• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Altering tie rod ends .

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
SO My Bronco is really only used on my farm . I almost never drive it into town . Which is only 5 miles if I did drive it into town.
wHICH SOMETIMES I'LL drive it in a parade or car show but that's about it.
But using it on the farm the tie rods wear out in about 2 years .
I guess kind of like rock crawling . SO I've came up with the thought of . Altering my tie rod.
... THE LONG TIE ROD that our Broncos use . It cost so much but It looks to me like I could remove the long rod & Cut it off maybe 8 or 10 inches . & Then buy a good quality DIE 1 1/6,, I BELIEVE that is what the thread is . HAVE TO CHECK THAT MORE but . .
... As I HAVE ABOUT 3 OLD TIE ROD SECTIONS I'VE PULLED OFF different Broncos . I could reuse the adjusting sleeve from one of those & Buy a new short tie rod end.. The short one may be $40.00 but 40 is much better than 215.00.
... & I believe I could just put the long rod in a good vise & get out my big boy wrenches & put new threads on the cut off end
of the rod.
......WILL THAT WORK . If not what am I missing.
..... I align my Bronco my self so .
... What do you think. For some reason I THINK THIS IS about what they do to make the adjustable links .

Digger556

You might want to look at doing the Chevy tie rod conversion. The tie rod ends are heavier duty and individual units, which are easily replaced.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
When chuck was building the f-150 tie-rod kits he was cutting and threading em on a lathe. Years ago we were in a pinch to get my 72 going so we cut off the end and welded an adjuster on it so we could thread in the stock short end that was available local. Worked fine but had to drop it out of the knuckle to adjust.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Papitt, I would do the Chevy 1 ton conversion. Look it up at ruffstuff.com for parts.

Once you have the bars, the individual TRE are only 25 bucks a piece to replace.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd like to see a new "adapter" sleeve. Bronco-size threads on the tie-rod side, and full-size rod end threads on the other.
On the flip side of that though, your idea of the re-threading the long side so that a short side would fit would be just about ideal. Other than the fairly high cost of a die that large, and the fact that you might not use it often (though of all people, YOU might actually use it multiple times) the only real downside if you can call it that is not being able to adjust it without removing the rod end from the knuckle.
Which is not a big deal if you think about it, because other than to compensate for a bent tie-rod, you're not likely to have to re-adjust toe-in very often for use on the farm.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

But what the others said about the GM "1-ton" conversion is legit too. Even though the geometry is not ideal, it works really well and for the use you intend to put it would be fantastic. Less expensive replacement parts, more robust replacement parts (in theory could last longer, but only time would tell of course) and probably easier to find parts as well.

You might run afoul of the weak link in the system now and then (the passenger side rod end) but even that's not usually a deal-breaker.
Our conversion system is designed for the Bronco doing just what you want, but of course it's that extra initial cost for playing that would hinder you. Not the actual cost of either the WH conversion or the GM swap, but the fact that you'd still be wasting all those spare rod ends and stuff that you're trying to utilize.

All good options it seems. Best would be if you can find a friend that has a lathe they can turn the threads on instead of buying a die.

paul

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I could be wrong but wouldnt the lathe allow you to do reverse threads so the adjuster works properly? I think that's what chuck was doing.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
1.0-18R is the thread on the stock tie rod and adapter sleeve. The tie bar end would be LH thread.

My thread on tie rod ends has a bunch of part numbers you can try to source at local stores.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309148

Since you only use it on the farm, the idea to weld the sleeve on the tie bar end doesnt sound too bad.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... OK Paul thanks for you input.
WELL AS IT IS I do have my Hunting BUDDY HAS A LATHE. & iT COULD CUT NEW THREADS For me . I was trying to not Take one of his employees out of commission for a couple of hours. Another words if he's working for me He ain't EARNING MY BUDDY A LIVING. & my Buddy is very tight. But normally I don't pay for my items wanted.
.. But .
... I googled that Die & they were not but about 35.00 to 65.00$ ..That would not bother me knowing I could do the 2nd one free.
& I even found a left handed threaded die.
... Did I miss something in those replies . Maybe one end is 1 inch & the tie rod end is maybe 1/16 or 1/8 larger . So I'd need a step adjusting sleeve . & Also in side of the sleeve would need to be reverse threads.
... That would sure make WELDING THE SLEEVE ON MORE FAVORABLE.
..THANKS Guys & I guess that should have said. Since you GUYS KNOW EVERYTHING .

