• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Air filter clearance problems - looking for deep drop base

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
All, im looking for a deep drop base for my edelbrock with manual choke. I need something that has at least a 2" drop, for some reason Im having difficulty clearing anything. Have like a 1", maybe 1.5" of clearance between the top of the carb and the hood :mad: . Does anyone know where to find one or better yet a part number. Ive tried ramcharger, but cant find one. And on google, it gave me way too much to wade through. Thanks guys

Last edited:

70TEXEB

Loc.
Abilene, TX
I don't know what engine your runnin...but I used a Edelbrock #1207 its 14" by 3" good hood clearance and just enough room for adjustments on the carb.

OP
OP
YelloTx73

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
Its a stock 302. I have an aftermarket intake, but 'm not sure exactly which one it is, none of the PO's paperwork mentions it. Whats the best way to find out what kind it is, besides lookin for a name, cause I cant find any markings. Another problem is that the main bolt thats holds the filter hits the hood, and is bent a little at the top. I guess I can cover up my carb and cut it down. How hard is it to replace this?

71U140

Loc.
Abilene, Texas
Have you considered a body lift? I put a 2" body lift on mine, and now the hood clears my 351/Performer/Q-jet with room to spare.

MATT76

I'm running a drop base cleaner off of an 80-82 econoline van. Before I replaced my body mounts I had the clearance issues you describe and this cleaner did the trick for little $ from the boneyard.

Attachments

• P5210014.JPG
    P5210014.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 48

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
I got a 14 X 1.5 inch drop base from summit. It came with a 3 inch air cleaner that did rub a little when I put the 1/2 inch carb spacer on, so I went and bought a 2 1/4 inch K&N for it.
The stud that holds the air cleaner on should just twist out. Might have to get some vice grips on it if it's really stuck in there.

vap13

Edelbrock use to make a nice dropdown air cleaner that positioned a filter on each side of the carb. Nice looking setup but I hav'nt seen them in a while. Not cheap either.
Paul

OP
OP
YelloTx73

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
Thanks for all the help guys.

Hotwheels, thanks for the offer, but I would like to try and find something right now, as I need it driveable.

Vap, I know the edlebrock cleaner that you are talking about. It looks great and Ive heard great things about it, but Im not dropping that much on my cleaner right now.

I cant find anything local over 1 5/8" drop. I need at least 2" I cant figure out why my carb sits up this high, when you look at it from the side, you can easily tell that it sticks up as high as the hood. The PO had on one of those POS edlebrock no-flow filters. The top part of that thing is bent in from the hood pressing down on it. It wasn't getting any flow from the hood sitting on it. I got the stud out of the carb after a few tries. Would a hotrod shop have something that drops more the k&n 1 5/8" I found some finally on the net, but no one even close by. Guess it back to callin around :p