• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Air impact wrench recommendations

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
IR 231 is a workhorse in the auto industry. racing pit guns are based on it.

73bronco

I have the IR titanium 1/2", 3/8" and 3/8" air ratchet. I recommend them to everyone and everyone who has listened to me could not be happier.....those that did not wish they had!

Larry B

Loc.
Medford
I have been happy with IR and Mac. I used them for years on service trucks. I have not been happy with anything from Harbor Freight. They may be all right laying on the shelf but if you use them there are worth evin less than the cheap price they cost.

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
Ive got a used MAC for sale if you are interested. Works great, but for some reason I thought I needed an IR. The MAC was just as powerful.

kffain

Contributor
Loc.
Chatham
Impact Wrench

I have been a mechanic for the last 33 years, and have used lots of Impact wrench... Get a top end wrench from CP or IR, and add a drop are two of oil to it every day or so. And it will be hitting hard for a long long time.

I will say the IR, Thunder gun that is listed as Item # 4 on the Amazon page you put up is a fine Impact!

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I have used a Mac for twenty years or more, had one at work and one for home. Love the noise, kinda lime a Flowmaster. Never ever a problem.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have narrowed my impact choices down to
IR 2130-550ft/lbs torque $129
IR 231-450ft/lbs torque $114
IR Titanium-750ft/lbs $257

I am very much Tim "the tool man" Taylor when it comes to wanting the best, strongest made tools or cars. I have to stop myself sometimes cause I buy industrial/commercial quality tools and I am just a hobbyist. Leaning towards the 231 due to price and they have been in production for 25 years! Thats a good sign.

bronco-billy-66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madison Mississippi
X's 10 on the IR
Ive got an IR 2131A, A friend of mine was over the other day helping me, we have about the same compressor, He kept commenting on how fast and the "balls" my impact had. He has a cheapo home depot impact.Mine is 600ft-lbs in rev. 450ft-lbs fwd..

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I have a IR 231 and it works great for what I need to do on the bronco. Kinda funny, this thread got me thinking about oiling all the air tools in the shop, and I discovered that a mud dobber had made a nest in the end of one of the 3/8 ratchets. Little bastards are everywhere! %)

Ben

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
The ir231 is a great impact and snap-on and mac buy from ingersoll rand and just put their name on. I worked for a big tool warehouse that supplied tools allover the country and found out a lot of what mac and snap-on sell is bought from other manufacturers and re-branded to sell with their name on it. That being said I steal get my tools from this warehouse at cost plus ten percent so if anyone needs tools let me know and I will get you a price.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I got my AirCat NitroCat at the same time that 2 other techs I worked with got IR Titaniums, and they had to borrow mine a few times. One guy was hammering on a Honda crank bolt for almost 10 minutes off-&-on with the IR; the NitroCat broke it loose in less than 10 sec. It's almost as strong as a decent 3/4", but it's lighter & QUIETER than any 1/2" I've found in any shop I've worked in. I've been using it for ~3 years now with no change in performance. When I got it, it was ~1/2 the cost of the Titanium thru my Snap-On dealer, but the only link I could find right now is this, which includes 2 impacts for $360 shipped.
I could do without the flames, but that's the gun I have. 1100 ft-lb @ 85dB

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I appreciate good quality tools as much as anyone. Sometimes you have to consider how mcuh you are going to use it and what other priorities you have. I bought a HF 1/2" for $39 about 4 years ago. I think I got 20% off that. Its only about 450 ft lbs but gets the job done. I use it more than I thought I would and beat the crap out of it. Still works fine.

I do get crap for buying made in China from HF but: http://investor.shareholder.com/ir/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=158897 My HF gun instructions list Superay as the manufacturer. I'm not trying to let the air out of anyones sails and the HF sold stuff is definitly inferior but sometimes the prices don't reflect what you are getting or not getting. Look at the prices an Northern, Eastwood, and HF. In many cases identical crap but you will pay twice as much at one vs the other.

Last edited:

ITOWU2

Loc.
close to Billings
I got my AirCat NitroCat at the same time that 2 other techs I worked with got IR Titaniums, and they had to borrow mine a few times. One guy was hammering on a Honda crank bolt for almost 10 minutes off-&-on with the IR; the NitroCat broke it loose in less than 10 sec. It's almost as strong as a decent 3/4", but it's lighter & QUIETER than any 1/2" I've found in any shop I've worked in. I've been using it for ~3 years now with no change in performance. When I got it, it was ~1/2 the cost of the Titanium thru my Snap-On dealer, but the only link I could find right now is this, which includes 2 impacts for $360 shipped.

heres a link for ya Thats the one I've got and love it.
http://www.amazon.com/Aircat-1000M-2-Inch-Impact-Housing/dp/B000PUBYSC/ref=dp_cp_ob_hi_title_3
Wes

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

I haven't any first hand experience , but I did a LOT of research online awhile back on this and the Aircat Nitrocat , as mentioned above , was loved by everyone who used it.
There were a lot of stories similiar to Steve83's.

To be fair , the IR 2135 was very highly regarded also. (iirc model # correctly)
Considering what I had to resort to to bust the bolts loose on my D44 C-caps , next time I'm getting one of these before hand.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
my craftsman will not even loosen lug nuts and it is only 1 year old.

Do you oil it before and after uses?
By adding a few drops of oil into the inlet port of you tool it will gain more torque.

Any of the brand name tools will fail if not properly cared for. Oiling is key.

I have an IR 1/2" Impact that is 15 years old and still going strong today.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you oil it before and after uses?
By adding a few drops of oil into the inlet port of you tool it will gain more torque.

Any of the brand name tools will fail if not properly cared for. Oiling is key.

I have an IR 1/2" Impact that is 15 years old and still going strong today.

I oil before every use. I looked on line and I think the Craftsman 1/2" I have only cost $30 new. They probably get it from Harbor Freight and put their name on it. Craftsman has went to shitty quality IMO over the past 10 years anyways.