• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Am I paying too much?

AZbronco77

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Hey guys,
I talked to a shop today about doing work on my differentials. The work is new 4.10's on Dana 44 and 9", positrac front and rear, and overhaul. Parts and labor total $2400. The shop is reputable and has been around. However, is this too much?

Thanks

Revelation

Bronco Guru
What hourly rate do they charge? All new bearings and seals? What bearings are they putting in, US or foreign? Are you supplying the gears and lockers or are they? Are they replacing the Axle U-Joints?
Alot must be answered before one can say if it is a good price or not.

OP
OP
AZbronco77

AZbronco77

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
What hourly rate do they charge? All new bearings and seals? What bearings are they putting in, US or foreign? Are you supplying the gears and lockers or are they? Are they replacing the Axle U-Joints?
Alot must be answered before one can say if it is a good price or not.

Not sure on the hourly rate (said it would take ~10 hours). New bearings and seals. Not sure on US or foreign (Big difference?). They supply gears and lockers. Don't think that includes axle u joints.

Can you tell if thats a decent deal based on that limited info?

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Lets see (all are Approx. Using lower end parts)
$200 D-44 rebuild kit
$140 9" rebuild kit
$300 Gears (If they do not use cheap ones)
$600 Lockers
$1240 for parts
That leaves $1160 for labor
$1160 divided by 10 is $116 per hour labor rate.
To me that would be high, unless you are getting higher end parts, A mid range locker goes for 400-500 so that would make it a little easier to swallow the $2400 price.

OP
OP
AZbronco77

AZbronco77

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the info Revelation. That gives me some good questions that I can ask them before I pull the trigger on the work.
Thanks

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Just find out what brand gears they will use, and what lockers they are putting in, those could make or break it. They may be putting in higher end stuff than I priced rather quick. Granted you can catch things on sale and get a better price but at their price I would expect good gears and good mid level lockers.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
We did Running Buddys about a year ago. We Had about $ 1000.00 in it. We did all the work ourselves ....P/trac new 4:11's and disk set up ..new ball joints .new bearings ...rebuilt calipers ..about 3 nights ....I don't think my labor was worth that much ...

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Lets see (all are Approx. Using lower end parts)
$200 D-44 rebuild kit
$140 9" rebuild kit
$300 Gears (If they do not use cheap ones)

Shop around, you can find much better prices than that. I've installed a lot of gears. I pay less than $100 for a master install kit and around $150 for a set of Yukon gears depending on the axle. Most shops around here charge $250-$350 per axle for labor. I charge less. ;)

Yeah, I'd say $2400 is way high IMO.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
Hey guys,
I talked to a shop today about doing work on my differentials. The work is new 4.10's on Dana 44 and 9", positrac front and rear, and overhaul. Parts and labor total $2400. The shop is reputable and has been around. However, is this too much?

Thanks

Call Randy at Driven Auto Parts in Phoenix. He is around 35th Ave and Buckeye Rd. 602.269.3969

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably a little high but you have to price everything out exactly what are you going to install for lockers? front and rear? you can have $800+ just in lockers easy another $5-600 in gears and bearings. Got to have the actual parts break down before we say its to much ARB's in both ends can run you $1600 alone without gears. I've had friends get there trucks regeared for close to that price so I'd say its about what most shops are charging.