• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

American auto wire harness-no power to starter solenoid

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Hi All,
I pulled my bronco out of the garage to get the Halloween stuff down and when I went to restart to pull it back in nothing.

I've got power coming out of the ignition switch going toward the starter when I turn it to start but at some point it's not making it to the solenoid to get it to engage. Solenoid is good. Can apply 12 volt direct from battery and get it to start.

I've checked all the fuses and they are all good. I don't think that wire goes to the fuse block anyway.
Cut off the ring connector encase it wasn't making good contact and that's not it.
Anyone know if there is a relay or something that wire goes through?
Neutral safety switch was never hooked up so that shouldn't be an issue.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So there is power coming out when the key is turned to start
Nothing going to the solenoid.
Normally I would say neutral safety switch, but you say that isn't hooked up.
Next I would check where the wires are spliced together bypassing the neutral safety switch.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And check the switch itself. If power is coming out on the Red w/blue wire from the back of the switch, but is not making it to the starter relay, then there is a break somewhere in the middle. As 'bowsher was saying.

Is this the '68? Is the wiring original? If so there would be no factory splice, as the wire travels from the key directly to the starter relay. The only break in that is the firewall connector. Which is actually notoriously finicky in some Broncos.

I would pull the connectors off the firewall on the engine compartment side, check for rust/corrosion or broken/burned wires, then re-connect them to see if that helps. Sometimes it's just a bit of corrosion that decides to finally stop the flow of electrons at the worst possible moment!

When you tested the starter relay/solenoid/thingy, did you jumper the starter side directly to the battery side, or did you jump the battery to the small S post where the Red w/blue wire connects?

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like it is an aftermarket harness, American Auto Wire.
Don't expect any of the wire colors to match Paul's advise. I don't know that specific harness good enough to tell you what colors are used.
Did you install the harness or did you get the Bronco with it?

One thing I have found is most of the aftermarket harness's have the circuit name printed right on them. What is printed on the wire at the solenoid and at the ignition switch? It might give a clue if you should expect to find a splice in the wire. At which point you just have to start chasing the harness looking for it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, sorry I sort of missed the obvious stuff!
Like where both the AAW and checking the ignition switch output both! Oh well, getting old...

Would follow that it is Violet/Purple for the start wire then.
Might be correct that there is no fuse, but I'm glad you checked them all anyway, as with so many available circuits, there just might be a dedicated fuse for the starter. I would doubt it goes through a relay to get to the relay. But I'm checking that anyway...
Not sure if it's detailed, but here are the instructions for the AAW Bronco kit: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.wildhorses4x4.com/downloads/WH/6050 07-25-18.pdf I'll cruise through it to see if there is anything obvious.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nope, nothing obvious that clears up the mystery.
Might have missed something about it, but I only see mention of the purple "S" wire in the same sentence as having a neutral safety switch. They are very specific about listing it as two wires though, #5 and #6.
One running from the key to the NSS and then from the NSS to the starter relay. Nothing about having to cut the wire for the switch, or if there is already a connector of some kind in the circuit.
As said you may just have to follow the wire after all, to see what's up.

Plenty of others here have done the AAW harness in their Broncos though. Maybe one of them will chime in with their experience with the purple wire.

Paul

OP
OP
Sac '68 sport

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Thanks guys.
Turns out I did have the NSS and it's bad.
When I first converted to Auto I had the old harness manual so I didn't have one for a few years. When I did the full body off a few years ago I put one in with the new harness and forgot I did it.

Stupid flimsy plastic backing plate on it came loose some how. Thing only has like 5,000 miles on the rebuild.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad you found it. Seems to be a common issue with new replacement neutral safety switches.
Doesn't happen to every one, but for awhile it was often enough that it seems to be pretty bad. Maybe yours was part of a bad run of them?

Paul