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
t... OK WORK WITH ME HERE JDGEPHAR...
SO What I think I'm reading is the CHEVY CONVERSION Is basically the same tie rods But just about an inch SHORTER THAN our stock Bronco parts ... Maybe stronger but will fit about the same . ''SAME ENOUGH TO WORK'' ..
BUT .. What do I do to put a new tie rod end on the Driver side..
How dose the chevy end fit on to what long rod .
I'm missing something ..
........This may sound crazy but being an old parts man .
... Say some Guy comes into our store. He SAYS I need A TIE ROD end for my 72 Bronco .. / drivers side..
We pull out the long rod.. Joe Customer says no mine is only 5 inches long .. mOST OF MY PART'S GUYS Would have just pulled the one for the pass side & showed it to him . Not messing with the Guy .. DON'T CALL HIM A LIAR. He obviously doesn't know his right from his left.
But Just get him back on the road & make the sale.. I told my guys DON'T PROVE HIM WRONG . Just make the sale.
.. SO When we showed the Guy the opposite side rod end . He's say yea that's it.
But he'd gotten a part for his 72 Ford Bronco .
nOT TRYING TO EXPLAIN HOW SOMEONE BEFORE HIM HAD FIGURED OUT THAT SOMETHING FROM A 10 year old newer chevy was better for his Bronco .
... Now I'm not apposed to putting Cheby parts onto my BRONCO .. iF THEIR BETTER & EASIER TO GET .
& I DO Have a log book for my GRAND SONS if their Smart enough to not throw it away when they inherit it .
... After all I have a 72 Ford Bronco, Half Cab..
Panted PLASTIC CAMO .
a JEEP Front homemade bumper .
International ScoutII STEERING BOX.
DODGE 1972 Saginaw P/S pump .
78 FORD P/U steering column TILT from an AUTOMATIC But converted to my MANUAL TRAN.
NP435 TRANS from some old Ford 3/4 pickup. 2 wheel drive.
1974 CHEVY BLAZER FRONT disk brakes .. caliper & rubber hoses from 74 cheVy P/U.
seat from 1987 BroncoII.
... RADIO From IH 1586 Tractor.
DIESEL 4 BT CUMMINS Motor 1986 bread van.
Clutch Slave Cyl & Master cyl from 1 ton ford 89 Pickup .
J&B's Custom made twin shifters for my transfer case.
TAIL GATE is Flow Through THRU. No Ideal what it was supposed to fit.
Sandford & Son I got while doing Parts Stores Opening & Closings & Inventories .
But it's so COOL..
ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP is from 2000 Dodge 24V Diesel motors .
Why's PaPitt got 16'' wheels on this Bronco .. Because a few models came with them.
Why's His Bronco got the wrong FRONT AXLE IN IT . HIS Was supposed to have had a DANA30.
BUT His had a DANA 44. HOW'S THAT OLD FART FIGURE ALL THIS OUT.
HEY Check this Out all the LED LIGHTS ARE HOOKED UP TO ABOUT 20 DIFFERENT TOGGLE SWITCHES .
hOW'S HE GET ENOUGH POWER to all these lights. Hey check this alternator out .It's Huge . Is it a LEECE NEVILLE DUVAC Alternator .. NO SAYS IT'S a DELCO 24SI. 120AMP.
HEY LOOK AT THIS LITTLE BITTY STARTER. hOWS IT START THIS DIESEL MOTOR . It's a Mimi from a 1989 ford pickup
Wonder where He got this head ake rake is old school . Neat. & Check out all the attachments on it .
Hey look inside at this GUN RACK OVERHEAD .. iT'S CAMO COVERED also just like the outside . Is this CUSTOM ... YOU RECON.
He made this .. But look it's cut out around the wipers & It's got overhead speakers in layed in the corners overhead . & Check this out I can pick my self up by holding onto the Overhead Gun Rack .. It'll hold up 200 lb me ..Man this thing is strong.
& It's insulated overhead also to cut out extra heat.& It's got lights in it .. COOL Where the toggle or flip switch for the overhead lights .
HEY WHAT'S THIS STOMP SWITCH ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE FLOOR FOR. HELL WHO KNOW WHAT Pa Pitt did that for.
Hey check out these Jumper cables hanging into the Head Ake Rack .. Where do the clamp to th battery. Hey they got trailer 2 wire trailer connector on the other end .Hey here the Female plugs on the FRONT & BACK BUMPERS. \ NO ONE CAN BORROW HIS Cables & not put them back in his Bronco .
... Hey this motor doesn't have a FAN BLADE ON IT how's it stay cool .
It's got some kind of Champion Aluminum radiator on it.
................. ''THAT GUYS WAS A HEADS UP NOTE POSTED HERE MANY YEARS AGO .$102.00 Radiator from E-BAY....''
...... HEY Check out all this stuff hong onto the top of the cab. His tool chest is stuck to the ceiling of the cab. How are they stuck .. Magnets . He got from that Wind Generator Motor Plant . He had to go evaluate it after It closed down . Because the owners got the SOLYUNDRA MONEY & sent the employees packing .
... During the evaluation some magnets walked off ... THESE Things are strong .Nothing has fallen off the celing .
I guess not it takes 140lb to pull the wrench down you need to use.
Man this is a neat service vehicle. It's got OnBoard Air also .
.........Why DID HE PUT Manual Lock on his 4 wheel drive hubs..
IT CAME THAT WAY.
...........SORRY For switching to 3 person while writing that diddy. That's a no'no' BUT SURE NOT MY 1ST.
i JUST GOT TO TELLING IT .. AS After I PASS My Grand Sons will find my BRONCO & Then they wish they'd have listened to me about all the stuff I'd done to this BRONCO .
... the Grand Sons Will Inherit my farm & My Bronco . Being it's a Diesel I'll bet it's still running great .

