you can get your hands on any I would highly recommend using it.

3 layers of Kevlar :eek: . It might be bulletproof too!

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
If you're looking to do it inexpensively, you can always get a roll of that generic heat/sound insulation they sell at places like Pep Boys and cut it yourself. I seem to remember that a roll (4' by about 6' IIRC) is somewhere around $20.

Essentially it's a felt-like insulation with a thick piece of foil on one side. Fairly thick compared to Dynamat (about 1/2" or so), but obviously a lot less expensive.

4G5

Loc.
Newport News,VA
3 layers of Kevlar :eek: . It might be bulletproof too!

I think it is a possibility seeing as how they use it in Blackhawks but it feels really thin. I guess if I ever explode the clutch and bell housing and nothing comes flying through the floor in the cab we'll know for sure. Hahaha.

mflint1513

The "insulation" from the Blackhawk is more commonly called "sound proofing". It's VERY expensive and hard to come by even in the army (I fly CH47s). It may have Kevlar in it but it most certainly is NOT bulletproof. However, as a heat and sound absorbing material, it's pretty much awesome. If I could get my hands on some...

66broncofan

Contributor
quietcar

I used the quiet car and loved it. I used it inside the doors, under the hood, inside firewall and the inside of the roof. It is very easy to use. Sound barier is great not sure abou the heat shield. I used it under the beadliner that I sprayed on the firewall and kick panels as well. It is very tough stuff.