• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Am I crazy, Trading Jeep for Early Bronco

1970excursion

I did not really give it a second thought until I pulled the jeep into the garage.

Selling my 54 Willy's CJ3b, Frankenstien, to make room for another 1970 BKO.

Both are rust free, running and driving. Both have been parked and forgotten about for the last 6 years.

Any other type of jeep would have been gone long ago, but this is a straight high hood. Thoughts????

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I know the old ones are not Mopar but I kind of consider them all Mopar now and I am a Mopar guy and even I think Jeeps are kinda Meh. Bronco has a style of its own, the only thing that comes close is the Scout. I would make that trade in a heart beat.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Whatever you know you will.use more.

Bronco, Bronco, Bronco. ;)

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lolol.. bunch of haters. I bet there are far more trendy Bronco's on the road than that old Willy's.

Keep the Willy's, paint job and simple running gear shouldn't be too much. Then drive that little billy goat all over the place.

Different than all the other cookie cutter Bronco's and Jeeps, for sure.

Nellybell

I like the Willy's but it has much less utility than a Bronco. While modern Jeeps are pretty much cookie cutter, an early Bronco can be as unique as you wish and still be extremely serviceable. Good trade.

Good luck,

Ted

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I like that Willy's, it's got a lot of potential. Depends on what you are after - I like the size of the EB and the EB running gear. Both have a lot of style and can be made into what you want for the most part. Tough call really... but I'd probably give the nod to the bronco. But what did you expect, this is a bronco site ;)

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I know the old ones are not Mopar but I kind of consider them all Mopar now and I am a Mopar guy and even I think Jeeps are kinda Meh. Bronco has a style of its own, the only thing that comes close is the Scout. I would make that trade in a heart beat.

F Mopar. AMC for the win. :cool:

I have a J10 and a Full size Chero. Lemme tell you, Chrysler/Mopar got the way better deal out of their takeover of AMC/Jeep. Jeep is one of the few, maybe only reasons Chrysler is still in business.

Had AMC had another year or two of cash in the bank they would still be making vehicles. The '84+ Cherokee platform made Chrysler millions. It was designed by AMC and is one of the most successful vehicles ever made.

I love my Bronco but the older FSJ's are my second favorite.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Bronco would ride ten times better than the Willy's due to a longer wheel base and coils on the front.

Willy's would look awesome done up in Olive Drab.

fs_1946_Willys_Overland_Jeep_CJ_2A_Olive_Drab_fvl__2005_WW_WD_DCTC__DSCN7434.jpg

OP
OP
1970excursion

1970excursion

Can't keep both, wife thing. Supposedly I already have too many "lawn ornaments".

Not trading strait across. More like selling jeep to make room and money to dump in the bko.

Attached a draft of a possible Craigslist add... Now just not sure how much i could really get for it. Thinking asking for $5 and appeal to the jeep crowd.

1954 Willy’s Jeep Cj-3b High-Hood “Frankenstein”
Third Owner, of this fantastic rare High-hood flat-fender jeep named Frankenstein.
Frankenstein got a frame off restoration done in an open back yard on a college budget in 2004. Then shortly after sat, and only drove around during the summer months. Now with a family and other projects competing for time, I want to hand Frankenstein off to someone who will take this beast to the next level.
The Good – 95% Rust free jeep. Chevy 350,Edelbrock Carb. Long Tube Fenderwell exit headers, 2” Rancho Lift springs. 1” Lift shackles 0.5 Body lift. 33” BFG ALL-Terrains (50-60% Tread), 6 point roll cage. Drop pitman arm, Typical Custom rear jeep bumper, Dual electric fans, Full size spare, Lots of extra parts.
The Bad – Unknown mileage(less than 3000 since I built the thing from 2003) Cloth bucket seats from unknown vehicle. Has stock 7 gallon fuel tank and gets 7 miles a gallon. Does like to try and overheat on hot summer days, Blew the stock heater core out last year. Did not have a shop at the time, so shock mounts could use some re-work. Expired tag’s
The Ugly – Called Frankenstein because of the mix of parts. GM Goodwrench 350 crate engine from donor Chevy-PU assembled early 2000, Aluminum intake from 80’s Iroc-Z,. NV435 GM truck 4 speed unknown origin, Advance Adapter mating a 1983 Jeep Dana 300 Transfer case. Power Steering from 80’s camero, Saginaw style power steering pump Chevy blazer, mid 70’s Chevy alternator, Power brake booster/master cylinder from 90’s Ford F-150. Pedal assembly from 80’s Ford truck. Hydraulic clutch mix of mid 90’s jeep and Chevy parts. Front & rear axles (drum brakes w/ 4.27 gears) from 1972 Jeep CJ. After market Soft top and doors for 60’s jeep bought in 1980’s. Did not have a shop at the time, so shock mounts could use some work. Custom wire harness (good/bad? Ugly in spots) had to cut cross bar out of cage to make room for windshield wipers.
Box of extra parts – 2 plastic bucket seats, 12 gallon fuel tank, Tach, shifter levers, spark plug wires shackles, filters, mirrors.

