• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternator Wiring in 1975 V8 Ford 302 Bronco?

OP
OP
MerganserMaster

MerganserMaster

Thanks for the advice, I have another electrical gremlin question to solve now though. Initially the odometer was "stuck" at 20 mph and did not change at all when I turned the engine over, fixed the wiring, etc. Now it is stuck at 90 mph and I am unsure why/how it happened. I did move the Bronco forward a few feet (by towing it with another truck, and it was in neutral with the battery completely disconnected as well). Is there a chance that I could have bumped a wire while messing with it and "re-activated" it somehow? I was assuming that it was broken and needed replacing but now I am unsure.

https://flic.kr/p/2p3P96U

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nope. Nothing like that.
The speedometer (speed) and it’s odometer (miles) are mechanical and run off a cable attached to the transfer case.
There is no electrical connection at all. Just happens to be in the middle of all the electric gauges.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There is a magnet and a metal cup. One spins with the cable and "drags" the other one through the magnetic flux. The other is attached to the speedo needle. Something is awry in that.

OP
OP
MerganserMaster

MerganserMaster

Update:

I just wanted to provide everyone an update on my progress on this Bronco (I have made many posts asking for help/ideas/suggestions and whatnot). As of now it runs and drives decently. I have not taken it anywhere other than my family's property (where there is a "trail" in the woods that I can drive through/around) but, I have driven it for distances of approximately 2 miles without issue. I still need to finish rebuilding/bleeding the brakes and ensure that all of the signals/lights work on it (as well as get some new tires). I am in the process of getting the title transferred over (from a family member) and I hope to have it on the road soon once this and the aforementioned issues are resolved. I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for all of their help with this project, I could have never of done this without it. When I started this project in May of 2023, the Bronco had been sitting outside, under a pine tree, for the past 20 years and the motor was seized along with the wiring chewed through. Although there is still much work to be done I am grateful to have come this far. Thank you all and God Bless!

https://flic.kr/p/2pGPzS9