• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

American Autowire Harness

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
For those of you that have used this harness, I have a few questions...

First, was everything in the kit to have All new wiring for a Bronco with electronic ignition, side marker lights, etc?

How hard would it be to make a Mustang alternator work with this harness?

Were you able to make it look clean and organized or is it obvious that there is an aftermarket harness in it?

This is for a show truck so all functions need to work and it needs to look as clean as possible.

jon_eds

Loc.
forest
For those of you that have used this harness, I have a few questions...

First, was everything in the kit to have All new wiring for a Bronco with electronic ignition, side marker lights, etc?

How hard would it be to make a Mustang alternator work with this harness?

Were you able to make it look clean and organized or is it obvious that there is an aftermarket harness in it?

This is for a show truck so all functions need to work and it needs to look as clean as possible.

Yes, it will have everything you need, mustang alternator won't be a problem (just need to know what wires do what on the alternator) mine went in pretty clean. All wires to engine compartment exit on either side but are long enough if you want some to exit in the center. This was my first and only harness I've installed and I am extremely satisfied, very detailed instructions with diagrams/pictures(I needed those). If I ever do it again will buy again. Only thing I recommend is to buy a good f-terminal wire crimper (think that's what u call them).

joecardi

Loc.
olmsted twp
Great kit. IT will meet all your needs. I have used two kits on builds already and would not switch to another Wiring Harness.

Vincen

I couldn't agree more with joecardi. This was my 2nd harness install (early Centech was other). This harness has everything you need. I did buy some add'l terminals and their crimpers to help me. Not a must do, but I also installed their complete grounding kit to eliminate some of the pesky grounding issues I've had with my other two Broncos. Good luck!

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
All the wiring you'll need and simple install! Now when you say a "show truck" are you wanting to stay with a completely "stock" look in the engine compartment? This harness enters the engine bay on the right and left side of the firewall and does not utilize the center openings that the original harness used. So I fabbed a plate up to cover the openings and it looks pretty good but noticeable if you are familiar with stock engine compartments. Great kit in my opinion.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
All the wiring you'll need and simple install! Now when you say a "show truck" are you wanting to stay with a completely "stock" look in the engine compartment? This harness enters the engine bay on the right and left side of the firewall and does not utilize the center openings that the original harness used. So I fabbed a plate up to cover the openings and it looks pretty good but noticeable if you are familiar with stock engine compartments. Great kit in my opinion.

Will not be a completely stock look, but I would like it to come into the engine bay through the center like the factory one did, so there isn't extra holes.

Looks like this is going to be an issue. ?:?

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
You can use these plugs to do that. You would still have to cover the square holes. I would highly recommend the braided sleeve to clean it up.

Jim W.

Attachments

• Plug.jpg
    Plug.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 310
  • Harness.jpg
    Harness.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 323
  • InstCluster.jpg
    InstCluster.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 344

crawler73

Jim3326. Did you make your own harness for the instrument cluster or is that soothing that can be bought?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The Amer. Autowire site lists the various years EB were built. Does this mean the harnesses are tailored to duplicate the changes made over the years? Until '73, the rectangular holes with plugs on both side of the fire wall handled the engine harness. From then on only the neutral safety switch is wired through that a hole in that location and the other engine compartment harnesses went through the fire wall at the right and left corners.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
That was using the AAW parts and the braided loom kit. The loom kit cleans things up real nice, caveat; get the little tool to thread the wire into the loom, the 1/8 and 1/4" are kind of tough to thread.

Jim W.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
The Amer. Autowire site lists the various years EB were built. Does this mean the harnesses are tailored to duplicate the changes made over the years? Until '73, the rectangular holes with plugs on both side of the fire wall handled the engine harness. From then on only the neutral safety switch is wired through that a hole in that location and the other engine compartment harnesses went through the fire wall at the right and left corners.

That's a question I'd like an answer to as well. Are there different harnesses for different years, or is it just modify for your application?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Will not be a completely stock look, but I would like it to come into the engine bay through the center like the factory one did, so there isn't extra holes.
Looks like this is going to be an issue. ?:?

What year is your truck JG? If a '70 or earlier, you will still have to do something about the two rectangular holes where your original firewall connectors went, and possibly relocate the fuse panel. Whether covering the holes with a plate, or making use of them, the stock connectors are not reproduced.

If just the later round hole(s), same story. Just a big grommet and pass as many, or as few wires through as you want.

Otherwise, since the AAW harness is not pre-loomed (other than some zip-ties) you can pretty much put any of the wires anywhere you want. Pass through the firewall with a simple grommet, or some exotic plug you find.
Either way, it should be adaptable to your EB and your needs.

The Amer. Autowire site lists the various years EB were built. Does this mean the harnesses are tailored to duplicate the changes made over the years?

To my knowledge, no. Only the one EB-specific harness is available at this time. It can be tailored by the installer to roughly correspond to the different years, but how it's done is still up to the installer.

That said, AAW is a much larger company that's been around longer than it's recent introduction of an EB-specific harness might indicate. With an entire department/division/company that makes factory reproduction harnesses for some vehicles.
The last time I checked they did not have a repro Bronco harness, but if enough people call in with that request, or are willing to pay a one-off custom price (I'm only guessing there) they might be able to do whatever you want.

That's a question I'd like an answer to as well. Are there different harnesses for different years, or is it just modify for your application?