$9999999 Firm, no low baller’s. Partial trades considered for Early Bronco stuff. Email for contact info and more pics/details.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
The old Willys is cool ( I have a 53 M38A1 ) but I'd pick the Bronco over it any day if you can only keep one.;)

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
F Mopar. AMC for the win. :cool:

I have a J10 and a Full size Chero. Lemme tell you, Chrysler/Mopar got the way better deal out of their takeover of AMC/Jeep. Jeep is one of the few, maybe only reasons Chrysler is still in business.

Had AMC had another year or two of cash in the bank they would still be making vehicles. The '84+ Cherokee platform made Chrysler millions. It was designed by AMC and is one of the most successful vehicles ever made.

I love my Bronco but the older FSJ's are my second favorite.

I don't disagree with you, other than I have never been too fond of the bigger AMC engines, the inline Jeep engines and Scout where rock solid but I was never impressed with the reliability of their V8's. They used Mopar trannies for the most part so it's kind of same same. My dad was an AMC/Mopar guy so I came up liking both, My dad had a wicked gremlin that he put a Hemi in. I did not like the Mopar stuff for a long time, until Mercedes got ahold of them and started cleaning them up. It's too bad they decided it was a lost cause, because they really did a lot to restore the brand. Fiat has done a decent job of keeping it going, but Mercedes really turned it around, the new Hemi's where a good start to rejuvenating the Mopar lines, the magnum motors where always meh. People are pulling some decent power out of them now, now that they are cheap junkyard motors but they where never really performers in there day. As far as AMC goes I just never liked the AMC body lines, including the Jeeps they produced, I can't think of a single AMC vehicle that I am wowed by the body lines on. Maybe the AMX, but I think the Mopar B bodies look better.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sell franky, the bronco will be more family friendly,ride better and I'll bet there's alot of Bronco guys in your neck of the woods to help you work on it. Oh yea, I'm sure the wife will like it better! :)

frenchy

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I don't disagree with you, other than I have never been too fond of the bigger AMC engines, the inline Jeep engines and Scout where rock solid but I was never impressed with the reliability of their V8's. They used Mopar trannies for the most part so it's kind of same same. My dad was an AMC/Mopar guy so I came up liking both, My dad had a wicked gremlin that he put a Hemi in. I did not like the Mopar stuff for a long time, until Mercedes got ahold of them and started cleaning them up. It's too bad they decided it was a lost cause, because they really did a lot to restore the brand. Fiat has done a decent job of keeping it going, but Mercedes really turned it around, the new Hemi's where a good start to rejuvenating the Mopar lines, the magnum motors where always meh. People are pulling some decent power out of them now, now that they are cheap junkyard motors but they where never really performers in there day. As far as AMC goes I just never liked the AMC body lines, including the Jeeps they produced, I can't think of a single AMC vehicle that I am wowed by the body lines on. Maybe the AMX, but I think the Mopar B bodies look better.

I was just giving you a hard time man. Got a little fired up on Guinness. ;D

I never really cared for the AMC cars. Both of my Jeeps are 360's which other than a poorly designed oil pump are pretty solid engines. The 258/4.0 are tough as nails though. I had a Dakota R/T with the Mopar 360 in it and it did pretty well power wise just had a lot of vale noise and rattled.