• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another loose bolt

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
awesome PO left me the gift that keeps giving -- every bolt is loose on the truck. The list includes seat belt and seat bolts, transmission-to-engine bolts, cross member bolts, my passenger's side shock absorbers actually came off during driving, pitman arm was loose, etc etc etc...

The current find is the U bolt nuts are loose (some were loose enough that the actual U bolt could be wiggled by hand). Anyone know the torque specs on these? Is there any particular way to tighten them (cross pattern, etc)?

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
I Do a cross pattern tightening all 8 nuts slowly to about 100 ft-lbs. (about the same as a 1/2"-20 wheel stud). Try to keep the extra thread length similar on all of them as you go. Drive 50 miles or so and recheck all bolts. New set of crimp-style all metal lock nuts wouldn't hurt either.

OP
OP
S

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
They have no washers on 'em now, and the auto parts store doesn't carry washers for this application. The kit at the store has only the tall nuts, like whats currently on there. Do they need washers?