• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Alice" turn signal upgrade, but they won't flash

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Today I install new JBG's 66-68 turn signal housings in my 76. But they do not flash when selecting a left or right turn. The wiring is pretty straight forward, I thought. Just plug into the existing wiring plug that the old stock housings unplug from and turn them on. The only difference noticed is the lack of a body ground wire from the 66-68 housings. Thinking this is the problem. I hooked up a ground wire from the 66-68 housing to the body, but this didn't help.

Here is how they are working, and yes I did remember to turn the ignition switch on when testing.

They turn on in park light mode and full headlight mode, however they do not flash left or right when selected, and neither do the tail lights.
With park and headlights off, each side comes on solid when left or right signal is selected, but they don't flash. The tail lights turn on solid as well.
With all lights turned off and emergency flashers turn on, they flash, front and rear tail lights. However in emergency mode with park or headlights on, only the tail lights flash.

What have I done wrong? Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks

Fred

Attachments

• phpsYlIkjPM.jpg
    phpsYlIkjPM.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 79

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was going to say ground, you did that
I was going to say you idiot you forgot to turn the ignition on, but you did that

I remember somewhere that some of the lights were being shipped with the wiring done incorrectly at the pigtail. That's my next guess.

I am assuming that everything was working fine before you started this modification?

Then recheck the ground at the bulb itself.

A note on the blinker. The typical tuning for the factory blinker was that it needed the full load of all the lights working. If a single brake or turn bulb burned out it would default to steady on to give you a warning. Are you using LED bulbs? they probably don't have enough load to make the blinker blink correctly. Back to the mis-wire option. If park and turn are switched it will be a lower load on the blinker.

Hazard blinker blinks no matter the load.

Good luck.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Flasher here too. But check the bulbs too, to make sure that they're the correct 1157 type that has the two filaments and contacts.
I know, that's pretty "d'oh" in the bulb department, but it could happen!

Oh, and check the bulbs themselves. Either against known-good bulbs by swapping them, or by ohm-meter. It's not like you couldn't get a bad bulb these days.
We check all of ours (theoretically, as we found out a couple of months ago :-[ ) and come across a bad bulb in most shipments.
Unusual then for you to get two perhaps. But again, hey, it happens.

Paul

OP
OP
gnsteam

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Yes all was working fine before I did the upgrade. I'm stopping to pick up a new flasher switch this afternoon. All the bulbs are new, front turn signal and tail lights. But one could also be bad, I will ohm meter them all. I will also check and compare the pigtail wiring on the new housings to the old ones.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'll post up what I find.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I am having the same problem. I added the ground straps like you which got them working somewhat but still not all of the time like they should. Interested to see what you come up with as I haven't had time to dig into it.

OP
OP
gnsteam

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I had just enough time between my first a second job to install a new turn signal flasher today. However this did not solve the no flashing problem.%) The problem will have to wait till my nest opportunity to work on it, later this week.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Are they brighter on just the parking light setting then when you select on side or the other? Seems as though there are some of the new buckets that were wired backwards from manufacture. Not sure that that would solve the non blinking issue though.

OP
OP
gnsteam

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Are they brighter on just the parking light setting then when you select on side or the other? Seems as though there are some of the new buckets that were wired backwards from manufacture. Not sure that that would solve the non blinking issue though.

I solved the non blinking turn signal problem. The new 66-68 turn signals were indeed wired backwards. Using two pairs of alligator clip jumps. I reverse wired between the plugs and they started blinking. So a simple cut and re-splicing of the bucket leads, and all is well. So excited that they were working. My son and I took it for a test drive.;D

Thanks to all for your input and suggesting the bucket mis-wiring.