• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AN fitting on mechanical fuel pump?

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
has anyone tried this fitting on their OEM style mechanical fuel pump? using this would allow me to swap my lines over to PTFE using AN fittings.

https://www.holley.com/products/plu...l_rail_adapters_and_hose_ends/parts/751166ERL

I was also going to add a check valve in the line. Any suggestions on where i should place it and what brand/model valve to go with?

edit: not sure this AN fitting would actually work since our pump flare isn't entirely the same

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It can happen. They do make inverted flare to AN fittings. I don't remember the thread size on the pump, but something like this https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stee...-Fitting-1-2-20-IFM-to-6-AN-65-79-GM,965.html

I have become a fan of the factory style hard line from the pump to the carb. It works, and it will work for years, if not decades to come. I have some that is over 60 years old and is as perfect today as they day it was installed. No specialized fittings needed.

Mechanical fuel pump already has 2 check valves built in. One going into the pump chamber, one going out of the pump chamber. What is the purpose of adding an external one? Can't tell you where to mount it if we don't understand the reason for wanting to add one.

OP
OP
Shimmy

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
It can happen. They do make inverted flare to AN fittings. I don't remember the thread size on the pump, but something like this https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stee...-Fitting-1-2-20-IFM-to-6-AN-65-79-GM,965.html

I have become a fan of the factory style hard line from the pump to the carb. It works, and it will work for years, if not decades to come. I have some that is over 60 years old and is as perfect today as they day it was installed. No specialized fittings needed.

Mechanical fuel pump already has 2 check valves built in. One going into the pump chamber, one going out of the pump chamber. What is the purpose of adding an external one? Can't tell you where to mount it if we don't understand the reason for wanting to add one.

i had read threads where folks were asking if check valves were built in, but no one could confirm. i then read that people were installing external check valves on similar engines so it had me wondering.🤔 i was entertaining one to make my cold starts a little better

the 1/2-20 fitting to the carb isn't the issue, its the push hose connection coming from the tank. wondering what folks have done to make that an AN style. i see Holley had NPT fittings on both in and out but i don't need a new pump.

edit: perhaps i'll just bend up my own hardline from the pump to the carb. aluminum best for that line?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe. Never used aluminum myself. Always used steel, just like the factory did.

OP
OP
Shimmy

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Maybe. Never used aluminum myself. Always used steel, just like the factory did.

i'l do some research on it. I know people use NiCu, but id prefer something a bit more rigid. I hate bending SS. its such a pain to work with in complex bends.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
SS is also extremely difficult to get a good double flare. Nearly impossible, but sometimes it can be done. If doing SS, I would do 37° AN flare