• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

alternator wire harness

TheLimeRanger

figured while I was replacing the alternator, I might as well address the crusty harness. I noticed that the vendors only carry the harness up to '73. of course i have a '74. is the harness the same for 73-77? or am I just sh!t out of luck?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They were "similar" but with enough changes that if it's not listed for your year I would not try it unless I could see an accurate picture first just to make sure it utilizes the same type of connector (which changed at least once over the years) and other stuff.

If the strain-relief/connector thingy that attaches to the back of the alternator is slightly different, that can probably still mount to the alternator. But they changed those at least twice over the years as well, so it's worth noting at least.

Are the older ones even still available still? I thought they had been discontinued, but maybe that was the ignition harnesses.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I actually thought the main connector at the harness end had changed in '73 but it appears it still used the flat type connector. Is yours the more rounded "Dura Spark" type connector, similar to what you see at the ignition modules of later trucks?

Paul

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
harness

You might look at one of the mustang supply houses. i.e Virginia mustang or Dallas mustang parts; They have a much bigger variety of choices. Mark in San Diego. Beach City Broncos.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
not a bad idea to freshen it up..

figured while I was replacing the alternator, I might as well address the crusty harness. I noticed that the vendors only carry the harness up to '73. of course i have a '74. is the harness the same for 73-77? or am I just sh!t out of luck?