I have not checked lately (been awhile) but as far as I know they only offer just the one. But since it's "semi-universal" in it's design in a way (it's not pre-taped) you can pretty much do as you please with the wire routing.
They don't even include ANY circuits specific to an original 1G Ford alternator, so leave it entirely up to the installer to come up with the heavy gauge charge cable and connections for whatever internally regulated alternator is used.

Like I said though, I have not checked with them recently on any of this, so don't take it as gospel. If there's a hint of any new stuff like that, it would be worth a call to them to see if anything interesting is in the pipeline.

Paul

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
What year is your truck JG? If a '70 or earlier, you will still have to do something about the two rectangular holes where your original firewall connectors went, and possibly relocate the fuse panel. Whether covering the holes with a plate, or making use of them, the stock connectors are not reproduced.

If just the later round hole(s), same story. Just a big grommet and pass as many, or as few wires through as you want.

Otherwise, since the AAW harness is not pre-loomed (other than some zip-ties) you can pretty much put any of the wires anywhere you want. Pass through the firewall with a simple grommet, or some exotic plug you find.
Either way, it should be adaptable to your EB and your needs.

To my knowledge, no. Only the one EB-specific harness is available at this time. It can be tailored by the installer to roughly correspond to the different years, but how it's done is still up to the installer.

That said, AAW is a much larger company that's been around longer than it's recent introduction of an EB-specific harness might indicate. With an entire department/division/company that makes factory reproduction harnesses for some vehicles.
The last time I checked they did not have a repro Bronco harness, but if enough people call in with that request, or are willing to pay a one-off custom price (I'm only guessing there) they might be able to do whatever you want.

I have not checked lately (been awhile) but as far as I know they only offer just the one. But since it's "semi-universal" in it's design in a way (it's not pre-taped) you can pretty much do as you please with the wire routing.
They don't even include ANY circuits specific to an original 1G Ford alternator, so leave it entirely up to the installer to come up with the heavy gauge charge cable and connections for whatever internally regulated alternator is used.

Like I said though, I have not checked with them recently on any of this, so don't take it as gospel. If there's a hint of any new stuff like that, it would be worth a call to them to see if anything interesting is in the pipeline.

Paul

That helps, thank you!

The Bronco in question is a '73.

brattwurzt

Loc.
Baltimore
Taking a look at American Autowire's website, they offer very little information on their Bronco Harness. Their diagrams are great, but seriously lacking on description. If anyone can answer a few questions, that would be great:

1. Are the wires printed on like Centech and Painless?
2. I see they use a 16 fuse block, are all used for the harness, or are some dedicated for AUX use?
3. Is this as "plug and play" as the C and P?
4. Does it work with the stock ignition switch?

Also, I see it is offered with "a new in-dash volt gauge to replace the outdated ALT gauge". Does this new gauge fit into the instrument cluster, replacing the ALT gauge? Or, do you have to mount it somewhere in the dash? Because the picture on wild horses looks like it's a different shape.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Taking a look at American Autowire's website, they offer very little information on their Bronco Harness. Their diagrams are great, but seriously lacking on description. If anyone can answer a few questions, that would be great:

1. Are the wires printed on like Centech and Painless?
2. I see they use a 16 fuse block, are all used for the harness, or are some dedicated for AUX use?
3. Is this as "plug and play" as the C and P?
4. Does it work with the stock ignition switch?

Also, I see it is offered with "a new in-dash volt gauge to replace the outdated ALT gauge". Does this new gauge fit into the instrument cluster, replacing the ALT gauge? Or, do you have to mount it somewhere in the dash? Because the picture on wild horses looks like it's a different shape.

1. Yes, they are printed on.

2. Not all will be used. Some are for power seats, and unnecessary stuff for most Broncos.

3. Not really. You have to make several crimps/splices, There is a TON of wires that won't be used on 9/10 Broncos, does not include a Duraspark harness (sold separately, found out the hard way), however many of the factory style plugs are in the harness and plug right up. You have to build your gauge cluster harness and it's not fun. The clips for the water temp and oil pressure sending units are a joke.

4. It does work with the stock ignition switch.

Do yourself a favor, and spend the money on a Painless or Centech. ;)

brattwurzt

Loc.
Baltimore
1. Yes, they are printed on.

2. Not all will be used. Some are for power seats, and unnecessary stuff for most Broncos.

3. Not really. You have to make several crimps/splices, There is a TON of wires that won't be used on 9/10 Broncos, does not include a Duraspark harness (sold separately, found out the hard way), however many of the factory style plugs are in the harness and plug right up. You have to build your gauge cluster harness and it's not fun. The clips for the water temp and oil pressure sending units are a joke.

4. It does work with the stock ignition switch.

Do yourself a favor, and spend the money on a Painless or Centech. ;)

Would I need a wiring harness for a pertronix?

Still looking for an answer to the volt gauge. Does it fit into the stock gauge cluster?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Would I need a wiring harness for a pertronix?

Still looking for an answer to the volt gauge. Does it fit into the stock gauge cluster?

That I couldn't tell you.

As far as the volt gauge, you can still use the stock amp gauge in the cluster. Or like we did, have it replaced with a volt gauge by Classy Chassis. You can wire it up for either one. Dad's didn't come with a gauge, must be a new thing.