• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another 302---351?

cvbfireman

so the engine is about to go back in just need to pick up a different belt tomorrow and im ready to go...

my buddy told me the firing order is different then the 302?? can someone explain why??? i thought it was basically the same engine

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

heres a couple pics of the build so far..
265aae81.jpg

707cf64d.jpg

df7c2122.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking great. Can't wait to hear the news that it's in and fired up though!

On the firing order, your friend is correct. However, this depends entirely on what cam (if any) you put into it. The early 289/302 has a firing order of 15426378. The 351w has a firing order of 13726548 (notice the swapped pairs, of 5, 4 and 3.7).
There was a technical reason for this way back during the development of the longer-stroked 351, but we can get into the gory details another time.
Along the way, the 5.0 eventually changed to the 351 firing order (forget what year) so cams with that firing order are now much more prevalent than they were 20 years ago.

So, the question is, what cam did you put in it? If it's stock 351, then you know which way to go. If it's aftermarket, you have to know the part number, or look at the "cam card" that is supposed to come with every new cam.

Hope that helps.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I forgot to mention that, if it's a roller cam, then it's most likely the later 13726548 order.
If it's a flat-tappet cam though, it could be either.

And just to make sure (in case this is your first engine build), you are aware of the semi-intricate break-in procedure for a flat-tappet cam? And the special oil needs brought on by today's oil formulations?

Just checkin'...

Paul

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

oh nice thanks for the info... it is a aftermarket cam.. and the machine shop guy did give me the specs on it with a fire order.. ill check it tomorrow when i go out to the garage....

hopefully ill be dropping it in tomorrow... my goal is to have it running and the top off on saturday.. ill keep ya posted