• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

CAN Another High $ custom

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I like it. If I remember correctly, Gary designed the SS windshield bottom wiper frame, that WH sells. I've read some things about him and I'm impressed.

John

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You are correct, John. You can thumb through a WH catalog and find many neat items they offer that were designed by Gary. His personal Bronco (which this one is modeled after) is, in my opinion, the most versatile early Bronco on the planet. I've seen well north of 100 mph recorded on its GPS, it can crawl through the Johnson Valley trails as Drew mentioned, it can fly through the desert (extremely low cg), and Gary's driven it to Arizona at least 3 times (3000 mile round trip) for our Stampede. And Gary's a great guy to boot - very friendly and he brings us Canadian beer to drink!

This particular truck has some differences from Gary's truck and some items may not be to everyones' tastes, but you can't argue with the thoughtful engineering and top-notch craftsmanship evident in the build.

Todd Z.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
An aspect of building such a vehicle that I see all too often over-looked is how much time it takes to actually build such a vehicle. Perhaps they've seen all of those tv shows and think that it only takes a couple days? More like months at best. None of you reading this work for free (I hope!), why should anyone else? So figure out what a skill-set like Gary's is worth hourly and then multiply that by the many hundreds of hours involved in such a build. Now ask if it's worth the price. As Drew said, maybe not to you or to me, but it is to somebody.

Frankly, I think Gary was under-paid.

TAC71

Contributor
Hi all. I am Gary, the guy who built most of this truck. Thanks for all the compliments from the likers and sorry to all the haters that can't appreciate someones elses stuff without bitching about it. Is it worth the money? Well thats a personal thing....is a ferrari worth $500000...hell no, not to me, it doesn't even have hubs!!! but the reality is...To each his own.

The guy that owns this Bronco came to me to finish the build after someone else started it and wasn't capable of the scope of work required. Unfortunately it came to me after most of the parts were purchased. Piles of quality parts, some of which I would have chose differently for the build. I used most of what was supplied and changed a few things which just would not work.

As ntsqd said, stuff like this is not done in a week as on TV. I build custom vehicles of all sorts for a living and the TV shows have 40-50 people working on those builds. I know someone who participated in one of those shows and he told about how hectic it is.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
You are correct, John. You can thumb through a WH catalog and find many neat items they offer that were designed by Gary. His personal Bronco (which this one is modeled after) is, in my opinion, the most versatile early Bronco on the planet. I've seen well north of 100 mph recorded on its GPS, it can crawl through the Johnson Valley trails as Drew mentioned, it can fly through the desert (extremely low cg), and Gary's driven it to Arizona at least 3 times (3000 mile round trip) for our Stampede. And Gary's a great guy to boot - very friendly and he brings us Canadian beer to drink!

This particular truck has some differences from Gary's truck and some items may not be to everyones' tastes, but you can't argue with the thoughtful engineering and top-notch craftsmanship evident in the build.

Todd Z.

Todd you just reminded me of my fondness for Granville Island Beer from BC. I really kind of miss Canada.

John

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hi all. I am Gary, the guy who built most of this truck. Thanks for all the compliments from the likers and sorry to all the haters that can't appreciate someones elses stuff without bitching about it. Is it worth the money? Well thats a personal thing....is a ferrari worth $500000...hell no, not to me, it doesn't even have hubs!!! but the reality is...To each his own.

The guy that owns this Bronco came to me to finish the build after someone else started it and wasn't capable of the scope of work required. Unfortunately it came to me after most of the parts were purchased. Piles of quality parts, some of which I would have chose differently for the build. I used most of what was supplied and changed a few things which just would not work.

As ntsqd said, stuff like this is not done in a week as on TV. I build custom vehicles of all sorts for a living and the TV shows have 40-50 people working on those builds. I know someone who participated in one of those shows and he told about how hectic it is.

Hate to stray off the path here but if you have pics of your personal rig I'd love to see them ;)

TAC71

Contributor
If you have Bronco Driver #34 its on the cover ,if not let me know and I can post some.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Its my opinion on a build of this nature. In order to appreciate it you have to at least have an idea of how its actually built. I think that if you have no idea it seems like a crazy amount of money-- which it is. The hours it takes to build something like this is almost endless. Theres literally only a few things on that truck that are actually bolt on-- the rest of it is pretty much a one off venture. I dont like ever aspect of it but I do like about every aspect of the quality. You can get any Icon, Tom, Dick and Shaun to build you a half-assed bolt-on truck or you can create something and thats where the effort, time and creativity all combine in the form of -- money :) .. and lots of it!! Spend $200k on some ICON/Legend truck with loads of bolt ons or something actually worth the cash, will run circles around either of those and still have $100k to buy a new Raptor and slightly used GT500!

Nice work Gary! BTW, when you set up a suspension what type of over stock heights are you running and wheelbase? I am trying to stick to 3.5" OS for height as a max-- 2.5 is really what I am looking for. Its tough because I am wanting full compression all the way to a factory bumpstop with 35-37" tires. I am guessing you are in the 1-2" OS height wise.

Again nice build!

TAC71

Contributor
Thanks for the compliments u10072... The custom axles were built prior to me getting into the build on this and were done to stock sizes with a 60 knuckle. I would have gone about 2-3 " wider overall to give better placement of the shocks. All in all it still worked out ok. As far as lift height its about a 3" lift plus tires, which are 37" . The wheelbase was stretched 3" overall, with most of that in the front. Moving the axle ahead gives 37s clearance to the firewall under comp. and turning. Its possible to deflate the shocks and still drive this thing, but on the bumpstops it would suck.

relm4x4

Loc.
Terrace, B.C, Canada
Nice lookin rig. Just a liitle FYI for you guys south of the border, all our Canadian broncos cost us double to build. With shipping costs and the way UPS and Fedex charge the shit out of us with the outrageous brokerage fees at the border.
Top notch fab work as usual Gary. Just watched Smokejumper again this summer, your bronco is still my favourite.

Stoneman

Loc.
Silver Spring, MD
Seeing this rig makes really feel like selling my rig was a bad idea. I thought I'd over it by now. Some lessons are learned the hard way.

If I were to do another ground up build (it's gonna happen...stay tuned Tom!), I would love for my rig to look like this. It's got a fantastic stance.

70K - 100K thins out the target buying pool to quite possibly only a couple folks. It's already such a niche vehicle and the price point just is going to make a sale really difficult. If it gets down to 40K...let me know!!

12gabronc

Loc.
Canada,B.C.
I wish I had seen this before I started my prodject! It aint cheep to build in Canada! I think its a bargin for that much truck! Anyone priced a new raptor lately??

Status
Not open for further replies.