• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

altenator

Jolly66

Loc.
Albuquerque
do most of you use the old auto zone atlenator or something else? Mine stopped on me and I'm too broke to get a 3g.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have had good luck with the standard 60A alternator. Nothing special. I do have a fair eletrical load as well.

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
i just picked up a 3g today with harness and 30day warranty for $23.00 at wrecking yard.

Raskew

Loc.
Vancouver, B.C.
How can you tell if an alternator is a 3G? I see these 1 wire GM alternators all the time with about 140A. Are they the same thing?

Rick

Broncobowsher

Total hack
3G is for 3rd generation. First generation was what was stock. Second was the mid 80's internialy regulated. thirs is what's out there now.

GM alternators are different. They can be adapted, but they are not a 3G.

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
Ford is up to 6th generation right now :p
pictures of them here: http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/public/alternator/

1Galternator02.jpg

2Galternator01.jpg

3Galternator01.jpg

4Galternator01.jpg

6Galternator01.jpg

Last edited:

I have a few older stock ones. Yours for shipping. I will have them checked out at parts store before shipping if you still need one. email, pm or post.

Matt_W

Loc.
Connecticut
I have a Delco alternator in mine. Easy to install and you get rid of the voltage regulator. I did the whole conversion with a napa rebuilt alternator for under $50. Amp gauge still works too. You will have to make a new alternator harness though.

carchie

Loc.
Tyler, Tx
Go to a junk yard and look for one of the following:
93-96 Tarus 3.0 V-6 Non SHO
94-96 Mustang 3.8 V6
94-95 Mustang 5.0
94-96 TB 3.8 Non SHO
95-96 Windstar 3.0 v-6
93-96 E/F Trucks and vans 4.9
96 Sable 3.0
94-96 Cougar 3.8 v-6
Be sure to get the harness that goes to it you will need it. All should be at least 110amp, some are 130, find a car that is loaded better chance of 130.

Then go to
BC Broncos Tech Tip and Chuck as the installation.

Like sicaz66 said should be able to get one for cheap. The only thing I had to do is tap the tab that the adjuster bolt goes in. You could use a nut and bolt but I thought it would be a pain.

Chris