• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternator warning light.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Shouldn't take much to study the 3 and make a simple wiring on how to do it.
Yep, pretty straightforward.
The problem is that back then Ford did not use an ammeter with a light. So all the diagrams show one or the other. Not both.
For that you’d want to use diagram off a more modern vehicle perhaps, but in that case, they don’t use ammeters at all in most cases.
And none of them have external regulators anymore anyway.
Maybe a diagram from an 82 or 83 bronco?

The regulator either had four wires and a light, or three wires and an ammeter.
With the full-size trucks, getting a gauge with a shunt and our Broncos with an inductive ammeter.

I’ve never even experimented with what would happen if you added a light into the S circuit on a 3-wire bronco regulator, or an ammeter with a 4-wire hook up.
Does the addition of a bulb to the circuit on a bronco cause an inconsistent voltage drop? Perhaps a light on the dash that flickers or glows dimly?
And does the addition of an ammeter on a four wire hook up change how the ammeter reads, or also do something that makes the light work inconsistently?
It’s either four or three wires, do you need to add a diode to the resistor circuit?
All questions that I have never seen answered.

Any ideas on either of those scenarios Steve83?

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
I think it is either/or, not a combination.

==========================================================
AMMETER
Key ON power closes field relay suppling full 12v to rotating field causing alternator to charge.

1699638541089.png

==========================================================
INDICATOR LIGHT
Key ON power supplies LIMITED power thru Indicator light to rotating field, allowing enough voltage (non DC) from stator windings (thru STA term) to close the field relay, supplying full 12v to rotating field causing alternator to charge.

1699638802237.png

I did come across a Integrated LED Battery charge / level indicator light, that would be a simple install, but the only vendor is E-bay UK.