• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Low rise manifold and air filter for 2 bbl Sniper

1975 DSE

Recently installed a 2bbl 2300 Sniper on a stock 302. Now I have the engine out and it's getting converted to a 347 stroker. I am keeping the 2 bbl EFI. My question is, who makes a low rise manifold, dual plane, that will fit my 2bbl Sniper? Question 2, can I fit an aftermarket air filter with this setup? No body lift. No EGR.

I read all of the posts and most are 4bbl topics or for Broncos with a body lift.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Actually, the more common four barrel manifolds don’t even need a body lift. Choices from Edelbrock, Weiand and others are low enough to fit a carburetor without a lift.
A 1 inch lift just gives you that much more room to work with and a little safety factor/fudge factor.
I just don’t think anybody makes or very few companies make a higher performance aluminum two barrel manifold. Perhaps some offering from a more modern Ford engine maybe?
A 95 or prior? Heck, even factory manifolds were often four barrel.
The most common alternative I think is to use the aluminum 4-barrel manifold, to save weight, and then use a 2-bbl adapter.
I don’t know that that’s the most efficient method, but it gets you your lighter weight aluminum manifold, and the potential for a four barrel upgrade in the future.

All that said, maybe somebody knows of a two barrel manifold on the market. I would think it would come from the race categories, but that might make it too high for hood clearance.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't know of any performance 2-barrel intakes. They are all about the same. Keeping the 2-barrel Sniper and running an adaptor to a 4-barrel intake will make clearance worse.

How is the 347 going to be built? What parts are going into it? I'm asking because just making it a 347 doesn't automatically turn it into a performance piece. You may end up with a poor mix match of parts that may not be as good as a regular 302 at the end of the day. Trying to keep the 2-barrel is an alarm bell in my head this may be happening.

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
Know it's not the answer you're looking for but think you're going to be choking off that 347 with the 2-barrel setup. Would be easy to swap on a 4-barrel unit; harness/ sensors should all be the same just plug them in, reprogram the handheld and you'd be set.

That would also minimize your manifold height not having to run a spacer, etc.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That's why I was asking about the setup.
If there is a set of good heads, a nice cam, this is going to be a horrible running engine. The 2-barrel isn't known for high airflow. If you can't flow the air, the displacement will make the engine reach it's choke point much sooner. At which point a basic 302 is likely to out perform the 347. Doing the bench racing, the 347 should have a little advantage at low RPM where the airflow isn't enough of a demand. But a performance cam and heads could take that advantage away. At that point just do a 351.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
That's why I was asking about the setup.
If there is a set of good heads, a nice cam, this is going to be a horrible running engine. The 2-barrel isn't known for high airflow. If you can't flow the air, the displacement will make the engine reach it's choke point much sooner. At which point a basic 302 is likely to out perform the 347. Doing the bench racing, the 347 should have a little advantage at low RPM where the airflow isn't enough of a demand. But a performance cam and heads could take that advantage away. At that point just do a 351.
I disagree about some aspects of the statement regarding 2-bbl manifold/EFI. I think it will run great and provide low-end torque (or at least not reduce it). For max-performance at R's, 4-bbl is the way to go.

Here is the plenum I used: Spectre Performance 751 Passenger Side Low Profile Single Plenum Kit with 45°/90° Tube - Amazon

-JB