... But they've still got to wait several years .

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Did I miss something in those replies? Maybe one end is 1 inch & the tie rod end is maybe 1/16 or 1/8 larger? So I'd need a step adjusting sleeve?

No, not needed. I only commented on that by way of obtaining either easier-to-find parts (like from full-size GM's) or larger/stronger parts (like full size GM/Ford rod ends) as a way of either lasting longer or being easier to source.
No actual need for it, if you can find the regular size die and use a regular size sleeve, you can utilize your left over good rod ends. With a standard sleeve you could also set it up for just using Bronco left side (short) rod ends on the right side too. One part number that way, stock Bronco but now you have two short sides adjustable.

Also in side of the sleeve would need to be reverse threads.
That would sure make WELDING THE SLEEVE ON MORE FAVORABLE.

Yeah, the whole left/right forward/reverse thread thing would depend on what you could find and what you were planning to use for the new end. Welding a sleeve would save most of the work.

Paul

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
t... OK WORK WITH ME HERE JDGEPHAR...
SO What I think I'm reading is the CHEVY CONVERSION Is basically the same tie rods But just about an inch SHORTER THAN our stock Bronco parts ... Maybe stronger but will fit about the same . ''SAME ENOUGH TO WORK'' ..
BUT .. What do I do to put a new tie rod end on the Driver side..
How dose the chevy end fit on to what long rod .
I'm missing something ..

Assuming that you have stock knuckles and tie rods right now, get yourself an ES2012S adjusting sleeve (which is a stock part for the Bronco passenger side) and a ES3009R for the driver's side. Use your left hand threaded die on the tie bar that you cut the driver's side ball joint off of. An ES3009R can be used on the passenger side too, if you need.

ES3009R is 0.2" longer overall than the stock EB part, ES391R. Hopefully not going to matter much, unless your out of adjustment room to make it shorter already. ES3009R worked great on mine. ES2914R is the same also, but adds another ~0.1" to the overall length (making it ~0.3" longer than stock).

The Chevy ends that I posted (ES2011R) fit in the F150/1978+ Big Bronco knuckles that have a larger tapered opening for the stud on the ball joint. ES2011R won't work on any stock EBs.

There may be another application that works with the stock EB knuckle, but I haven't researched beyond these. I also have not checked if there are any clearance issues with the tie rod end and wheels. I know some combinations get pretty tight.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
thanks JDGEPHAR .. you've got great information..
.....& Thanks again PAUL . Your always Johnny on the spot with good advice.