• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

After market frame

Sadman

Can an aftermarket frame be registered?
Or for off-road use only?

I’m confused on how this works?

It seems to be a big no no to graft your vin onto another frame. But you can graft it onto an aftermarket frame?

I get because the frame your grafting onto it could have been stolen. But still doesn’t explain how the new frame process works.

Need information on some large decisions thanks all.

OP
OP
S

Sadman

Ya I figured.

But they are there to sell you something as well. Not saying they shouldn’t. Just don’t want to get left holding the bag.

I searched on this here. I didn’t even want to ask. It seems to be a touchy one.

If anyone wants to pm their experience that would be nice other wise we can let this thread die.

Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or better yet, contact your local DMV or an independent registration consultant (yep, that’s a thing and they’re pretty popular these days) to get the details about your particular state or county.
It does vary by state, but it sounds like it’s more easily doable in some than others.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If anyone wants to pm their experience that would be nice other wise we can let this thread die.
No need to let it die just yet.
In spite of the negative search results so far, there are several very in-depth, deeply detailed discussions about how it’s done in some areas.
Lots of questions unanswered still, but lots of clarifications as well.
I think it was member James Roney here that quoted from the federal book of rules at one point in one of the discussions as well.
Maybe somebody’s got a link. The last one wasn’t that long ago.
Just a couple of months if I remember correctly.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might need a few more posts to get “permission “ to pm.
Maybe James can initiate the conversation and then you can respond. Might work.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Idk if I’m just slow, or I’m restricted because I’m new. But I can’t figure out how to pm you. I’ll keep working on it.
Probably need to be a contributor, aka donate 12 dollars I think is the cost now

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That should just still be for pictures. Private message/conversations I thought were included in basic membership.

chuddy

Minnesota is where I am. I should have put that in the opening.
I'm in Minnesota and had an interesting situation where a Bronco I was redoing had an incorrect digit in the title I got from the PO in Colorado. I called the Colorado DMV and I would have had to literally drive the Bronco out there so they could inspect it and provide a new title. Obviously that's not realistic, so I called my local DMV and they said they can issue a bonded title once they inspect the VIN on the Bronco. I loaded the unfinished Bronco on my trailer and brought it down (note it did NOT have the glovebox warranty tag or doorpost sticker on yet). I figured the frame is the most important and I made sure it was visible. When I got down there, they brought out a big book that instructs them where the "Public VIN" is located on vehicles. This is the VIN location they go off of when they do these kinds of verifications. Guess where the public VIN is on a 1974 Bronco? The doorpost sticker.....NOT the frame. I told them I hadn't ordered a new sticker yet, and that the frame VIN is perfectly legible. They said from their perspective, the frame VIN meant nothing, and that I shouldn't be allowed to purchase "new doorpost stickers", even though Marti sells them all day every day. I pressed them a bit more and they called down to the main inspection station in St Cloud, and I was told the same thing. I left empty handed and pretty irritated.

chuddy

You can't expect the DMV to help you. That is not their function. They are a revenue agency.
You cannot expect a VIN verifier to inspect an incomplete vehicle. Also not their purview. VIN verification involves many details that include things other than the VIN, I know that sounds silly. But there is not such thing as a VIN verification. In CA, it is a "VERIFICATION OF VEHICLE" and is uses form REG-31. There are not less than 40 trivial inputs into the form, encompassing 8 major categories. ALL of them are "required" in order for the DMV to perform its taxation.

So no, you can't get a frame verified. For sure not in CA. I have tried and failed.

Every state is different, my only purpose in sharing my story with the OP is because he is also from MInnesota. Hopefully this info helps him in some way. To the other people reading this who are not from Minnesota, I would encourage you to ignore my post since it has no application anywhere else.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That should just still be for pictures. Private message/conversations I thought were included in basic membership.
I had a friend that joined last week and he's not able to PM either so it must be something that comes along after a certain # of posts or something.

Todd

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would only do one of those new frames, if I kept the original frame, I wouldn't graft till that was stated as legal.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Every state is different, my only purpose in sharing my story with the OP is because he is also from MInnesota. Hopefully this info helps him in some way. To the other people reading this who are not from Minnesota, I would encourage you to ignore my post since it has no application anywhere else.
Your post is applicable in CA as well. And lots of other places too. I think it's a valuable experience that is worth reading and sharing. Thanks for posting.

...and I should have been more detailed in my response. I didn't mean that they can't do the verification of a frame. I just meant that they are not compelled to, and can choose to not.