• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

After Carb rebuild engine won't fire

Vincen

I just rebuilt my 570 street avenger, reinstalled at and the engine won't fire. Here are a couple things I've checked out:

1. Carb getting fuel when opening throttle
2. Noticed fouling on a couple plugs. Cleaned and re installed
3. Pulled distributor cap. Cleaned corosion and re installed. Rotor off position
4. Turned crank manually to get rotor aligned with #1 spark plub
5. 12 v from coil to distributor

Stumped.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Pull plug wire and check for spark at the plug.

What ignition system are you running?

Fuel coming out of the carb into the intake should be enough to get an engine running so long as you have spark.

OP
OP
Vincen

Vincen

Been running a pertronix flamethrower 2 coil and fistributor for 4 years or s

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, X2 on the check for spark. You didn't remove the distributor, just the cap right? And the rotor is back in place. Usually it takes some cranking to get fuel from the pump to fill the bowl, but it sounds like you flooded it. Sometimes you can prop the choke open with a screwdriver and hold the throttle open to clear it, but I might wait until tomorrow and start from square one, by pressing the gas pedal once to set the choke and give it a crank. Good luck

OP
OP
Vincen

Vincen

Thanks for the feedback. Today was day 2 of the frustration. I will check for spark tomorrow. The truck was suddenly running too rich, idling terribly and leaking gas before the carb rebuild. I had to fix stripped fuel bowl threads which kicked off the rebuild.

OP
OP
Vincen

Vincen

I charged the battery this morning and checked spark a short time ago. Had some spark at both #1 & #2 but appeared a little weak. Could a weak spark lead to this?

Two
more findings:

Electric choke not coming on with the ignition on.
Positive terminal on my coil is only reading 10.8 while cranking.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I'll leave your ignition electrical issues to the experts ; but when you say the choke isn't coming on with ignition on do you mean it's not opening or not closing? " Choke on " means the choke "plate " is closed as in laying flat . Choke open/off means the choke "plate " is open and in a vertical position.
The choke only opens with the key on - voltage to a bimetal piece inside the choke housing heats up and expands - opening the choke.
If adjusted correctly the choke should close with just one tap to the floor of the gas pedal even without the key in the ignition.
Reading this I don't know if i explained that well but i'm sure someone else will chime in.
Also - do you have the correct rotor for your distributor { I found there are two that will fit the shaft but with different size "shoulders "} does it fit tight ? Do you have the " big distributor cap " or the small one ? - they take different rotors.
What motor do you have ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vincen

Vincen

I have an original 302 with 275 k miles. I have the original rotor and cap that came on the pertronix 4 years ago. The choke worked fine before the carb rebuild and is now not opening with the key in the "on" position. I had been running this carb and distributor combo for just over 4 years. I am beginning to think I missed something when rebuilding the carb. Just trying to rule out each failure mode.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I misinterpeted your distr . With the typo I thought you had a Ford Distrb.
I'm not real familiar with the Pertronix distr. Other than I don't think they need "resisted wiring " to operate.
The 570 SA sounds a little big for a stock 302 - theyre a little big for my 351s. But if it's been working 4 yrs for you then must be ok.
Where does the power source for the choke come from ? Have you checked to see if it has voltage? A closed choke after an engine is warmed up will certainly run rich

OP
OP
Vincen

Vincen

Finally wet out and crossed all my T's. I had a blown fuse to the ignition circuit that fixed the choke. Checked my plug wire routing again. Decided to re position #1 and now it starts. Thanks for everyone's help.

I do think the 570 SA is too much carb. Since I drive mostly on the street with 4 wheel in the winter, I was just looking at the QF slayer 450 cfm. Seems like a better match. Thanks again.