• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another air cleaner routing question. Sorry

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The part you reference is a breather filter that fits inside a large diameter air cleaner used on most V8 engines. It filters air to the crank case replacing the crankcase vapors and blow by pulled out by the PVC. These were needed because the air filtered by the air cleaner element was too hard to plum to crankcase. So unfiltered air that had not passed through the element but was accessible, was filtered through a fiber pad in the plastic pouch. This system is not needed with the OE early Bronco air cleaner and won't fit in one. The breather elbow is 5/8" both on the passenger side valve cover and on the bottom of the air cleaner. PVC hose is 3/8". I'm beginning to believe you're not interested in learning anything. You have yet to disclose the end result that you want. Are you planning on using an OE Bronco air cleaner or the cheap open element pictured on your engine? The Bronco air cleaner is far better but requires an understanding of how it works and how it's plumbed. I see no learning curve. Your descriptions of parts are vague and seem to avoid correct terminology, even after you were given the correct terminology. None of these hoses or fittings are "1/2 inch or so".

OP
OP
Juiceman

Juiceman

Contributor
The part you reference is a breather filter that fits inside a large diameter air cleaner used on most V8 engines. It filters air to the crank case replacing the crankcase vapors and blow by pulled out by the PVC. These were needed because the air filtered by the air cleaner element was too hard to plum to crankcase. So unfiltered air that had not passed through the element but was accessible, was filtered through a fiber pad in the plastic pouch. This system is not needed with the OE early Bronco air cleaner and won't fit in one. The breather elbow is 5/8" both on the passenger side valve cover and on the bottom of the air cleaner. PVC hose is 3/8". I'm beginning to believe you're not interested in learning anything. You have yet to disclose the end result that you want. Are you planning on using an OE Bronco air cleaner or the cheap open element pictured on your engine? The Bronco air cleaner is far better but requires an understanding of how it works and how it's plumbed. I see no learning curve. Your descriptions of parts are vague and seem to avoid correct terminology, even after you were given the correct terminology. None of these hoses or fittings are "1/2 inch or so".

I know in a later post that you mention, "not wanting to learn". I am not sure if it was directed to me or some of the other posts on the thread. In my early post, I said that I had the aftermarket air cleaner and just wanted to get the stock "look". I apologize about the carb reference as I just had the manuals from the PO and was looking at that in my office and not the Bronco at the time.... need something to do at lunchtime, right?

I just wanted to wrap this up by saying that I used your and others advice above and have everything connected correctly. Thanks to the great members here and some CL ads, I was actually able to piece together a near complete (no charcoal canister, but found a near new heat shroud, good plastic air intake, air cleaner, bracket, etc.) "original style" air cleaner. Yes, it is a bit of a Frankenstein, as is my entire Bronco, but looks and running really well. Seems to idle and run better in general, and friends commented about it sounding different - in a good way - plus has the old school look. Thanks for the advice from everyone that commented on the post. And yes, I am still learning about the Bronco.