• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

air conditioning

jacksonbase

I have a mint 77 bronco that needs air. Has anyone installed an aftermarket a/c system on a bronco? I'm looking at the one tom's bronco sells as well as vintage air . I'm down south so it will see a lot of humidity. Also I got a quote froma local a/c shop of $1500 for a custom install. Sounds high but has a warranty etc... Any positve thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Jacksonbase

mark74ranger

Loc.
Albuquerque N.M.
When I bought my Bronco, the original owner had removed the dealer installed air, but still had the underdash unit. I changed over to a 5.0L with the newer compressor and had a local AC shop do a semi custom install with a new condenser, dryer and hoses. They changed it over to R134. It ran me $500. You can find the AC units on ebay occasionally. I think the early Mustang units fit as well.

The Vintage air unit is nice, but the install does not appear to be easy.

7? BRONCO

Loc.
Wake Forest, NC
I bought the Vintage Air unit and the install was a pain; however, that's because I decided to do some custom work and put the vents in my dash as opposed to under the dash b/c I think the plastic is hokie and would break easily. My dash looks fantastic and I think it will be worth it in the long run (if/when I complete the restoration and get to enjoy it).

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
I have owned two Bronco specific A/C units. One by Vintage Air and one by Arizona Air (ackits.com). Price 1000.00 and 650.00. Both work well but the Vintage air is definately the better setup. It completely replaces your old heater box with a combo A/C-heat unit. They have made some recent upgrades on the actuator solenoids and main unit. In the middle of the Texas summer, neither will keep the uninsulated Bronco cold; just cool.
Edge

brian72

Early Bronco Student
chuck was/is working with one of the a/c man. (is it vintage??) for a NEW redesigned setup??

Can't remember exactly?

U

Unregistered

he is working with vintage air, it was supposed to be ready this month last time i checked on it. right now the only a/c my bronco sees is when i leave the doors open and some cold air leaks into the shop.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The R&D is done for the new Vintage Air A/C-heater for the EB. Vintage has all of the modified parts and is working on making them into a kit. We had to make a lot of changes to make everything work so they will be making a new A/C-heater box. Our (mostly Jason) goal was to make the unit as close to bolt-in as possible and to work with V or S belt. It will work with V and S belts. We had to modify the core support a little and cut 1 hole in the firewall for the 4 hoses. The vents can be bolted under the dash or holes cut in the dash for the in-dash vents. The plumbing will be come made to fit. When Vintage gets done with their part it should be a easy install.

Last edited:

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Chuck,

before I knew you were doing this, I purchased the Vintage setup.

It is all still in the boxes in the garage. You think they might do an even swap for the new unit? If it is a better fit, I would even be willing to pay a small amount for the upgrade!

MnkyBiz!

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The new unit makes your kit obsolete so it may be a good test to see if they would. Or I can check for you. Wait a few days until the new kit is done and they know how much the new kit will be and how many changes they have to make. We tried to use as many stock parts as we could to keep the cost down.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Thanks!

I may take you up on the offer of seeing if they would work with me.

I am in no way near ready to install, I am guessing May timeframe, so they will have time!!

thanks Chuck for always supplying us with the best!!!!

MnkyBiz!

schaan

Loc.
topeka
mustang and eb

i believe the early mustang and eb's had the same units.
at least my 67 stang looked like my 74 eb's, under dash unit

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Speaking of this summer heat, has anyone done any crazy tub and hardtop insulation to make heating and cooling better?

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I have. Go to www.bcbroncos.com/teststore then interoir, about 1.2 way down the page you will see a picture of some insulation that is easy to work with works great. It is also a great sound barrier. It is also light and durable, we used it in the racer last year for sound and heat. Did not bother to cover it even on the floor. Jason knows all about it so if you want to know more I can check with him. I also used it on my hard top for insulation and that worked fine but the added bonus was it stopped the BOOM that you get with a hard top on occasion

OP
OP
J

jacksonbase

insulation

Hi

I used the heavy duty dynamat(with silver backing) on the inside of the cab. THen I put a thin layer of foam insulation on the factory cardboard headliner. It is much quieter and seems to reflect heat pretty good.

Jacksonbase

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have been toying with the idea for a couple of years now to take the top off, turn it over, fill it up with AB foam (need to find a cheap, light and flexible version). That should do wonders for heat, noise and tin canning of the roof.

Just another in my long list of projects I want to do.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thanks chuck, nice looking new site too. I bet by the time I need the vintage air you'll have it ready. I like the insulation idea too, thanks again.

On your vintage air set up it looks like your new one has the controls where you dont have to cut the dash. Is that true? Also do we have to crimp the fittings on the refigerant lines?

Thanks and I'll be getting that stuff from you in the next year.

vap13

Chuck, I'm in the same position as MnkyBiz. I recently purchased a unit from Vintage Air but really haven't done the install except checking the compressor alignment with my v-belts. What a pain, are the brackets going to be the same with your unit?
Paul

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
On your vintage air set up it looks like your new one has the controls where you dont have to cut the dash. Is that true? Also do we have to crimp the fittings on the refigerant lines?

The controls can be mounted in the dash or under it.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
vap13 said:
Chuck, I'm in the same position as MnkyBiz. I recently purchased a unit from Vintage Air but really haven't done the install except checking the compressor alignment with my v-belts. What a pain, are the brackets going to be the same with your unit?
Paul
We made new brackets for the V-belt compressor.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Broncobowsher said:
I have been toying with the idea for a couple of years now to take the top off, turn it over, fill it up with AB foam (need to find a cheap, light and flexible version). That should do wonders for heat, noise and tin canning of the roof.

Just another in my long list of projects I want to do.

I have thought about that too but can't come up with something that would flex very well without crumbling. Let me know hen you do I want to come and watch/help out.

It would be nice to find a big enough peice of sealed foam (wrestling mat/life jacket) about 1/2" thick the shape of the top and then maybe for the sides as well. New product ideas Chuck? The only other idea I had for that was plain old styro board and seal it with latex paint and then a head liner.